All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Old lady at Target
      #143905 - 01/28/05 03:25 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I just had a very annoying experience in line at Target. There was an elderly lady in front of me and about three people behind me. She had her cart well behind the checkout and was busy chatting to her friend, eventually the clerk came around and started to place her small items on the counter. When he began scanning, her attention diverted to the task at hand. She questioned the price of everything that he scanned "How much was that?" and made him recheck everything AFTER he scanned, bagged, and was onto the next item. ARGH!!!! Finally, he got to the last item and she really argued over the price, "that's not what the sign said" and she insisted that HE come back with her to check. Apparently she didn't notice the huge line behind her. Thank God someone came over and went with her to check the price.
I can only imagine how long it would've taken her to pay (with a check, no doubt). Thank for letting me vent!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please read another side to the story.... new
      #143955 - 01/28/05 07:42 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I totally understand your frustration today.

The thing is, we are all going to get old....sooner than we think.

I watch my mother, her body failing her, her mind still sharp, her face still beautiful. My only hope, is that if she were to go out by herself and end up in a predicament like this, that some sweet soul would take the time to help her out.

I know, I know, she probably never saw the line of people behind her.

I see my h father in the same shape. I came across him in the grocery store one day looking for the cat food. He can't walk fast, he can't hear well, he can't see much either. That day, I also saw the people who were loosing their pateince with him. I saw myself in those people.

There was a day, he was a deacon at his church. He is a WWII veteran, a very proud marine, who can still tell stories that would make us all cry. He supported his family as a machinist. He could fix any car or truck that was broken down or getting ready to. He was also a father to me when my own dad couldn't be one. One terrible day, he saw his oldest son die, a huge part of his heart died along with him. He still tries very hard every day to be productive, he is now 83. At one time, he could build beautiful bookcases for his daughter in college. For that matter, he could take a peice of wood and turn it into a beautiful bread box, or build shutters. He built the ones on my house that have been there for about 27 years and still look new. I just change the paint on them every few years, don't have the heart to take them down and throw them out. He lived through the depression, when every penny was precious, and most days didn't have two pennies to rub together. This lady probably did too, that is why she wanted to make sure the store was not over charging her. Watching her money became part of her fabric, even in her old age, it stayed with her.

OK, I am rambling, the point is, we all have our days. Some days are great, others are hard. I hope someone helps me out when I go out and slow things down for the people behind me.

Just wanted to share a different side to the story. Don't be offended, please.

I see both sides! new
      #143960 - 01/28/05 07:55 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

i can realy understand how frustrating that was!! I to can get very impatiant in situations like that! I try very hard to think of my grams when things like this happen! I agree with Gayla that we are going to be old one day and I just hope somone shows kindnees towards me when I do!

With out the older generation we would not be here! It was so sad to how many people in the nursing home just wanted someone to talk to and hold their hand for a moment! We need to treat our elders and our veterans much better as indivdules and as a nation!!
Just my thoughts!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Please read another side to the story.... new
      #143963 - 01/28/05 07:59 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

Gayla,
I completely see your point, my grandmother is in her 80's and it is sad to she how she's slowed down. I really shouldn't have described the woman at Target as "elderly"--she was probably in her late 60's. It was more a case of her arrogant attitude rather than of confusion. For example, when she told the cashier to come back with her & he told her that there is a line she seemed very indignant.

Re: Old lady at Target new
      #143978 - 01/28/05 10:22 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I want to be patient with people like that but most of the time I'm trying to hold in a stinky fart, or feeling anxious and I just want to get through and outta there!

Heh... I probably look all sour and horrid at the checkout..

--------------------
*Emma*

Re: Old lady at Target new
      #144105 - 01/29/05 12:45 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I agree, old people should not be allowed to leave the house. Next time, cut in front of one and get even.

~nelly~

Nelly, that's not funny new
      #144146 - 01/29/05 04:20 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

one day that will be you! (and sooner than you think). My husband is the most impatient person in the world. He gets mad at everyone who's not on high speed like he is. Lately, I can really emphathize with the older crowd since I've been having health problems. When I see someone slowly across the parking lot, I don't sigh and roll my eyes anymore. Because I know I can't walk very fast anymore since I have back and feet problems.

One day (soon) this will be you .....

Re: Nelly, that's not funny new
      #144154 - 01/29/05 04:59 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I thought what she said was pretty funny and besides I think we all know Nelly enough that sarcasm is her forte. I should know, I have the same personality type. She meant no harm by what she said and

I think there's a difference here. A person does not have control of a physical disability. What this woman at Target was doing was rude. I would have the same reaction if I were waiting on line.

--------------------

With all due respect... new
      #144167 - 01/29/05 05:53 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I beg to differ. As I watch my parents get older (late 60's and early 70's) there is a decline in their mental state, they become less reasonable and for the most part they become a little self-centered. I don't think the lady at Target realized that there was a line behind her as she was focused on her prices etc.

Perhaps she was on a fixed income and has to watch her pennies. We all need to respect the "seasoned" people...if we give them a chance we will learn from them. In Asia the elderly are respected and treated very well.

One day we may be the "old man or lady at Target" and my prayer is that I not get to the point that I annoy everyone younger than myself but if I do, they will understand.

Well said Heather....~nt~ new
      #144168 - 01/29/05 05:56 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review