All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Me and my funny faith --- really long post
      #138193 - 01/13/05 09:06 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I had a really hard day today. Not the kind everyone else is having with health problems and family issues, just your regular run of the mill hard day. Last night I went to karaoke with my friends, which I do almost every week. I couldn't find my favorite Shakira CD to practice with, which was really frustrating. While I was looking, I was talking to myself outloud saying come on, where is it? Where is it? I learned this from my mom who always asks her (now deceased) old nanny Lizzie to help her find things. Mom will really say Lizzie! Where is that sweater!, even though Lizzie has been gone for 24 years. Anyway so we're all a little crazy and we look for things by calling outloud for them. I looked through every CD case in my apartment, sorted through my desk, looked EVERYWHERE, and gave up.

The karaoke list didn't have Shakira this time anyway so it turned out to be no big deal. I did make three new friends last night which was another fun story (one of them noticed my Orthodox cross that I wear on my chain, and then showed me his own, and I NEVER meet other Orthodox Christians, and he introduced me to 2 of his friends, also Orthodox, and we turned out to know like 20 people in common), but anyway I ended up staying out until about 2, later than I'd planned.

I woke up at 7am this morning to work on my brief for my moot court team at school (so stressful), and then got my butt to my job by 10am. Here's where the fun started. I'm working as a building caretaker for a new york historic landmark building, and I will move into the building in march. For now, I am going in about 6 hours a week, two weeks a month, to keep the place superficially clean so that the club members (the club owns the building) can come in and have their meeting.

There is one woman at the club, the rest are men. She is so mean, and spent the entire day giving me extra work and belittling me. I won't go into details because I'll get all upset, but suffice it to say that the woman stood ten feet from me, pretended I wasn't in the room, and told the secretary what a bad job I was doing. She did a thousand other things, just as bad. The good part is that she's crazy, and everyone knows it. Everyone else thinks I'm doing a great job, but it's still so hard for me to bite my tongue and do what this woman says. So obviously I was thinking all kinds of hateful things about her, and saying most of them to the secretary (when the woman had left the building, of course -- I have enough tact to make sure someone is out of earshot before I talk about them!).

Anyway I was going up in the elevator and I just started feeling bad about how I had sunk to this woman's level and had gotten all angry. I wanted and needed some help dealing with her and controlling myself. I prayed aloud, which I really almost never do, except when I'm praying with a bunch of people like at church -- or looking for something! (I think the last time I prayed outloud alone was in a car accident). Anyway I was really just saying Lord have mercy a million times, nothing too poetic or special. And for the rest of the day I really was just trying to be serene and calm and do what this woman wanted, because that was the easiest way to deal with her, and probably the best way to preserve my job. She went home pretty soon after that and I worked for 5 more hours, and it was really okay.

I finally got home after 9 hours of cleaning (and I'm talking scrubbing the bathroom floors, vacuuming 5 flights of steps), and I called my mom. My parents have been in florida for a week so have missed a lot of drama about this woman talking about me behind my back, and all kinds of other horrible things, which all culminated today. So I was talking to my mom when I finally let myself cry after holding it in all day. I talked to my mom for an hour and a half. The whole time we were talking, I was either laying on the couch or kind of putzing around my apartment, moving things around, filing my nails, muting the TV so I could hear her, all kinds of things. Well just as we were about to get off the phone, I turned toward my desk and said OH MY GOD. My Shakira CD was sitting ON TOP OF my wallet (which I used today), my nail file, and the remote, both of which I used while we were talking. I'm sure the real explanation was that somehow in my distraction I moved enough things around that the CD ended up on top, but I SWEAR that the CD was noplace on my desk at all last night when I was looking all through it. And yet there it was, right on top of everything I had just used, just sitting there. I really got goosebumps and just said THANK YOU LIZZIE, and really just laughed at what a funny sense of humor God has, what an inventive and personal way He has of making sure I know He's really there. I really just sat down and cried and felt so much releif, like everything is just going to be fine. I know you think I probably inhaled too many cleaning products today but there a couple other religious fanatics on this board who might find my little "pennies from heaven" story amusing, so I thought I'd share.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Me and my funny faith --- really long post new
      #138198 - 01/13/05 09:36 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Long, sad, frustrating, interesting, funny, and happy ending story... thanks for sharing....

Hope you next days are better..... **HUGS**

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#138200 - 01/13/05 09:38 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Funny how things work, huh? Nothing can irk me more than misplacing something, even if I don't need it that moment, I can't stop looking for it out of frustration.
Glad you found your CD!

--------------------
-Sheri

#138238 - 01/14/05 03:58 AM

Unregistered

That was quite an amusing story Amanda - I definitely think you have someone watching over you. Sorry to hear your day was frustrating though, especially with that lady getting on your case. You're right to realize though that there's nothing you can do about it and that she's the only one dissatisfied with your work. Ya know, if this job gets to be too much for you, I'll take the apartment off your hands in a year jk. I hope your day is better and make sure you make use of that Shakira CD!

#138256 - 01/14/05 05:43 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I don't think I have ever heard of an "Orthodox Christian" before...woud you please tell me more about your faith!

I have been a Christian all my life...perhaps I know more about it but heard of it using another term?

#138257 - 01/14/05 05:49 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

That is quite a day. I think it is funny how things work out. I always pray when I need to find something and it never seems to fail that I find it in a spot that I would have sworn I already looked in. I also believe our loved ones stay with us in a way after they are gone. I lost my grandpa two years ago and I swear that sometimes I feel his presence near me. Maybe that seems a bit freaky to some, but I find it to be very comforting. I hope that your day is better today!

#138305 - 01/14/05 07:26 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Panda,
Thanks for sharing your story. It's kinda like you got a little present from God at the end of your rough day. Something to let you know that He really is there and He even cares about your CD.

What a nice and refreshing story. I always pray when I can't find something too. It always shows up after that.

I know you had a lot on you with that ole bag being so mean to you. I just hate it when I have to put up with someone like that because then I'm forced in a position where I don't want to be good, but I HAVE to. Plus, I always feel like I have to forgive them, when I don't want to also.

I'm glad you were able to overcome and do the right thing. I know how hard that can be.

I also would like to know what an Orthodox Christian is and what is the cross that symbolizes it. Is there such a thing as an Unorthodox Christian?

Terri

#138328 - 01/14/05 08:14 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Amanda,
Thanks for sharing your story. I love when I hear stories about the way the Lord works in peoples lives. Yes, He is an awesome God! He gave you a little lift at the end of a challenging day!

I would also like to know about the Orthdox Christian religion. I didn't realize you too shared these beliefs.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#138392 - 01/14/05 09:20 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Panda, great story! Yes, I believe in things like that! It can be very spooky and very funny, like you said. As far as the old bag, I'm going to pass along something I learned recently about my sister and the way she went off on me this summer and fall. She's bipolar (manic-depressive) and she was in a manic state. Apparently angry hostile attacking critical rants are actually a part of the disease and have no basis in fact. I was taught to think of it as "verbal vomit, a symptom of the disease." Sounds like the same thing applies here.

Hang in there, sweetie!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thank you for sharing your answer to prayer! new
      #138454 - 01/14/05 11:25 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

That is great! Isn't it fun to see how God works? Sometimes He answers in very amusing ways.

Just curious - which national Orthodox Church do you belong to? I am a Roman Catholic Christian. I have attended Orthodox services for fun and WOW is the Divine Liturgy beautiful!

It is sad that so many don't know much at all about the Orthodox Church - it is VERY old and full of beautiful and meaningful traditions! If you've never been - go to a service sometime - you feel like you are floating up to heaven!

#138489 - 01/14/05 12:40 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

This is off the subject, but what is Orthodox Christian? Just curious.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Orthodox Christians new
      #138517 - 01/14/05 02:01 PM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Here are some links that some of you might find interesting or helpful.

http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Q-and-A/index.html - good site that answers FAQ about Eastern Orthodox Christians.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ - contains info relating to the Eastern Orthodox Christian faith.

http://www.catholic.com/library/eastern_orthodoxy.asp - explains why Roman Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Churches are split - from a Catholic perspective. If you hear it from an Eastern Orthodox perspective, the slant is of course different but the events are essentially the same. Helpful reading for those who don't understand the history of the split.

Thought I would post to help those who didn't know what an Eastern Orthodox Christian is.....they've been around a LONG time!

Maybe Amanda knows of a few good links, too.

#138571 - 01/14/05 03:52 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

What a day! Glad it worked out well in the end.

Re: Orthodox Christians new
      #138608 - 01/14/05 05:05 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Wow I didn't realize so many people would be interested! I do like the websites that Little Lamb posted, and agree that the one from the Catholic perspective has a slightly different slant than what I learned, but it's basically the same. The Orthodox Church traces its history back to Christ and the Apostles, with zero theological change, and zero change in our prayers, traditions, etc. From the Orthodox viewpoint, it was the Western churches that broke away and formed the Catholic church. Obviously everyone sees things differently, but the Catholic church does recognize the Orthodox church as the oldest christian faith, I think.
As far as our specific beliefs, check out the websites because they do a better job of explaining than I could. We believe in the holy trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We belive that Jesus was fully divine and fully human, that he was both God and God's son, and human. We believe that the Virgin Mary (who we call "Theotokos," meaning God-Bearer) was a virgin when she conceived Jesus. We believe in Heaven and Hell, and not Purgatory. We recognize Saints because they lead a holy example of how men and women should live their lives. We pray to Saints, asking them to intercede with God for us, but do not believe saints have special powers to grant us things that God grants. I hope that makes sense.

Some things that people usually find interesting about the orthodox church is that we are baptized, confirmed, and given first communion all when we are 40 days old, rather than in 3 separate phases like in the Catholic Church. Also, married men can be ordained to the priesthood, but a single man ordained to the priesthood cannot later get married. Most of our priests are married, and their wives play a very large role in the church community. Only men can serve on the altar, be deacons, or priests, or bishops (except in a convent where a Mother Superior can perform certain roles on the altar but does not assume the role of a priest). This is because the Orthodox Church calls on men and women both to live like Christ, but in different roles. Men stive to be like Christ through ministry and teaching, and humbling themeselves to serve their community. Women are like Christ in that they give life (give birth). Some people see this as sexist against women, but women are so respected and loved in our church that all I can say is that I know it's not true.
Hmmm what else -- Oh I know. Has anyone seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? That family is Orthodox, and their wedding is just like all the weddings in my church! Our weddings are LOOOONG but beautiful and wonderful. The bride and groom both wear crowns for most of it. This is to resemble the crown of the martyr, because you are both supposed to be martyring yourself to each other. We also don't say any vows (much less write our own). Like everything else in the Orthodox Church, the wedding ceremony is very old and traditional. In an Orthodox marriage, men are called on to protect their wives as they would protect their own bodies, and to be Christ-like, in that they must give up their own life for their wife. This doesn't mean literally dying for your wife, just that you put your own selfishness aside and do everything to provide for her. Women are called to be OBEDIENT to their husbands, which all non-Orthodox people always get all excited about when they hear it. But, if the man is doing his role of doing everything that is best for the wife, then the wife has nothing to worry about in being obedient to him as she would be obedient to God.

Okay that's probably more of an explanation than anyone was looking for, but that's the main features of Orthodoxy in a nutshell.

I belong to an Antiochian Orthodox Church, which just means that the people in my church are mostly Middle-Eastern, and that the bishop in charge of our church is in Antioch, Syria. Other Orthodox Churches in the US are Greek, Russian, Serbian, and Ukranian. We all believe the same things, we share priests, we take communion together, and are of one faith. The only differences are ethnic, meaning sometimes the services will be in different languages (although most are in English now anyway), and organizational, as far as where their bishops are located, and who is in charge of assigning priests to parishes, things like that.

That's really all I can think of. Feel free to ask me any more questions! Take a look at LittleLamb's post and the websites she included, as they all have a lot of info for people curious about the Orthodox Church.

Oh this is what a typical Orthodox Cross looks like:

or

Explanation:
Concerning the Orthodox Cross:

The top bar signifies the sign that was placed above Christ's head, reading, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews." In Orthodox iconography the phrase "King of Glory" is often written on this bar instead.

The center bar is that upon which Christ's arms were stretched and nailed.

The bottom bar signifies the footrest which supported His body.
While there are a variety of pious understandings as to the slanted position of this bar -- even though in earlier Byzantine iconography the bar was generally depicted as being horizontal rather than slanted -- these are of somewhat later origin.

Oh also we have Icons in our churches and in our homes. They look like this:

Icons have traditionally been used in the church to tell a story. You can't just sit down and paint whatever you want. There are lots of understandings tied to the colors used, and how the saints and Christ look. The icons have remained very consistent over the years are not about artistic expression, but rather to tell a specific story. We do not pray to icons, but we keep them around as thoughtful reminders. We "venerate" the icons by kneeling before them and kissing them. We bless icons, but do not believe they have any kind of powers. Many later churches disagreed with the use of icons, considering it to be idol worship. But we do not worship them. We kiss them and focus on them when we pray much the way you might kiss a photo of a loved one or look at that photo when you are thinking about that person and missing him.

Okay I think I've covered the basics!

Any questions?
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

God has blessed me with good faith. Good faith should NOT be taken in moderation! -nt- new
      #138612 - 01/14/05 05:23 PM
Urban Rain

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

--------------------
If you love the meter, the beat is sweeter.

#138616 - 01/14/05 05:39 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Panda, let me tell you something, I LOVE to hear about other people's faith. I knew a good amount about the orthodox faith as I have a number of Greek friends. You are right, the wedding ceremony is absolutely a beautiful sight to witness. Thanks you for the long post educating us on what you believe. I found it to be very interesting.

As far as the other post goes, I truly think God does work in very mysterious ways. All you need is a little faith in him. Thank you for your posts today, they really put a smile on my face!

--------------------

Thanks so much for sharing.... new
      #138635 - 01/14/05 06:37 PM
XXXXX

Loved your story...... new
      #138673 - 01/14/05 08:20 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm not really religous at all (not an aethiest, I believe in god just not so much in church) but I've always said if anyone could convert me it would be my MIL. Every time she prays for some help for me (from kids to finding something) I get a surprise like yours. Gives you a really special feeling to know someone's watching out for you. Glad your day turned out well after all.

--------------------
Amy

Wow, that is very interesting. new
      #138685 - 01/14/05 08:50 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Thanks for the explanation, Panda. That was very informative.

I saw the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". That was a GREAT movie, btw, one of my favorites.

Re: Christian in Jesus' name new
      #138720 - 01/14/05 10:27 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Amanda, my beautiful olive skinned (I have always wanted skin like yours, my mom and sister have it.)adopted daughter! I am so proud you are so involved in your religion. You don't know how many times here on the boards that I thought I was one of the few who was dedicated to my savior. This thread and the writings of others has brightened my heart and my mind. It is so important especiallly in these days that we stand up for what we believe in. Quite frankly, some posts that have been made in the past have sent me to prayer, for the person who wrote them and the fact that they have never been introduced to Christ, properly!

All I have to say tonight, you are an inspiration for me and everyone else! good luck on the job !! gayla

Me and My Faith -a recipe. new
      #138727 - 01/15/05 12:04 AM
Urban Rain

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

1 part Judaism
1 part Christianity
1 part Islam
1 part Taoism
1 part Metaphysics

Mix these five faiths and you have:
"Bob's 12-step Holy Wine."

May I be quite drunk on it for the rest of my life!!!

With hope that we all keep any kind of faith,

Bob

--------------------
If you love the meter, the beat is sweeter.

Gayla new
      #138762 - 01/15/05 07:49 AM
XXXXX

I too am so thankful to have God in my life. He has seen me through many difficult time that without Him I would not have made it.

I have two kids who love Jesus with all of their hearts. They are 10 and 11 and peer pressure is such that being a Christian these days is dorky because you don't swear or let boys touch your breasts (this in the 6th grade!).

I too pray with you often...hugs, Tia

#138775 - 01/15/05 08:45 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Amanda
Thanks for the info. My father's grandparents came from Greece and were Greek Orthodox, but somehow (I think because my grandpa married my grandma who is Roman Catholic) our family is Roman Catholic. I have a few Orthodox friends. One is Greek and the other is part Syrian and Lebanese. I have been to a wedding and some services and they are beautiful. How awesome is it to be able to share with others our family backgrounds and beliefs!

By the way I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding! We had a few Nicks and Nikkis in our family!!!

Well said Gayla!-nt new
      #138811 - 01/15/05 10:24 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Tia new
      #138967 - 01/15/05 10:37 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

You are a Godly mom. Your children are so blessed that they are being brougt up by a woman who loves Jesus and wants her children to love him as much as she does!

glad to hear you pray with me....I knew I was not alone! hugs to you too!

Gayla new
      #139037 - 01/16/05 09:11 AM
Augie

I think there are a lot of us on the boards who share your beliefs and practices. I wouldn't make it without Him in my life.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review