All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Probably too late but new
      #136707 - 01/10/05 05:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I also say stick to your guns! Sometimes, well lots of time, people try and take advantage of someone is nice and it ends up backfiring for the "nice" person who is trying to be accomodating.

Especially in the Business World, I say, stick to your policy of no checks. You have to have guidelines and safe guards. And especially because you are dealing with Other peoples things. If anything was to go wrong, it would be you who would then be responsible. Don't take the chance. The bidder knew the policy and if it wasn't acceptable to them, they shouldn't have even bidded with the expectation that you would bend the rules.

Sorry didn't see this sooner, but looks like you didn't need my advice...you got all good advice from others. I should have just written ditto to everything below!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Some English slang for you... new
      #136721 - 01/10/05 06:59 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Well as we're going all British I thought I may aswell add some English things in...baring in mind Im a northener...Linz could probably think of a few southern expressions but heres some I could think of....

Canny...a newcastle word to mean quite/kinda/very/also used as nice....eg 'That film was canny good' or she's a 'proper canny lass'

'sound'...mainly a liverpool expression to say when somethings good/alrite...eg someone might say ....I'll come round to yours later and they might reply 'sound mate, nice one'(this is my brother all the time!)

a 'chava' (said char-va) in liverpool we'd say a 'scally'...basically those rough kids who hang around the street and cause trouble!

'Aye a kna' thats what geordies(people from newcastle) say to mean yes I know...cos they say 'I I know' instead and thats how it somes out in their accent!(Can you tell I live with 2 of them!!)

A lot of people in Leeds seem to say 'innit' instead of isnt it..but even in sentences when technically it doesnt make sense...eg...but she's gona come innit?..instead of isnt she?

Rough scousers (liverpudlians) usually male add 'la' (sed lar) onto their sentences...eg when startin a fight...they'd say...'come 'ed then la'...thats basically means ...come and have a go if you think you're hard enough...they'd also say 'just do one will ya?' meaning get lost and go away!(lovely people arent they!!)

Liverpudlians also call electricity 'the lecky'....eg have you paid the lecky bill yet?

Will post if I think of any more good ones...

--------------------
Natalie

P.S sinead...feel free to email me anytime!! n/t new
      #136723 - 01/10/05 07:03 AM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

BREAD TV series! new
      #136730 - 01/10/05 07:27 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Natalie,
The stuff you have written there is straight out of "Bread" do you remember it "Our Avaline" etc...Very funny programme.
And the geordie stuff is so Ant and Dec/Byker Grow-av! I think its hilarious watching Donna Air on TV, so pretty with such an awful accent!

Have you ever heard the Corrs being interviewed? Quite similar, they have rotten accents!

We use "sound" here too. One friend of mine calls everyone a "sound man".

Y'know what i love to hear..words for kissing..

In Wexford we say "shift" (same context as snog) ie I shifted him...(it sounds horrid)

Where one of my friends was from Tipperary and she used to say "meet" ie I met a guy at the disco at the weekend..this was VERY Confusing!
Then there's the obvious "score" etc...I find them interesting anyway...

--------------------
S.

Re: P.S sinead...feel free to email me anytime!! n/t new
      #136733 - 01/10/05 07:29 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Thanks Nat (is it OK that I call you Nat? You look so friendly I started it and can't stop now!) My work email isn't working at the moment and I am really lonely without it Getting a lot of work done though!

--------------------
S.

Ofcourse you can call me Nat.... new
      #136740 - 01/10/05 07:47 AM
Natalie1985

most people do...I feel like we are all so good friends now that I wouldt take offence at anything! The only person who doesnt call me it is my mum...she tells everyone that a gnat is a fly! lol! Ive never had a problem with it myself...Id rather people said that than my full name...too long winded! And thanks for saying I look friendly...I do try xx

--------------------
Natalie

LOL!! new
      #136745 - 01/10/05 07:55 AM
Natalie1985

Yea I have seen bread....thats so funny hadnt thought of that...I LOVE ant and dec...Im just so used to hearing all of those phrases that I dont even notice...I had to really think hard to come up with a few! And yes donna air...she has a bad geordie accent...my flatmates both have realy good ones...enough of a twang without it being too common...well unless theyve had a few drinks

I always thought the corrs sounded typically irish...so Im wrong there am I?? lol!

As for the kissing words...yea that amuses me aswell...when I was at school people always said the typical 'pull' eg I pulled him last night...and that is actually what most people seem to use here at uni...but the main one when growing up was 'got into' which I always hated...sounds so nasty...Did you get in to him? My aunty always says 'did you tap off? or she tapped last night! That seems to have been what they said in the 70's...dont hear it so much now!...get off with seems to imply more than snog these days....and I love the way the americans say 'made out'...it makes me laugh!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: What would you do? new
      #136767 - 01/10/05 08:38 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Casey!

I totally missed this one yesterday... But my question is, how hard can it be for this person to go get a money order? Unless of course she doesn't have the money in the bank! If it were me, I'd stick to my guns and not accept anything but what you normally accept!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: What would you do? new
      #136775 - 01/10/05 08:53 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

money order

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

INNOCENT BLUNDER a la nelly new
      #136841 - 01/10/05 10:23 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Yeah, I had a fannypack when I studied in Surrey. No, no, they'd tell me. That's a bumbag.

Also when you're drinking so fast you've got one beer in your right hand and one in your left, that's called double fisting. At least if you're in the US. You NEVER want to say you're doublefisting in England. Especially if you're me and you're bringing drinks back to the table back from the bar and you're yelling it to your friends. Cos doublefisting refers to a sexual act. A raunchy one. A really raunchy one. *embarrassed nelly*

~nelly~ Only drinking with one hand now

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1639 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7763

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review