All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Weird thing......job/career related
      #131919 - 12/20/04 02:53 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have posted before about how I dislike my job and am looking for a new one. Well I was checking out a local naturopath's website and noticed they are looking for help.

I am a graphic artist by trade but am only so-so and this field is SUPER competetive. This position is as an office assistant to this naturopath's office. I have A BIG interest in this type of medicine and am wondering, if they paid decently, if it would be a bad move to work there? Mind you, I have only applied and not had an interview. Gee, I think ahead, don't I?

I guess my question is, should I consider other fields if they pay well or is that going backwards?

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weird thing......job/career related new
      #131931 - 12/20/04 03:32 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

My philosophy on this one is that you will be happier for longer if you do a job you love rather than get paid a huge salary. If an opportunity comes up with a pay cut that means you could be doing something that you really enjoy doing and get paid for it I say take it!

I just need to figure out what job I would love and take it from there...

maybe I could be a travel writer.... *

--------------------
S.

#131933 - 12/20/04 03:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I agree! Money isn't everything... and especially when you have a health condition that's aggravated by stress. You'll be happier in the long run doing something you love, rather than plugging along in a job that just pays the bills. Good luck!

#131934 - 12/20/04 03:37 PM
Sara-Sage

I agree. My favorite job was working for an entertainement newspaper even though it meant working 12 hours straight and until 2am!

My job does not make me happy. I am even wondering if my field is for me?

We'll have to see if they even give me an interview. I explained to them that it is not in my field but I am open to a possible career change. I'll let you know if I hear anything!

Travel writer...that sounds like fun! Or a spa reporter. he he

#131935 - 12/20/04 03:38 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Casey. I agree. Money is not the most important thing by far. My job is super stressful.

Plus maybe I'd get a discount on one of the naturopath's there. he he

Thanks!

#132015 - 12/20/04 10:55 PM
Laura107

Reged: 12/19/04

Go for the happy job!!! Take a risk! you may regret it if you don't! If you go for it and it doesn't work, at least you have tried! You can always find an unhappy job, right?

#132053 - 12/21/04 06:15 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

SS,
Maybe being a graphic artist isn't for you, I know you dislike the people you work with, but you don't seem happy with the job itself, and that will just carry over to your next job as one. I know a girl that is a graphic artist (she is a couple of years older than me), and she is in the process of going back to school because the level that she is at (she has an Associates DEgree, if that matters any) isn't very enjoyable, and the money isn't what she wants it to be.
I just met a girl last weekend that teaches graphic art to handicapped/mentally disturbed kids, and she loves it. Ok ok I am getting off topic...
If you find something you like not in your field, take it! So what if you wind up back in graphic design? You would have had a nice vacation. Jobs are hard to come by anymore, and the most important objective is for you to get outta that horrible place you work at. I know it has to be scary changing professions after you have been done something for awhile, but it does happen alot. Personal trainer at the gym I go to was a software engineer for probably almost, if not more, than ten years. He has never been happier than he is now being a trainer, he says.

--------------------
-Sheri

#132075 - 12/21/04 07:37 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Spa reporter! Spa reporter! Let's start a business! I have a LOT of time on my hands!

~nelly~

#132090 - 12/21/04 08:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, change is good! Especially if you are unhappy with what you are currently doing! If you don't like it, you can always move on, but at least you tried something new. You knows, it may turn out to be something you absolutey love!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#132101 - 12/21/04 08:30 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Tina,
I'll agree with the concensus of everyone for you to feel free to jump into something new - I don't remember the exact statistic right now, but I know I've heard that the average American changes careers something like six or seven times in thier years of employment - I'm sure its similar for Canadians!
Good luck!
Min

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3019 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review