All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
What would you do?
      #136530 - 01/09/05 12:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

This freaking IDIOT won an item from me on ebay, and she's trying to pay me with a personal check, which I very clearly don't accept. I have good reasons for this - I've had customers with flawless feedback bounce checks on me, and now that I live 20 miles from the nearest branch of my bank - and don't have a car of my own! - it's really just too much of a hassle.

So... do I explain this to her and tell her that if she's willing to wait almost a month for her item (because I'm not going to the bank again for a couple weeks, and then the check has to clear), she can pay with a check? Or do I stick to my guns and tell her that she can pay with a money order like every other person who's won an item from me for the past 3 years?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What would you do? new
      #136533 - 01/09/05 12:15 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Your rules are your rules and you have them for a reason. I wouldn't bend them if I were you cuz you've had hassles with bad cheques before.

If she wants it bad enough then she'll certify her cheque or get a money order or something...it's not that hard for her to do....she's just being lazy!!!

#136535 - 01/09/05 12:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Stick to your guns. If you stated no checks, then no checks. You have good reason to be wary of them.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#136541 - 01/09/05 12:53 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I agree, your rules are your rules, they are stated on the site and its up to her to read them. Stick to your guns!

--------------------
S.

#136542 - 01/09/05 12:56 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I sell on ebay, too, and I don't take personal checks either. I have caved in a couple of times, if the person had a good reason and good feedback. (Plus, it wasn't for very much anyway.)

I've also refused personal checks if I had any doubt at all.

However, since you've been burned before, I would stick by my guns and not accept her check. Since your auction clearly states your accepted payment options, then you are under no obligation whatsoever to accept a personal check.

Sometimes, it can get very frustrating; dealing with some people. I've had some tough folks to deal with, so I don't bend my rules very much anymore. You have to look out for your own best interest!

You're the one who has to deal with the consequences, so do whatever you feel is best for you! As a seller, I've found out that this is one area where you really have to put yourself first most of the time.

So, if it's an inconvenience at all or something you're just not wanting to do; then don't do it.

Terri

#136545 - 01/09/05 01:06 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I agree with the others Casey. Put your foot down and don't take any hassles from her. If that's your rule, she should respect that.

Thanks guys! new
      #136547 - 01/09/05 01:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was leaning towards telling her that she couldn't send a check, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable.

I'm especially leery about checks because I'm currently selling items on consignment - it's expensive stuff, and it isn't mine.

Thanks for the reassurances, I appreciate it!

Check or cheque?? new
      #136553 - 01/09/05 01:39 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Just a question for all you americans...do you spell it check instead of cheque over there? or is that a stupid question? I love finding out new things you spell differently...like obviously theater instead of theatre etc....Only just realised when I was reading the posts!. And casey.... I would accept it either!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Check or cheque?? new
      #136564 - 01/09/05 02:18 PM
cailin

They write check
We write cheque

Its like colour/color or programme/program.

ALso they call a bank current account a checking account!

The things I learned when I was in NY, I even came home saying garbage!

--------------------
S.

The english language..... new
      #136565 - 01/09/05 02:22 PM
Natalie1985

I know its so weird isnt it that we speak the same language but in another country the spelling differs and stuff. I didnt know they spelt programme -program....thats another new one Ive learnt!

Its weird cos I find myself speaking all american on these boards...so much influence from the others...I know you do the same sometimes, us Brits on here seem to have americanised ourselves....I laugh when I read things back cos I think...god Id never actually say that in real life! lol!

--------------------
Natalie

Sooo American! new
      #136568 - 01/09/05 02:28 PM
cailin

That is so funny, BF read a post of mine the other day and he was laughing at my english- I had written things like "I guess" and that sort of thing. I just want to fit in so I do it. Any time I have inadvertently used a very Irish saying I always get asked what it means. We must make more of an effort to use our own dialects of English !!

--------------------
S.

Garbage? new
      #136574 - 01/09/05 02:44 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I thought I knew UK English pretty well, but...
garbage, as opposed to- what?- rubbish?

Rubbish! new
      #136577 - 01/09/05 02:56 PM
cailin

Yip, Paula its rubbish, rubbish bin instead of garbage can etc
Oh and for garage "Garidge" (rhymes with carriage) instead of "Gar-ah-ge"

The word "trash" only exist here in the phrase "white trash" which came from the US anyway.

Differences in language fascinate me!

Anyone with any questions send them this way and Natalie and I will be delighted to assist!

--------------------
S.

#136580 - 01/09/05 03:13 PM
Sara-Sage

Canadians write cheque too!

Re: The english language..... new
      #136582 - 01/09/05 03:16 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I've lived all over the US and have been interested in the various differences in local "dialects". It really is amazing the variety of accents and phrases (I am also fascinated by the differences within the UK as well). But I have two questions:
1. (for UK) is the letter "z" used in British english, other than maybe zebra?
2. (for US) has anybody heard of chipped ham? (I assumed everyone has)

Z in the uk! new
      #136584 - 01/09/05 03:22 PM
Natalie1985

Ive been trying to think of word with z in them and to be honest I cant think of any! Sinead may be able to help me on this one???...but I dont think we do....zebra, zylophone(sp?) thats as much as I can think of...words that end in ised.. always seem to be 's' in the uk and 'z' in america!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Z in the uk! new
      #136586 - 01/09/05 03:31 PM
stevensa

I almost forgot the obvious--zoo! How about crazy ?(I can't possibly believe you'd spell it "crasy", but I believe the preferred term is "mad").

Oh yea....see Im crazy!!! new
      #136588 - 01/09/05 03:39 PM
Natalie1985

nope its definately not crasy....it is late over here nearly midnight, hence the reason I am slow tonight!lol! and ofcourse zoo...trying to think of things that rhyme with crazy....oh yea...lazy, hazy(I think...hmm not sure if we even spell it like that...and I went to grammar school..shame on me!)...thought of more...craze...daze...haze...maize(I think...god I really do need a dictionary...all of mine are in spanish!)...snooze, ooze, breeze...oh yes...Im on a roll now....lol...

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Sooo American! new
      #136593 - 01/09/05 03:42 PM
Sara-Sage

I'd love to read Irish expressions. Bring them on!

#136596 - 01/09/05 03:43 PM
cailin

I am stuck on the Z one!

Its certainly not used nearly as much as in US English. Zebra obviously, xylophone is spelt with an X though! Its in things like haze, azure, zoo, etc but its definitely the hardest letter to get rid of in scrabble! (unless you have a Q and no U!)

The other one that interests me is we have words ending with -OUR and your words end in -OR like labour, colour etc.

If you are fascinated by UK accents you want to study Irish ones! I had friends from college who were from towns only 100 miles from me and they used words (and had surnames) that I had NEVER heard of. Some Irish accents are impossible. And for the record NO-ONE in Ireland speaks Hollywood Irish..top of the morning to ya! (think Tom Cruise in Far & Away) My accent is very Irish but not really connected to any one place in Ireland since I am away from home 11 years, 5 of which I spent in Limerick in the southwest and the other 6 I spent in Dublin (until I spend a week at home and then it goes back to my Wexford drawl where noone pronounces the T at the end of a word or the "th" in the middle Goodnigh' or somthin')

Nat- have you a real scouse twang...like Jackie Corkhill?

Just curious..what is chipped ham?

--------------------
S.

Irish expressions.... new
      #136605 - 01/09/05 03:57 PM
cailin

I am going to start posting in Irish English then, its settled. This is going to take some getting used to!

To get you all off on the right foot here's an introduction to some phrases that we use over here that make no sense anywhere else and people will stare at you confused looking if you use them!

"quare" this is a Wexford word, where I am from. It means very and is used in every sentence. eg It was quare good. It was quare bad. It was quare cold. It is often followed by the f word (we have dirty mouths) eg it was quare f'in good.

"lads" Lads mean guys and gals. Most other places on earth lads only means males. Not here. We don't differentiate. eg Are the lads here yet? Have you seen the lads?

"after" Used instead of have done. eg I am after eating my dinner instead of I have eaten my dinner. Apparently this comes from the translation of the phrase from the Irish language

"how's it goin'" "How's she cuttin'" think Joey Tribani..how you doing... How's she cutting is a real culchie saying

Culchie- anyone not from Dublin. Dubs think its an insult, us culchies are proud of it!

Can't think of any more...but like I said I will post in Irish English from now on. If I remember!

--------------------
S.

Shame on me!!! new
      #136606 - 01/09/05 03:58 PM
Natalie1985

Cant believe I wrote that xylophone was spelt with a z...I thought it looked wrong am just too tired! Shame on me...and Im meant to have gone to a good school aswell!lol! Proves how crap the education system in this country is....11+ indeed!

As for my accent....well dya know I dont really know what I sound like...sometimes I open my mouth for literally a second and someone will go are you from liverpool??? and when I first came from uni...the 1st people I met said...thats so cool you sound like something off brookside!! But I really dont have a strong accent at all. My family on both sides is from Aigsburth in Liverpool...which is one of the nicer areas! They moved over to the Wirral...across the mersey and thats where Ive grown up...not far from Birkenhead where lilly savage is from(paul o'grady)...I live in the really nice area though by the beach...and so where I live...one way down the main road and you get poshish accents...and one way down the other is as common scouse as it gets!! So as Im stuck in the middle I think Im midway! When Im around friends back home it obviously comes out more...just like you! Im only 20 mins from Liverpool city centre(or ofcourse you can get the 'ferry across the mersey' and so Liverpool is my home city! I love the place though...obviously Im biased...but Im very patriotic about it...especially the football team! Red all the way! And of course we have just won 'European Capital of Culture for 2008' *yes natalie rub it in! Have you been to Liverpool Sinead??...cos theres so many irish bars there we love the irish....most of us are originally from there anyway!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Shame on me!!! new
      #136615 - 01/09/05 04:06 PM
cailin

No I've never been. Cork in Ireland is the European Capital f Culture this year.

YOU SHOULD BE GETTING THOSE ASSIGNMENTS DONE!

I am hoping to skulk off to bed as soon as the decorators finish, and it looks like they are close!

--------------------
S.

#136622 - 01/09/05 04:22 PM
stevensa

I am pretty good at identifying US accents. It bugs my wife when we are travelling and I talk to the locals. I always ask certain questions just to hear them say certain words (I know I'm a little weird). You are right it would be awesome to visit Ireland and the UK, I'd be in heaven with all of the different accents and phrases. BTW we can't leave out the Canadians (My knowledge of "Canadian" is limited to "The Kids in the Hall"-- one of my all-time favorite shows)!

Oh and chipped ham is VERY thinly sliced ham.

#136630 - 01/09/05 04:33 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Actually, as far as I know in America "theatre" is the art form and "theater" is the building it's held in. Someone told me that somewhere in my 11 years of being a theatre major in school!

Re: Rubbish! new
      #136633 - 01/09/05 04:40 PM
ptillen

I knew about GAR-idge (that thing you put your car in), also lorry, solicitor (the guy or gal who initiates a lawsuit for you)- let's see, what else?
There really are increasingly two kinds of English. It's a fascinating thing to study!

#136634 - 01/09/05 04:41 PM
cailin

chipped ham... we just call it "wafer thin".

I pick up accents really easily,which is why they when I came home from my summer in the states I spoke with an american twang, had odd English when I came home from Paris, and fifteen minutes talking to my friend from Cork has me lilting away goodo in a Cork sing-song accent!

I love hearing different phrases people use, and am especially interested in the way different dialects use verbs and tenses eg there are Irish people who constantly saw "I should have went" instead of "I should have gone" or "I done it" instead of "I did it".

I am going to listen to what people say tomorrow and post some interesting idioms!

--------------------
S.

#136635 - 01/09/05 04:41 PM
ptillen

Yeah, I noticed that in the previous post about having Americanised. Not -ized. Also isn't there a different spelling of practice- practise?

#136636 - 01/09/05 04:43 PM
ptillen

Ay, I had to learn an authentic Irish accent for a show I was doing last year. It's a far cry from Barry Fitzgerald in Going My Way, or Frosted Lucky Charms.

Much prettier, I thought.

Lads- new
      #136638 - 01/09/05 04:45 PM
ptillen

-is quare f-in' similar to the American use of "guys" to mean everyone, guys & gals.

I love it!! new
      #136640 - 01/09/05 04:49 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Don't Americanise anymore! It's so cool to hear how you really speak! Isn't internet great?

--------------------
~Cara~

#136641 - 01/09/05 04:51 PM
cailin

Re practice. I always use PRACTICE. But now I am doubting myself...what do you use??

--------------------
S.

LOL! new
      #136643 - 01/09/05 04:54 PM
cailin

Its really strange to see that written down! In the UK lads only means guys, that's why I mentioned it.

--------------------
S.

Yep PRACTICE is right...never seen practise before! n/t new
      #136644 - 01/09/05 04:56 PM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

Re: LOL! new
      #136648 - 01/09/05 05:00 PM
Natalie1985

I never knew about the lads things either!! Interesting...yea over here it is strictly boys! Hey me and my friend jemma whos part irish...always use craic...I should start asking you whats the craic from now on like we do!! lol!

--------------------
Natalie

the craic is 90! new
      #136649 - 01/09/05 05:07 PM
cailin

Every day I text my family the following message "Any craic"

Funny story about this..
My 22 yr old brother and his friend were on their last night in Long Island when they are walking home mock-fighting, the way boys do. Next thing they hear a police siren and are pulled over.

The boys being drunken Irish lads ask the officer "what's the craic" (!) The officer's response is to tell them to put their hands on top of their heads and spread their legs, the lights of the police car shining on them, the two boys panicking. The officer then says "you guys Irish?" the petrified boys reply "Yes" and then officer goes "OK, You guys have a nice night". It took the two boys, hands on heads, legs spread about 15 seconds to register that they had been let go. My brother tells it really well!

--------------------
S.

fannypack! new
      #136650 - 01/09/05 05:09 PM
cailin

Over here fanny is a slang word for vagina. Fannypack is probably a verb of some sort used in the porn industry.

But to you its an innocent bumbag! If you ever visit Europe remember this!!

--------------------
S.

lol!!!!! new
      #136653 - 01/09/05 05:20 PM
Natalie1985

Haha...thats so funny cos I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day...I think it was Brittany posted something and mentioned one...I couldnt help but laugh cos over here people seriously would thing you were talkin porn! lol!

And I can just picture your brother in that situation...hilarious...yea jemma texts me any craic all the time too...from now on we should start the day by posting what the craic?

And now Im DEFINATELY off to bed...over and out xx

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Irish expressions.... new
      #136657 - 01/09/05 05:39 PM
Sara-Sage

Sinead, thanks! They're cute. Thanks for sharing.

Re: fannypack! new
      #136688 - 01/09/05 10:55 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

OMG my mom says fanny sometimes!!!! And she is NOT British, she grew up in the midwest and her family is from the south!! That is really funny...

--------------------
~Angela

Probably too late but new
      #136707 - 01/10/05 05:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I also say stick to your guns! Sometimes, well lots of time, people try and take advantage of someone is nice and it ends up backfiring for the "nice" person who is trying to be accomodating.

Especially in the Business World, I say, stick to your policy of no checks. You have to have guidelines and safe guards. And especially because you are dealing with Other peoples things. If anything was to go wrong, it would be you who would then be responsible. Don't take the chance. The bidder knew the policy and if it wasn't acceptable to them, they shouldn't have even bidded with the expectation that you would bend the rules.

Sorry didn't see this sooner, but looks like you didn't need my advice...you got all good advice from others. I should have just written ditto to everything below!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Some English slang for you... new
      #136721 - 01/10/05 06:59 AM
Natalie1985

Well as we're going all British I thought I may aswell add some English things in...baring in mind Im a northener...Linz could probably think of a few southern expressions but heres some I could think of....

Canny...a newcastle word to mean quite/kinda/very/also used as nice....eg 'That film was canny good' or she's a 'proper canny lass'

'sound'...mainly a liverpool expression to say when somethings good/alrite...eg someone might say ....I'll come round to yours later and they might reply 'sound mate, nice one'(this is my brother all the time!)

a 'chava' (said char-va) in liverpool we'd say a 'scally'...basically those rough kids who hang around the street and cause trouble!

'Aye a kna' thats what geordies(people from newcastle) say to mean yes I know...cos they say 'I I know' instead and thats how it somes out in their accent!(Can you tell I live with 2 of them!!)

A lot of people in Leeds seem to say 'innit' instead of isnt it..but even in sentences when technically it doesnt make sense...eg...but she's gona come innit?..instead of isnt she?

Rough scousers (liverpudlians) usually male add 'la' (sed lar) onto their sentences...eg when startin a fight...they'd say...'come 'ed then la'...thats basically means ...come and have a go if you think you're hard enough...they'd also say 'just do one will ya?' meaning get lost and go away!(lovely people arent they!!)

Liverpudlians also call electricity 'the lecky'....eg have you paid the lecky bill yet?

Will post if I think of any more good ones...

--------------------
Natalie

P.S sinead...feel free to email me anytime!! n/t new
      #136723 - 01/10/05 07:03 AM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

BREAD TV series! new
      #136730 - 01/10/05 07:27 AM
cailin

Natalie,
The stuff you have written there is straight out of "Bread" do you remember it "Our Avaline" etc...Very funny programme.
And the geordie stuff is so Ant and Dec/Byker Grow-av! I think its hilarious watching Donna Air on TV, so pretty with such an awful accent!

Have you ever heard the Corrs being interviewed? Quite similar, they have rotten accents!

We use "sound" here too. One friend of mine calls everyone a "sound man".

Y'know what i love to hear..words for kissing..

In Wexford we say "shift" (same context as snog) ie I shifted him...(it sounds horrid)

Where one of my friends was from Tipperary and she used to say "meet" ie I met a guy at the disco at the weekend..this was VERY Confusing!
Then there's the obvious "score" etc...I find them interesting anyway...

--------------------
S.

Re: P.S sinead...feel free to email me anytime!! n/t new
      #136733 - 01/10/05 07:29 AM
cailin

Thanks Nat (is it OK that I call you Nat? You look so friendly I started it and can't stop now!) My work email isn't working at the moment and I am really lonely without it Getting a lot of work done though!

--------------------
S.

Ofcourse you can call me Nat.... new
      #136740 - 01/10/05 07:47 AM
Natalie1985

most people do...I feel like we are all so good friends now that I wouldt take offence at anything! The only person who doesnt call me it is my mum...she tells everyone that a gnat is a fly! lol! Ive never had a problem with it myself...Id rather people said that than my full name...too long winded! And thanks for saying I look friendly...I do try xx

--------------------
Natalie

LOL!! new
      #136745 - 01/10/05 07:55 AM
Natalie1985

Yea I have seen bread....thats so funny hadnt thought of that...I LOVE ant and dec...Im just so used to hearing all of those phrases that I dont even notice...I had to really think hard to come up with a few! And yes donna air...she has a bad geordie accent...my flatmates both have realy good ones...enough of a twang without it being too common...well unless theyve had a few drinks

I always thought the corrs sounded typically irish...so Im wrong there am I?? lol!

As for the kissing words...yea that amuses me aswell...when I was at school people always said the typical 'pull' eg I pulled him last night...and that is actually what most people seem to use here at uni...but the main one when growing up was 'got into' which I always hated...sounds so nasty...Did you get in to him? My aunty always says 'did you tap off? or she tapped last night! That seems to have been what they said in the 70's...dont hear it so much now!...get off with seems to imply more than snog these days....and I love the way the americans say 'made out'...it makes me laugh!!

--------------------
Natalie

#136767 - 01/10/05 08:38 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Casey!

I totally missed this one yesterday... But my question is, how hard can it be for this person to go get a money order? Unless of course she doesn't have the money in the bank! If it were me, I'd stick to my guns and not accept anything but what you normally accept!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#136775 - 01/10/05 08:53 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

money order

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

INNOCENT BLUNDER a la nelly new
      #136841 - 01/10/05 10:23 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Yeah, I had a fannypack when I studied in Surrey. No, no, they'd tell me. That's a bumbag.

Also when you're drinking so fast you've got one beer in your right hand and one in your left, that's called double fisting. At least if you're in the US. You NEVER want to say you're doublefisting in England. Especially if you're me and you're bringing drinks back to the table back from the bar and you're yelling it to your friends. Cos doublefisting refers to a sexual act. A raunchy one. A really raunchy one. *embarrassed nelly*

~nelly~ Only drinking with one hand now

Fanny humor new
      #136847 - 01/10/05 10:28 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

There's a restaurant in College Park, MD called "Famished Fanny's". I took a picture of me in front of it and emailed it to my English friends. They all got a really good laugh.

About 8 years ago an older woman I worked with was trying to make a good impression on an ex-RAF officer who'd just started. She bellowed at him to tell his wife to shop at Frugel Fanny's, saying Frugel Fanny's had all the sales and how she loved Fanny's, etc. It was really fun watching his expression, and even funner taking her to the side later so I could explain to her what "fanny" maent. Good times, good times.

~nelly~ behaving badly

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2665 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7381

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review