All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The nerve of doctors
      #134976 - 01/04/05 01:50 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I just discovered that the orthopaedist I saw recently for my back pain charged my insurance company $441 for the office visit. (in addition to $120 for an X-ray.) I thought surely that was a mistake so I called the clinic. They said he charged that because it was for a lengthy consulation. I couldn't stop laughing! I told the woman that he was an hour late getting into the exam room, it was lunch time and his staff was ordering meals in the hallway, and he was in a big hurry to get me in and out of the office. She acted as if she could care less, so I demanded to speak to the office manager.

She told me they would look at the doctor's notes and do an audit to see if the charges were warranted.

Unbelievable!!!!

The only reason I went to see this doctor was because the first ortho I saw a month earlier (in the same clinic) did not even look at my back or take an X-ray. (His office visit charge was $192.)

So after 2 office visits and 2 months of physical therapy----adding up to $2,400 in charges---I am still in pain and am no cloer to a diagnosis.

Sorry! Just need to vent!

who's ever heard of a $441 office visit?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The nerve of doctors new
      #134981 - 01/04/05 01:56 PM

Unregistered

That is outrageous! Good for you for complaining about it though! Don't give up! Especially considering the service you were given (or really not) and that you are no closer to feeling better.

I read your first post from the other day and I'm sorry to hear your are in so much pain and can't sleep! That's awful. Arthritis can really be debilitating. I hope you figure out what the deal is and get some relief really soon! Hugs!

Thank you, Brittany. You are sweet! ---nt-- new
      #134983 - 01/04/05 01:57 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

That is crazy! new
      #135030 - 01/04/05 03:40 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Our health system is a lot different to yours but that is just ridiculous! I think that insurers and doctors just hike up the prices and we pay for them through our insurance premiums, simple as that...

--------------------
S.

My daughters ER visit when she sprained her ankle the first time... new
      #135068 - 01/04/05 06:39 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

was somewhere around $900.00! For that you would think she would have crutches encrusted with diamonds or even really good CZ's!

Ugh, doctors! new
      #135070 - 01/04/05 07:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Back when I was first diagnosed with gallstones, my doctor sent me to a surgeon, for a consultation about having my gallbladder removed.

I sat in the waiting room for 1/2 hour.
I then sat in a FREEZING exam room for close to an hour.
The surgeon came in, was terribly rude, and talked to me for about 5 minutes, then referred me to a GI doc.

The bill? $500. Thank goodness I had insurance at the time... I only paid a tiny copay.

Doctors have a pretty good racket going, that's for sure. Mom was right - I should have gone to med school.

Casey new
      #135076 - 01/04/05 07:58 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Did you get your GB removed or was the visit for nothing? Did anything come about from that 500 dollar visit?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: The nerve of doctors new
      #135203 - 01/05/05 08:25 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I had an abdominal and pelvic CT scan when they were doing my GI tests...the bill ended up being from the doctor who interpreted the scans $1400 and $900 from the hospital...my insurance said that the the doc overcharged me, but when the doctor's office reviewed the bill, they didn't change it, so my dad's now working on that bill for me (I'm on his insurance). I was on a payment plan for the hospital for the $900, I still owe them $700, but they stopped sending me bills, I actually called and tried to get them to, so I could keep paying it off (this was back in June 2004), but still nothing.

So yeah, paying for doctors stinks!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Good Grief!!! I hope you find help soon! -nt- new
      #135265 - 01/05/05 10:32 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Sounds like you got screwed... new
      #135315 - 01/05/05 12:10 PM
Cate712

Reged: 07/18/03
Loc: Missouri

Just remember, with every profession comes the good and the bad. Sounds like that ortho was right up there with the worst! I'd complain to your insurance company and give them the info about how long you actually saw this dr. I worked as a work comp adjuster and also in a office that cut medical bills. Insurance companies don't want to be ripped off any more than we do. Your insurance company wasn't in the room and would probably be glad to find out the info on this doc. You can also file a complaint with the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons or the American Orthopaedic Association on this ortho. I'm not sure what it will do but it may make you feel better.

Sorry you're still in pain!! I hope you can find a reputable ortho soon! They do exist!

Cate

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review