All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Wisdom teeth....
      #134418 - 01/02/05 04:05 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I'm getting 2 of them out tommorrow morning, and I've never had ANYTHING done to my teeth - no braces, no cavities, etc...so I'm really nervous. I've always had awesome teeth, really lucky, so the thought of having a swollen jaw and cotton in my mouth is freaking me out.

Anyways, I won't be too coherant for the next couple days, so I probably won't be on the boards! Anyone want to come watch the puppies for me?? Emeril is a terror! Rocco is seriously the best puppy in the world, he never ruined anything....Emeril has already ruined a dresser and a couch. Rocco gets nuetered next week!! Poor guy - and I'm worried about my teeth............

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wisdom teeth.... new
      #134420 - 01/02/05 04:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If it's any consolation at all, I've had a TON of dental work done - just about everything you can think of, except braces - and having teeth pulled has been the EASIEST experience out of all of it. No lie! It's over with very quickly, it heals pretty quickly, and for 2 of my wisdom teeth, I actually didn't even need painkillers afterwards.

Good luck! I'll be thinkin' of ya.

And if I lived closer, I'd totally take on the pups.

OMG new
      #134421 - 01/02/05 04:23 PM
Cara4503

That really does make me feel better!! Here my husband is going, 'I HATED getting them out, it was really bad, etc etc'. I know, he doesn't really think before he speaks

I LOVE your new pic! You're gorgeous.

Thanks for making me feel better!

--------------------
~Cara~

Heh. new
      #134426 - 01/02/05 04:32 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Men. I don't know.

I don't know if you normally eat Tofutti "ice cream" or Rice Dream or anything like that, but now's the time to stock up. For the rest of the day, they usually recommend eating ice cream - the cold is soothing and helps with the bleeding. You might also have some tea bags on hand - soaking a tea bag in cold water and using it as a compress helps if it seems like it's bleeding for a long time.

Can you tell I've done this more than once? Haha.

And thank you.

#134427 - 01/02/05 04:33 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Cara,

I'm sure you will do fine getting your wisdom teeth out. Just follow the doc's orders and you will be back to normal in no time. Remember not to drink with a straw...I'm sure they will tell you that.....because it can cause dry socket.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

#134449 - 01/02/05 05:56 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 16.. so it was awhile ago.. but I did get all four out.

All I remember is them putting a gas mask on me and then waking up hours later at home on my couch. I have no clue how I got there. It really wasn't so bad though.. I took all the meds but it was also fun sitting on the couch all day eating fudgesicles.

good luck!

--------------------

#134456 - 01/02/05 06:18 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Cara,

Sorry one of those pups is a holy terror! Get him one of those Kong toys that you can stuff a treat in. It will keep him busy for awhile!

Wishing you well tomorrow as you get your wisdom teeth out. I had 2 pulled and went back to teaching school the very next day. It's not bad! The only thing I didn't like is it left a hole in my mouth that food would get trapped in!!!!

You'll do just fine.

Thanks everyone! new
      #134476 - 01/02/05 07:17 PM
Cara4503

Thanks for all the advice. I don't know anything about it yet! Hopefully they'll tell me everything tommorrow!
I made chocolate pudding and jello, and I have applesauce and soy yogurt...so I should be good! Although I practically ate all the pudding after dinner - LOL. And I was supposed to have a 'light dinner'!! They didn't say anything about dessert though.....:P

Hey Ashley! Did you know they already have Valentines Day candy in the grocery stores?? LOL. I already bought and ate a bag of conversation hearts! I love those things.
That is my resolution this year - less sugar....after tommorrow's surgery of course.......

Thanks everyone, I am still nervous, but I feel better. Mainly it's my husband making me nervous! He keeps saying things like, 'I can't wait to take tons of pictures of you drooling and with a fat face'. (He's real sensitive - LOL)

Talk to you all in a couple days.....

--------------------
~Cara~

#134478 - 01/02/05 07:18 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey good luck cara!! you'll be fine!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#134482 - 01/02/05 07:23 PM

Unregistered

Aww - Best of luck to you!! I haven't had to have mine out yet (knock on wood), but my older brother just got his out in October and he wasn't out of it too bad. I'm sure you'll do great!

Let us know how it goes!

cara new
      #134498 - 01/02/05 08:23 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

haha.. I did notice the v-day candy! I especially love the sweet tart conversation hearts. I haven't bought any yet though.. i'm just finishing polishing off a one pound bag of swedish fish I bought.. umm two days ago. hahaha.

good luck with the resolution.. mine is to start working out and being active so I can still pig out on all my candy and hopefully get thinner or stay the same. hehe

--------------------

Sorry it took me so long Cara... new
      #134501 - 01/02/05 09:08 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm sure everything will go just fine. One piece of advice (and this is coming before reading anyone elses responses)... make sure you stock up on plenty of jello, applesauce, baby food, mashed potatoes, etc. You don't want to have anything that you need to chew. Good luck sweetie! Let me know how it goes!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#134521 - 01/02/05 11:22 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I'm sure everything will work out fine...Just make sure you get lots of movies to occupy you while you veg for a couple days, although you might sleep all day the first day. I got mine out in high school and it was like no problem for me; I was talking and off the painkillers by the same night. Best of luck!!

--------------------
~Angela

#134530 - 01/03/05 05:39 AM
Cara4503

Thanks Angie! Your picture is so cute! Your boyfriend (husband?) looks like Ethan from Survivor!! Adorable couple!

I'm SO thirst right now but I can't drink/eat anything...we're leaving in half an hour!

Thanks for making me feel better everyone!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Sorry it took me so long Cara... new
      #134531 - 01/03/05 05:41 AM
Cara4503

Thanks Rachel! I did stock up on jello and pudding and applesauce...I'll have to have my husband make potatoes for me...I never thought of baby food! Is it gross??

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Sorry it took me so long Cara...again! new
      #134593 - 01/03/05 09:45 AM
RachelT

I was up a little late last night, and didn't get out of bed till late this morning.

Baby food is great (well, the fruit is anyway... I'm not crazy about anything else). There's a lot of flavors to choose from, but by far my favorite is the blueberry one!

While I'm at it I just wanted to mention one more little thing... If you are back to smoking again... DO NOT LIGHT UP!!! The act of "sucking" will dislodge your blood clots and can cause you to have dry socket. Not a comfortable thing to go through, trust me! If you're still in the process of quiting... just take it easy until you're feeling better. Let Justin baby you!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Cara new
      #134594 - 01/03/05 09:50 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hey Sweeite, I think you've already left for the dentist-wishing you the best of luck! Please update us when you are feeling up to it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Good Luck Cara!-nt new
      #134615 - 01/03/05 10:24 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Cara new
      #134622 - 01/03/05 10:36 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I had three wisdom teeth out about four years ago.
I got knocked out as opposed to being awake getting it done as I am really nervous at the dentist.

I had a week off work. The taste of blood hangs around for a while so you won't really want to eat.

BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE PAIN MEDS- this was my pre IBS days and I got seriously C on account of it

My bruising was very slight, and I slept off the pain for the most part.

Let us know how you are when you are well enough to come back online.

hugs

--------------------
S.

Re: Cara, How'd you make out today??? new
      #134762 - 01/03/05 06:10 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I read your post saying that you were getting your wisdom teeth out and didn't have much time to respond
I hope everything worked out ok for ya. Were they impacted? I had a total of 3 taken out but mine were not impacted. I just had one pulled at a time. I'm a big chicken I know that's a stupid way to do it . The 4th one is impacted and I'm NEVER getting it out! I'm too afraid!

I didn't get as lucky as my sister. She was born without any. It's that weird.

Hope your feeling better real soon and can update us

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Update! And urgent help needed if anyone is online in the next hour or so! new
      #134813 - 01/04/05 04:53 AM
Cara4503

Well the procedure went well - yes, they were both impacted, so it was a pretty invasive surgery, I was put out...but conscious - like when you get a colonoscopy.
I came home and ate a tiny bit and took a pain med. I told them to give me nothing with caffiene, so it's a pain medication that I believe is just a really strong tylenol.

She asked me about antibiotics and I told her that I think all of them will bother my stomach. I haven't been on an antibiotic since my IBS has started really acting up.

Now I'm worried about infection! So the doctor is supposed to call me this morning, and I'm wondering if any of you know an antibiotic that wouldn't upset my stomach??? Or that would maybe just upset it a LITTLE bit??

Last night was when it got pretty bad...I got up for about 10 minutes and turned really white, felt like I was going to faint and throw up. I feel a little better this morning, but VERY sore. I'm also afraid the stiches came out on the right side because I can see the big hole! And on the left side I can still see the stitches, so I'm really worried about it! I do NOT want to have to go in and get another shot and everything!

It is both of my bottom wisdom teeth - I was born w/o an upper one, and the other upper one should never cause a problem.

Well anyways - please, please - if someone knows an antibiotic I can take for 5 days that would be safe, let me know asap!! I'm going back on the pain pills right now (I didn't take any overnight because I was so nausous), so I will be pretty dizzy and out of it again soon.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Antibiotic new
      #134819 - 01/04/05 05:10 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

The only antibiotic I can tolerate is amoxocylin (sp) others give me bad D. If you can wait another hour, I can get the exact dose that is safe for me. I wrote it down years ago for just this situation. I had to have a tooth removed and I told the dentist I couldn't handle antiobiotics because they caused bad D. So I wrote down the name and the dose that finally I could handle with no problem for future use.

Sorry, but it's in my desk at work and I won't get there until 8 or so Illinois time. Can you wait that long?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Antibiotic new
      #134821 - 01/04/05 05:12 AM
Cara4503

THANK YOU! Yes I can wait - they said they would call me this morning, I'm assuming they'll call around 8...if they call before you have a chance to look it up, I will just ask if I can call back in a few minutes! I really appreciate it.

I don't know what I'd do w/o these boards! Everyone is so helpful and replies so quickly, I just love you all!

Thank you so much, I'll check back on the boards in about an hour!!

--------------------
~Cara~

Augie - BTW... new
      #134823 - 01/04/05 05:14 AM
Cara4503

Where in IL are you from?

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Update! And urgent help needed if anyone is online in the next hour or so! new
      #134824 - 01/04/05 05:14 AM
cailin

Cara,
I just remembered I definitely did not go on an antibiotic when I got mine out. I got three out, two upper and one lower

--------------------
S.

Re: Update! And urgent help needed if anyone is online in the next hour or so! new
      #134827 - 01/04/05 05:19 AM
Cara4503

And you didn't get an infection?? Did you brush the next day?? I am scared to brush!!

Yesterday some water got on the wound I it hurt so badly I was literally screaming and in tears - I don't remember the last time I cried from pain - and my husband dropped the cap of his truck on my toes a couple weeks ago! (He would yell at me and say that I dropped it, but we all know it was his fault...)

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Antibiotic new
      #134828 - 01/04/05 05:23 AM
Augie

It's no problem, really. I will get back to you as soon as I get to work. It has the name and dosage amount and as I said, it didn't cause me any problems at all! Took it after a tooth was pulled, begged the dentist not to give me anything, but he scared me into taking something as infection, especially for inpacted teeth is high risk. Now I better go get dressed or I'll be late!

I'll talk to you in about 45 minutes!

--------------------
~ Beth

#134833 - 01/04/05 06:03 AM
cailin

I don't remember brushing. I had to rinse my mouth with medicated mouthwash a few times a day and I had to gargle salt and water on it to stop infection. I had solpadol painkillers, I think they are codeine based.

I remember the pain, and the wound feeling like there was sticky toffee stuck in my back teeth. at least one of mine was impacted too and it was a mess.

I think you are right to go ahead with the antibs if your surgeon recommended it, they often know what they are talking about!

Take care.

--------------------
S.

Re: Antibiotic answer new
      #134835 - 01/04/05 06:12 AM
Augie

Okay, the note I wrote says Amoxicillin 500mg. Hope that helps.

BTW, I'm from Southwest Suburbs of Illinois. My roomate in college lives in Peoria, but grew up in Bartonville, I think that's what it's called.

GL with the teeth and the antibiotic. It stinks that they were impacted! That's rougher. Mine weren't Thank the Lord because I had all 4 done at once.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Antibiotic answer new
      #134836 - 01/04/05 06:16 AM
Cara4503

Which suburb if you don't mind me asking??
I grew up in Wheaton! But I also lived in Naperville and Lisle with my husband. I love that area, and I miss it! We've been in Peoria about a year and a half now - I thought I would hate it here, but now I really love it and don't think I'll ever move back to the burbs! My parents are still in Wheaton, so I'm there a lot!

Thanks so much for the advice! They haven't called yet, so it's good timing. I keep having to retype everything, I'm so dizzy!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Cara, How'd you make out today??? new
      #134841 - 01/04/05 06:41 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I was born without wisdom teeth too, luckily! I had to have almost all of my baby teeth pulled though since they would refuse to come out, and my mouth was too small for my teeth so I had 4 adult teeth and a baby tooth pulled to get braces (for 3 years).

Hope you're feeling better, Cara!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: CARA new
      #134851 - 01/04/05 07:18 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hey Sweeite, how are you feeling now? Did they call in a script for the Amoxicillen? It still may give you a little D but shouldn't be to bad! Brush what teeth you can but don't worry too much about the sore areas. The rinsing with salt water will help keep it clean, although I have a hard time doing that because of the taste! Maybe ask your dentist about some mouthwash?

Your probably dizzy from the drugs they gave you yesterday. What is the name of the pain pill you are on? Be sure to drink as much fluid as possible and DO NOT use a straw!! No sucking, it can cause a dry socket and you do not want that! Stay laying down as much as possible. Your bloodpressure can drop from the drugs and that can cause dizziness. Take as many pain pills as you need but they can casue C, but that might help balance the D from the anti-biotic! Give me a call if you feel up to talking. I didn't want to wake you if you were sleeping. Hang in there honey, the majority of the pain should subside within 48 hours or so.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Once again... I'm a little late! new
      #134855 - 01/04/05 07:37 AM
RachelT

Oh Cara! Poor honey! You sound so miserable. The next day is always the worst day.

Don't worry about brushing back where the incisions are, just brush everything else. And definately do the salt water rinses, but please make sure you don't do any kind of sucking motion. Michele is right about the dry socket. Just very gently swoosh the water around in your mouth and let it all fall out, don't even spit.

I'm guessing that the stitches they used are ones that dissolve on their own. As long as you're not bleeding a ton on the one side where you think you lost the stitch, it might be ok, but they might still want to take a look at you... better to be safe than sorry.

I know you're worried about having IBS problems with the meds that they give you, but I think the possibility of getting an infection or being in a lot of pain out weighs the IBS symptoms. You can eventually get your IBS under control, whereas the other problems could be much more serious. Hopefully they can give you something that won't aggravate your tummy more.

Good luck with everything sweetie! I'll be thinking about you! And I'll be anxious for a happier report from you.

*hugs*

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Cara, hope you're feeling better! ---nt--- new
      #134980 - 01/04/05 01:55 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1616 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7930

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review