All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
What would you do?
      #136530 - 01/09/05 12:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

This freaking IDIOT won an item from me on ebay, and she's trying to pay me with a personal check, which I very clearly don't accept. I have good reasons for this - I've had customers with flawless feedback bounce checks on me, and now that I live 20 miles from the nearest branch of my bank - and don't have a car of my own! - it's really just too much of a hassle.

So... do I explain this to her and tell her that if she's willing to wait almost a month for her item (because I'm not going to the bank again for a couple weeks, and then the check has to clear), she can pay with a check? Or do I stick to my guns and tell her that she can pay with a money order like every other person who's won an item from me for the past 3 years?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What would you do? new
      #136533 - 01/09/05 12:15 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Your rules are your rules and you have them for a reason. I wouldn't bend them if I were you cuz you've had hassles with bad cheques before.

If she wants it bad enough then she'll certify her cheque or get a money order or something...it's not that hard for her to do....she's just being lazy!!!

#136535 - 01/09/05 12:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Stick to your guns. If you stated no checks, then no checks. You have good reason to be wary of them.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#136541 - 01/09/05 12:53 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I agree, your rules are your rules, they are stated on the site and its up to her to read them. Stick to your guns!

--------------------
S.

#136542 - 01/09/05 12:56 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I sell on ebay, too, and I don't take personal checks either. I have caved in a couple of times, if the person had a good reason and good feedback. (Plus, it wasn't for very much anyway.)

I've also refused personal checks if I had any doubt at all.

However, since you've been burned before, I would stick by my guns and not accept her check. Since your auction clearly states your accepted payment options, then you are under no obligation whatsoever to accept a personal check.

Sometimes, it can get very frustrating; dealing with some people. I've had some tough folks to deal with, so I don't bend my rules very much anymore. You have to look out for your own best interest!

You're the one who has to deal with the consequences, so do whatever you feel is best for you! As a seller, I've found out that this is one area where you really have to put yourself first most of the time.

So, if it's an inconvenience at all or something you're just not wanting to do; then don't do it.

Terri

#136545 - 01/09/05 01:06 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I agree with the others Casey. Put your foot down and don't take any hassles from her. If that's your rule, she should respect that.

Thanks guys! new
      #136547 - 01/09/05 01:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was leaning towards telling her that she couldn't send a check, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable.

I'm especially leery about checks because I'm currently selling items on consignment - it's expensive stuff, and it isn't mine.

Thanks for the reassurances, I appreciate it!

Check or cheque?? new
      #136553 - 01/09/05 01:39 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Just a question for all you americans...do you spell it check instead of cheque over there? or is that a stupid question? I love finding out new things you spell differently...like obviously theater instead of theatre etc....Only just realised when I was reading the posts!. And casey.... I would accept it either!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Check or cheque?? new
      #136564 - 01/09/05 02:18 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

They write check
We write cheque

Its like colour/color or programme/program.

ALso they call a bank current account a checking account!

The things I learned when I was in NY, I even came home saying garbage!

--------------------
S.

The english language..... new
      #136565 - 01/09/05 02:22 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I know its so weird isnt it that we speak the same language but in another country the spelling differs and stuff. I didnt know they spelt programme -program....thats another new one Ive learnt!

Its weird cos I find myself speaking all american on these boards...so much influence from the others...I know you do the same sometimes, us Brits on here seem to have americanised ourselves....I laugh when I read things back cos I think...god Id never actually say that in real life! lol!

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7379

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review