All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Decorations and tree down already!
      #133434 - 12/28/04 05:50 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

This is probably the fastest I have ever taken down our decorations, but this year we got a real tree and it took up more space than I thought it would. Plus my son's first birthday is the 8th of January and I didn't want to spend my first week back to work taking a tree down and trying to clean my house for 2 birthday parties!!! It actually feels good to take the stuff down and have my living room back. Does anyone else do this or am I being scroogy??
Catching up on posts it sounds like everyone had a nice holiday. We did too. The only drawback was my son was up for 2 1/2 hours Chritmas eve night. He's cutting more teeth. We were all a little tired on Christmas day! Now we get to get geared up for next weekend and his birthday! Geesh! I am already exhausted!!! LOL

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Decorations and tree down already! new
      #133438 - 12/28/04 06:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Phew - I'm exhausted just reading your post! LOL Good luck!

I usually end up leaving my decorations up well into January... it started with laziness, and over the course of 10 years, it became tradition. This year, though, I'm thinking I'll take the decorations down sometime this week. The only problem is that we still don't have much furniture, so the tree is actually filling up that corner of the living room really nicely - when we take it down, it's going to leave a big empty hole in the room. We've been joking around about leaving the tree up all year, but I don't think so. Heh.

#133447 - 12/28/04 06:54 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Yeah, I'm squirming at the fact that mine are still up, but we're having company on NYE so I'll leave em up till NYD- Saturday I'll take em down and bid em all goodbye for another year in a nice leisurely fashion.
I'm pretty much over Xmas, it wasn't that hot anyway. The decorations are one of the better parts (she said cynically).
I love the clean look the house has when all the decorations are gone.

#133449 - 12/28/04 06:56 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

We keep ours up til epiphany, Jan. 6th. Or until they turn brown.

~nelly~

#133452 - 12/28/04 07:13 PM
gregorymom

Reged: 12/27/04

I'm the same way--- Everything always looks so neat & simple after the Christmas stuff is down. Of course, then I have to shop again come February

#133459 - 12/28/04 08:18 PM
ptillen

We are trying very hard at our house to adhere to a item-in/item-out policy whereby if anything new comes into the house, something has to be gotten rid of. For a whole variety of reasons: economic, spacial, spiritual.
So I don't shop much. I loved what I heard on a TV show the other day, something about: remember, every time you buy something, you have to store it and maintain it.

#133481 - 12/29/04 06:19 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I thought it was bad luck to take them down before Jan 6th - that's when the Three Kings arrive isn't it? But I try to keep decorations to a minimum - when I get the chance - you know, less is more - but usually the rest of the family think I just forgot to get all the stuff out and they do it for me! So we end up with everything anyway! This year I am away from home, so not my problem ...

Do you all have real trees or plastic? I love the smell of a real tree but they are definitely a lot more trouble.

Josephine

#133499 - 12/29/04 07:14 AM
ptillen

I think Epiphany is a bigger custom in European countries than in the States. Unless people are religious, they really don't do the 3 Kings here.
Your family sounds like mine. My mother actually gets mad at me the years when I decide not to put up a tree. But let's put this in perspective: I'm 46 years old, childless, with a Jewish husband and 4 cats that tend to see a Xmas tree as their own personal jungle gym. Some years I just haven't had the fortitude.
This year, however, after a few years in retirement, I resurrected my grandmother's vintage 1964 silver aluminum tree, complete with bubble lights and color wheel. I've always had a thing for late 50's early 60's decor, and had the tree up when everyone else went, wow, is that ever tacky. So I'm feeling mighty vindicated now that they're trendy again.

#133502 - 12/29/04 07:31 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Oh yeah, retro is so in at the moment! I think it's great that you have something that pleases you and is also a family memento. Did you take any pictures? It sounds worth seeing!

I think there is definitely a child/childless thing here - I don't have children either (and I'm now 48 and I have had a hysterectomy!), so some things about Christmas seem definitely inappropriate!

It was my mother too who kept the Christmas thing going - I'm afraid I broke her heart the year I said let's not bother. I knew not to say that again, but I think she always remembered and held it against me. The first Christmas after she died I couldn't face putting up her (extra-large) plastic green "Norwegian Pine" without her but I couldn't leave it in the cupboard either, so I gave it away to charity - let someone else enjoy it as much as she did, I thought ... now my niece is upset that we don't have it anymore! It is so difficult to please oneself and other people too!

Josephine

Mine started coming down the day after Christmas! new
      #133530 - 12/29/04 08:31 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I got so sick of Christmas this year that I started taking them down on Sunday and was finished on Monday! They are in two boxes ready to go in my storage closet outside when it stops raining (I gotta reorganize it to make it fit!).

I always call the day after Christmas my "cleaning holiday" because I go on a major cleaning spree and clean everything in my apartment! It feels so nice when everything's put away and the apartment is back to normal.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2477 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 968

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review