All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
VENTING....IBS C..anyone with similar experiences?
      #143184 - 01/26/05 06:58 PM
armygirl

Reged: 12/03/04

HI ALL-
I am fairly new to this board..anyway just wanted to vent with people who may understand...I am only 34...This started with me aabout 6 months ago ( WHY ME? I DONT KNOW) All i can figure is I was under an extreme amount of stress...I have had this horrible constipation for 6 months!!!!I never had a problem before and it is totally interrupting my life and sense of well being.. It is such a horrible feeling to not go for sometimes 5 days..my belly feels so big and it is painful ...Noone really understands...my friends are supportive but kind of laugh it off ( oh u are still constipated?? HAHA) but it is completely not funny and the worst thing I have ever experienced.. I try to really say..well there are many people who have it much worse than me ..but when your body is not eliminating properly it just affects my whole well being...I have even recently started an antidepressant because I was at the point where...." IF THIS IS HOW LIFE IS GOING TO BE...is it really worth it?
I have been for xrays, CAT scans and upper and lower endoscopy and All they can find is a hiatus hernia and that " I am full of stool" EVeryone says more fiber and more water but that doesnt work for me...Heathers guidelines have helped some...but I just want to feel normal...any thoughts or suggestions??Also-- does anyone's constipation get worse just before their period too>?? and does anyone else feel like they have a sense of "BLOCKAGE" in their bowel..I feel like ..its not even straining its just like the food doesnt seem to move through my system..Anyway thanks for listening>>>>>God bless u all !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: VENTING....IBS C..anyone with similar experiences? new
      #143291 - 01/27/05 08:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome! So sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I can relate! I am also 34, I've had IBS C since I was about 15. I too, would go a LONG time between bm's. Its an awful feeling and yes, it does effect your total sense of well being.

Suggestions: Have you tried a SFS (soluble fiber supplement) like citrucel or benefiber? Have you tried peri-colace, its an over the counter stool softner? If you have treid these things and they are not working, ask your dr about miralax. I've taken it for years. Its a presctiprion laxative. It works wonders!! One word of caution, it is possible for your bowels to become dependant on it so you may have to take it long term. The good news is that most people do not build up a tolerance to it, like most people do to Zelnorm.

Try using the heating pad for pain relief. I know its probably the last thing you want to do but exercise really does help to get things moving! And yes, water is crucial, be sure you are drinking LOTS and LOTS of water! I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#143345 - 01/27/05 10:09 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Stress is my biggest trigger. I had suffered C for most of 18 months before I found this site. I had been prescribed Zelnorm, but that was a bomb. I have introduced several supplements suggested here, one at a time over a period of almost a year, and am MUCH better. By far, the Acacia has been the BEST!! I'm using the 2:1 Cal/Mag supplement, and just recently introduced probiotics and digestive enzymes. Hope you feel much better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#143354 - 01/27/05 10:20 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

I stopped taking the miralax once a day and began every other day. I am predominately iBS-C but I was going "water" (gross) which felt as bad. do you take it every day and when do you take it?

#143369 - 01/27/05 10:48 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I do take it everyday. Once a day in the am before I eat breakfast. Sometimes it does give me a little D. Its fine to adjust your dose as needed!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#143410 - 01/27/05 12:04 PM
Cloe

Reged: 01/27/05

I need some help.... I have C really bad! I will not go at all for 3-4 weeks... talk about build up! I am CONSTANTLY bloated and have CONSTANT stomach pains. I have been to the Doc and had an ultrasound which is normal, and an upper GI which was also normal. I was told to and are currently eating 30grams of fiber a day, but that consists of mostly whole wheat products in which I am finding out now from Heather's book not to eat so much wheat. I am also taking 2 Fibercon capsules 2x a day. I am now going somewhat regularly. My frustration is in Heather's book "Eating for IBS" it talks about how ppl can barely make it to the bathroom because of D. Well - there are somedays I would like to be in the bathroom to get SOMETHING out! Anyway - I just want to know if IBS can be as bad if I have C not D? And also- how do I get rid of the all day stomach pain and bloating????? Please help!

Edited by Cloe (01/27/05 12:11 PM)

I'm taking mirilax every morning too. new
      #143417 - 01/27/05 12:14 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I've only been using it for about a month, and I had to adjust my dose to a little less than the recommended dose, but so far it seems to be helping (fingers crossed that I didn't just jinx it ). I've also just discovered that I really have to eat a lot of insoluble fiber... every day! Not just a small amount at every meal, but a good healthy, more than one serving, size portion... after a soluble fiber base of course.

PS - Welcome to the boards!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#143446 - 01/27/05 12:52 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes IBS-C is just as bad as IBS-D!!!

The first thing you need to do is start following Heather's diet AND start taking a soluble fibre supplement (like acacia..it's been a blessing for me!!). The tablets don't usually have that much soluble fibre in them so they aren't going to work as well.

You also need to be drinking LOTS of water....I can't stress that enough....you can never drink enough water!!

Exercise each day will help get things moving as well (even if you just take a walk). I started working out 3 weeks ago everyday after work and I tell you...I've never felt better!!! I'm having a BM almost every day!!

#143453 - 01/27/05 01:29 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I also completely understand! I'm IBS-C and yes, it does make me feel so uncomfortable and stops me from doing things I would otherwise do sometimes. But the good news is after being on Heather's diet for almost 2 years it's not nearly as terrible as it used to be! It did take a while, but after following Heather's guidelines and slowly adding in more insoluble fiber my C lessened a LOT. Now I go at least every 5 days and usually a lot more often. There is hope, you've come to the right place! Feel free to ask us any questions you might have.

Here are a couple other threads about C that you might find helpful!

Boo on constipation
I miss pooping

Yep... we're pretty blunt about these things here.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#143496 - 01/27/05 04:06 PM
armygirl

Reged: 12/03/04

JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS FOR EVERYONES REPLIES> AND I REALLY APPRECIATE THE SUPPORT...I thanks for all the tips and I will try the acacia..I have already started with probiotics and I need to really get serious with the diet...THANKS GUYS!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1867

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review