All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Two Thousand and Four
      #132279 - 12/22/04 02:01 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

As the year draws to a close, I'm really glad it's going to be over soon!
This year has been my Year of the Gut Troubles (and Year of the One-Woman-Cannonade). Although, I have to say... the last couple of months I've learned an incredible amount about IBS, as well as emetophobia. The internet, and particularly this board has helped me a whole lot more than all the doctors I've seen in Wellington. Thank you, everyone!

It hasn't been all bad though. My relationships with my partner, and with y best friend have become much stronger with all of my gamminess, and I have the most understanding, kind, wonderful boss at work (who is actually coming on secondment with me to Palmerston North! YAY!)

It's also been the Year of the Gadget! Thanks to a pay increase and online shopping I've amassed some very cool toys this year: A new phone that takes and sends pictures, a digital camera, a PINK(!) mini ipod... and now a laptop to plug all that stuff into. I love my toys.

I have some resolutions for next year too.
1) I am going to stop buying Cosmo. It makes me angry!
2) I am going to stick to the diet and not cheat so much (maybe sometimes a little, cause you gotta live, right?)
3) I am going to make the commitment and stop smoking. Probably in winter, as I'm going to start by smoking only outside (instead of in the laundry as now)
4) I am going to love more and hold myself back less.

What's your year been like? And have you any resolutions yet?

--------------------
*Emma*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

2004: A Case(y) Odyssey new
      #132290 - 12/22/04 05:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

2004 was the year my mother and I finally mended fences... not that we had this horrible relationship or anything, but there were a few things between us that were not cool, and those are gone now.

2004 was the year of THE NEW HOUSE!!!

2004 was the year of finally taking control of a lot of aspects of my life that I'd refused to deal with in the past because of pride or fear or both. As a result, I can stop worrying about some irrational health fears... and I'm now medicated for something I should have been medicated for for at least 10 years now... and as of the end of January, I will have a massive $11K debt gone from my life. I can't even tell you how GOOD all of this feels.

2004 was the year of bad health; I've had IBS for 17 years, but I've NEVER in my life been this sick. But you know, every dark cloud has a silver lining, and you guys, this board, and Heather are definitely that. Not only has the medical advice here given me my life back, but I've met some amazing people and made some absolutely priceless friendships - I never would have had that if I hadn't gotten so darn sick!

2004 was the year of knitting. I've known how to knit for a few years now, but all I could do was knit and purl. I finally forced myself to learn how to cable, increase/decrease, knit in the round, and a few other things, and now I'm unstoppable!!

I don't usually make resolutions until my birthday in February, because I know it's pointless to try to work on yourself in the dead of winter, but here's what I'm planning on for the new year, anyway:

1. As I turn 30 and find myself gaining weight in funny ways that I never gained before - LOL - I'm facing the reality that I MUST exercise. My goal is to start with a daily yoga routine, and I am also going to learn to bellydance.

2. Conquer the last few knitting techniques I don't really know... intarsia, lace, and working with double-points.

3. If I managed to chuck the biggest debt out of my life, the smaller ones should be a piece of cake. But I'm going to start small: pay off my student loan instead of deferring it for another year, and pay off the $500 I still owe to a crooked dentist in Maryland.

wow.... new
      #132297 - 12/22/04 06:02 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

we decided to sell the house and got it cleaned up and out and on the market- no sale yet and started looking to move...

got out of debt.. completely except for house and my car...

I got a promotion (twice)

my sister got married

both DH and I got our health under much better control

we decided its ebtter all around for me to work an early shift- I'm more productive and we actually get more quality time together since I get off at a decent hour on weekends... and I wake up early whether I'm working early or not so our evenings haven't changed that much... and I can get things done before DH gets home more.

next year- MOVE we hope! stay debt free, start saving big time, and get settled into the new place... and maybe (hopefully) wind up with weekends off!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Hmmm 2004 new
      #132298 - 12/22/04 06:08 AM

Unregistered

Well a lot happened in 2004 and I can't think of all the important things, but here goes:

2004 was when I started to get my IBS on track and now that I'm gaining weight back I'm going to have to make an effort to make time to exercise more.

In 2004 I also made one of the hugest steps in my life and despite being so so so nervous and never having really been away from the comfort of my family in town, and not knowing how I'd deal with my IBS - I took a chance and went to Italy for the summer to study and had the time of my life! I had no attacks the entire time I was there and it was just so confidence boosting to go and do it all by myself and not know ANYone. I was even brave enough to go by myself to Paris before I flew home. I just really can't stress enough how big of a step this was for me and how GOOD it felt!

Well also in 2004 I've realized how I just can't wait to graduate college and get on with my career and life. I think part of that is just the anxiety of not quite being sure where I'll end up and all. I've also become quite comfortable with the idea that while I'm majoring in Interior Design (and having such a hard time staying motivated to stay in school because the stress is just unbelievable and I have a hard time justifying it) but that I can take it some many directions in my life and more than anything I would love to turn my China factory purse venture into a career and one day would love to open a store for myself where I could do all the things I love - crafts of all sorts, baking, purses, just everything. I also make a resolution in this case to be more outgoing so I can sell my ideas instead of just being the "idea and craft-person".

A big resolution for the next year too is to learn to love myself more. Because I've really understood the idea that no one can love you until you love yourself and I really need to love myself. So I'll be working on that much more and I need more confidence! I AM loveable!

I think that's plenty enough to keep me busy for a year and I'm really hoping that it all happens!

I'm with you .... new
      #132305 - 12/22/04 07:16 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I am not renewing my Cosmo subscription. I don't know exactly why but that magazine makes me furious.
More on my resolutions later -- gotta study for one last exam
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

My 2004 new
      #132310 - 12/22/04 07:50 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

2004 has some of my best ever and worst ever memories so bear with me if I ramble!

In February Padhraig and I went on our holiday of a lifetime- we spent three weeks in Australia travelling from Cairns to Sydney and then a week in Japan with friends. It was amazing to see all we saw.

In March we had the first of five weddings we attended this year, and it was great fun.

April and May saw both our birthdays and celebrations

At the end of June Padhraig got his appendix out and spent eight nights in hospital. I was worried sick about him as he was so unwell and I it really underlined to me how much he means to me. He missed two months work. I let myself get sick with a respiratory infection.

In August Padhraig went back to work and I went to have tests which led to me diagnosed with IBS. I was so sick and had no energy and it was an awful month for me.

Since then we have both gotten a lot better and I have started to like my job, realise more every day how much I love my BF and how important he is to me, I have gotten over my self image hangups thanks to my weight loss.

In summary, 2004 started great, went rapidly downhill including a pretty terrible summer weather and health wise and is ending on a medium note. Roll on 2005!

--------------------
S.

I recommend Marie Claire or Glamour! new
      #132315 - 12/22/04 08:30 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I find Cosmo degrading and not for intelligent women, I used to read it in college but think it has gone downhill. I love our editions of Marie Claire and Glamour, they are more down to earth..more me! (and I can even afford some of the clothes in them!)

--------------------
S.

Re: I recommend Marie Claire or Glamour! new
      #132317 - 12/22/04 08:31 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I think panda hates marie claire as well.. its too left wing. dont you miss amanda?

--------------------

Re: I recommend Marie Claire or Glamour! new
      #132318 - 12/22/04 08:32 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Yes I do! Ashley knows me a bit too well ...
But thanks for the suggestions, Sinead!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

haha panda you love me! -nt- new
      #132349 - 12/22/04 10:10 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Re: 2004: A Case(y) Odyssey new
      #132374 - 12/22/04 11:04 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

What a great post Casey!

I just want to say as a personal comment, you have come so far baby!!! I remember you were so sick, nauseaous and now you're a vibrant younf thing! It makes me so happy.

Tina

Hey..., I hope in 2005 it gets even better -nt- new
      #132380 - 12/22/04 11:10 AM
RDumas

Reged: 12/19/04
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

Re: Two Thousand and Four new
      #132443 - 12/22/04 01:56 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Jan 3 2004- Moved into our new house 9 months pregnant after living with my parents for 3 months!

Jan 8 My son was born healthy!!!

March- Stomach went chatotic after I stopped nursing

Summer 2004- bad for the tummy
October- colonoscopy and diagnosed with IBS
Found this website, tried the diet

Nov. Feeling normal again!
Dec.- Feeling human again and treasure the friends I have made here!

2005?? Maybe another baby in the making??? Hubby trying to convince me now but I want to wait until my son is a year old. Which will be in a couple of weeks!!!!!

Resolutions for Two Thousand and Four new
      #132465 - 12/22/04 02:36 PM
RDumas

Reged: 12/19/04
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

-have to turn sort of 12-step, here.

My resolutions:

Play life smart.
Do my best.
Live one day at a time.
And, live and let live (in the midst of those who don't).

Best regards for the smoking...I'm going through the same and need professional help as I started over twenty years ago to self-medicate anxiety. Quit for four days, recently. And, that showed me that not smoking is definately better than smoking...

I'm learning that if the commitment to stop is there, one doesn't have to psychologically beat oneself up it a relapse occurs.

Please keep me posted on the smoking issue. It's VERY relevant in this neck of the woods.

Dumas.

2004= my worst year and here's hoping 2005 is fabulous! new
      #132482 - 12/22/04 04:04 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Ok, let's see...

2004... was the WORST year health-wise I have ever experienced.

But at the same time, I found a great doc, you guys, Heather's books, and a new way of eating. I feel much better now.

What else? Not sure that I want to stay in my job much longer, not 100% sure about my long term relationship with my BF.

Resolutions for 2005...

1- Stay healthy and get healthier.
2- Find a plan on decreasing my insomnia!!!
3- Stress way less.
4- Get a NEW JOB! (or else...)
5- Figure out what I want relationship-wise for 100% sure!
6- Get highlights in my hair.
7- Have sex more.
8- Take an art class (pottery, stained glass, etc).
9- Not get into any "toxic" friendships with any new people.
10- Be as happy as possible. That's all that matters in life!

I wanna play! Sheri's 2004 reflections... new
      #132630 - 12/23/04 10:11 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hmmmmm.... 2004 was not all that bad for me! It did not start off all that grand, but ended up well!

I passed the one year mark of leaving the nest, so I have faith I rally can make it on my own, I found Heather's diet and the boards, I have gotten WAY healthier, Became vegetarian, got my tatoo (always wanted one), joined a gym, and making friends, and turned the big 2-1! It has also been the year of relationship troubles, parent marital problems (that is ever year!), losing job security, being dissatisfied with school, constant worrying...
BUT 2005 I am gonna stay strong with the postive things, experiment wit hcooking more, maybe get back to work on my Camaro, try to build friendships more, and work out if my relationship with my BF is ok for me.
Phew!
HERE"S TO A GREAT 2005!!!!

--------------------
-Sheri

Well Lets see new
      #132643 - 12/23/04 10:56 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

2004 has been the year of new frutiure!!
IBS and figuring it out
weight loss
Kenna starting school
enjoying our new house
learning it is ok to be just me

I want to get more organized! You have no idea how much fileing I have to catch up on OY!!!

I want to lose more weight

I want to make a baby

I want to get more finannly stable ( aka STOP SHOPPING LOL)

Hugs and Merry Christmas Everyone

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4581 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1026

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review