All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Weird thing......job/career related
      #131919 - 12/20/04 02:53 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have posted before about how I dislike my job and am looking for a new one. Well I was checking out a local naturopath's website and noticed they are looking for help.

I am a graphic artist by trade but am only so-so and this field is SUPER competetive. This position is as an office assistant to this naturopath's office. I have A BIG interest in this type of medicine and am wondering, if they paid decently, if it would be a bad move to work there? Mind you, I have only applied and not had an interview. Gee, I think ahead, don't I?

I guess my question is, should I consider other fields if they pay well or is that going backwards?

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weird thing......job/career related new
      #131931 - 12/20/04 03:32 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

My philosophy on this one is that you will be happier for longer if you do a job you love rather than get paid a huge salary. If an opportunity comes up with a pay cut that means you could be doing something that you really enjoy doing and get paid for it I say take it!

I just need to figure out what job I would love and take it from there...

maybe I could be a travel writer.... *

--------------------
S.

#131933 - 12/20/04 03:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I agree! Money isn't everything... and especially when you have a health condition that's aggravated by stress. You'll be happier in the long run doing something you love, rather than plugging along in a job that just pays the bills. Good luck!

#131934 - 12/20/04 03:37 PM
Sara-Sage

I agree. My favorite job was working for an entertainement newspaper even though it meant working 12 hours straight and until 2am!

My job does not make me happy. I am even wondering if my field is for me?

We'll have to see if they even give me an interview. I explained to them that it is not in my field but I am open to a possible career change. I'll let you know if I hear anything!

Travel writer...that sounds like fun! Or a spa reporter. he he

#131935 - 12/20/04 03:38 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Casey. I agree. Money is not the most important thing by far. My job is super stressful.

Plus maybe I'd get a discount on one of the naturopath's there. he he

Thanks!

#132015 - 12/20/04 10:55 PM
Laura107

Reged: 12/19/04

Go for the happy job!!! Take a risk! you may regret it if you don't! If you go for it and it doesn't work, at least you have tried! You can always find an unhappy job, right?

#132053 - 12/21/04 06:15 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

SS,
Maybe being a graphic artist isn't for you, I know you dislike the people you work with, but you don't seem happy with the job itself, and that will just carry over to your next job as one. I know a girl that is a graphic artist (she is a couple of years older than me), and she is in the process of going back to school because the level that she is at (she has an Associates DEgree, if that matters any) isn't very enjoyable, and the money isn't what she wants it to be.
I just met a girl last weekend that teaches graphic art to handicapped/mentally disturbed kids, and she loves it. Ok ok I am getting off topic...
If you find something you like not in your field, take it! So what if you wind up back in graphic design? You would have had a nice vacation. Jobs are hard to come by anymore, and the most important objective is for you to get outta that horrible place you work at. I know it has to be scary changing professions after you have been done something for awhile, but it does happen alot. Personal trainer at the gym I go to was a software engineer for probably almost, if not more, than ten years. He has never been happier than he is now being a trainer, he says.

--------------------
-Sheri

#132075 - 12/21/04 07:37 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Spa reporter! Spa reporter! Let's start a business! I have a LOT of time on my hands!

~nelly~

#132090 - 12/21/04 08:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, change is good! Especially if you are unhappy with what you are currently doing! If you don't like it, you can always move on, but at least you tried something new. You knows, it may turn out to be something you absolutey love!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#132101 - 12/21/04 08:30 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Tina,
I'll agree with the concensus of everyone for you to feel free to jump into something new - I don't remember the exact statistic right now, but I know I've heard that the average American changes careers something like six or seven times in thier years of employment - I'm sure its similar for Canadians!
Good luck!
Min

#132160 - 12/21/04 12:49 PM
Sara-Sage

Ya, I know. It just seems like a bit of a waste of education and money to go into something new.

We'll see. I got an email from the owner of the natropath clinic and he wants to know how much I would be expecting to get paid. They might only be offering above minimum wage. I get $22/hour now so I need to make that much somewhere else.

Thanks for the well wishes!

#132194 - 12/21/04 03:52 PM
Sara-Sage

Spa reporter it is!

#132198 - 12/21/04 04:25 PM
Laura107

Hey Sheri, do you have a crush on this personal trainer of yours??? Is he cute? You can tell us sweetie, we are all friends here!! lol You seem to talk about him a lot. It is so cute!

#132208 - 12/21/04 05:39 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Sara, I haven't had time to go through the other posts yet so I don't know what advice has been given but I say do what makes you happy. Who cares if you are going backwards as long as you are happy doing what you are doing? I think a job you love to go to is much more important than a job you hate to go to that you are going to because that's what you are qualified to do! Good luck with the interview and let us know how it goes!

--------------------
Amy

Look before you leap, but go for it!!! And, be sure to have a parachute. new
      #132220 - 12/21/04 06:09 PM
RDumas

Loc: West San Fernando Valley

If it's something you are passionate about...it could do wonders for you income and the IBS. -just a thought.

Dumas.

Follow your passion! new
      #132241 - 12/21/04 08:00 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

You have a lot of years left to work, Tina. I have always been a firm believer in doing something you find rewarding and exciting... a job you actually look forward to going to in the morning!

I know it would be hard to take a salary reduction, but it may be only temporary. This could lead to whole new opportunities for you.

And as you know, stress plays a major role in IBS. If it were me, I would go for the job that offered me peace, fulfillment, and enjoyment. Life is too short to spend so much time at a place you hate doing a job you don't like. But only you can make that final decision.

GL and of course keep us updated. You know we will support any decision you feel is best for you at this time.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Ha ha new
      #132314 - 12/22/04 08:28 AM
Sara-Sage

Sheri- If you do, DO NOT tell him! I have learned that from my own terrible 'crush' experience.

** UPDATE ** new
      #132320 - 12/22/04 08:43 AM
Sara-Sage

Thank you all for your great supportive responses. I've said this before but you guys all ROCK!!!!!

I have heard back from the owner who tells me that I would get $10-12 an hour to start and after a couple of years, could get to $15 an hour.

He then said that there was another position available as an office administrator but it would only pay $12-14 an hour but would require a commitment of 3-5 years.

I know that the pay is lower than what I get, that's not what made me say no. He said that a lady just started on Friday and that if my French was good that I could replace her. To me, that is not ethical and if I left my stable, permanent job just to be let go a week later for a more qualified person, I would be devastated.

I'm glad he told me that because now I am sure that it's not the place for me. I'll keep looking.

** UPDATE ** # 2 new
      #132410 - 12/22/04 12:10 PM
Sara-Sage

Ok, this is weird. I told him that they weren't offering me enough and thanks but no thanks.

He wrote me back asking "What is your minimum salary expectation?"

Boy, he is persistent!

Re: ** UPDATE ** # 2 new
      #132413 - 12/22/04 12:14 PM
Laura107

So are you going to counter offer? or just forget it? let us know. Good luck!

Sheri's crush new
      #132468 - 12/22/04 03:03 PM
Laura107

I say you go for it!!!

Re: ** UPDATE ** # 2 new
      #132476 - 12/22/04 03:54 PM
Sara-Sage

Good question! I'm not sure. I'll se what he emails me tomorrow when I'm back at work.

This is TOO FUNNY as he has never even met me! This has all been done through emails!

To Sheri new
      #132478 - 12/22/04 03:57 PM
Sara-Sage

Ok Sheri. Do you have a crush on your tariner? Do tell!!!

I am thinking that this field just might not be right for me. I am very creative and artsy but this field is so competitive. There's a lot of people way better design-wise than me. I'm so-so.

I think if I felt right about a new profession and it looked like there was a solid future in it, I'd take a leap. This may not be it?

laura and SS new
      #132574 - 12/23/04 07:03 AM
Sheri01

AH! I can't beleive it! I always do that! I never realized I get so obvious! I am a suckah for older guys, and I admit he is pretty hot! Although, he is almost my parents age!
I had a crush for like a week then let it go. He is alot of fun though. I guess he comes up alot because the gym is almost my life right now, I go five days a week, and with having school, there was not much else 'fun' in my free time! I couldn't even escape it going out for drinks after my last history class last week with some other students, one of the guys is a trainer there, also. LOL
Now I know why my BF rolls his eyes when I talk about him!
He accused me of having a crush on an old coworker of mine before (he WAS my parents age (in his forties) ) Of course I *denied* it...
But I couldn't help it! Come to think of it, we were having problems then, too...
Also, back to my PT .... I think he is.... not interested in women. Maybe. I am not sure. it is the first vibe I got.

Should I skip the gift then? Will it look like I am being *too* friendly? I need to know, I will *or would* be giving it to him tonight!
Oh, and SS, I value him too much as a trainer to jeopardize things being weird, and I rarely take leaps when it comes to guys... when I am the one that comes on I am always shot down, no matter how much the guy SEEMS interested. I think it is because guys prefer to do the chasing. (Hunter instinct, maybe?) There is just TOOO much of an age difference (2 times).

I think alot of this came about for the same reasons as SS's crush on coworker... having problems with BF, questioning relationship, eyes starting to wander...
BF and I are getting along now, but I do have faith it *could* work, but I am skeptical if the *intense* feelings are gonna come back.
As I explained to him when we almost broke up-
I am too young to commit to a relationship that is not all I need or pashionate enough
and, getting too old to waste time and stay in one that is not going anywhere (I said it alot better than that, but I lost it...)

Gift or no gift? I don't wnat to make him uncomfortable... I was already going back and forth on it, I think it would be better NOT too, just to make sure that wires don't get crossed.

We are very similiar SS! I am also considering a career/school change, but not sure what I want to do. Luckily I am finding this out at 21, not 30 or 41. Well, I guess that doesn't make us too similiar, most people do change careers/ schooling part way through!

best of luck to ya.

Oh ,and Laura, you know me alittle too wel for someone that doesn't nknow me!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: laura and SS new
      #132586 - 12/23/04 08:02 AM
Sara-Sage

Ha ha Sheri. We are so similar, aren't we! I saw that you had a crush right away. I guess I recognize the way you were talking about him?!

I think everyone notices attractive people but people like us that have doubts about our BF's take it one step further and they become innocent crushes.

About the gift. Do you think it would make him uncomfortable? Does he get other gifts from clients? personally, I might just write him a nice x-mas card and put a gift certificate in it. That way it looks kinda generic and less like you've been planning on what to buy him for ages. Does that make sense?

If he is gay, that's too funny. Exact same thing that happened to me.

Anyhow, let us know you you do gift-wise and crush wise!

Now guess what happened? new
      #132587 - 12/23/04 08:03 AM
Sara-Sage

Since he says "he can't afford me" he wants to hire me to do some freelance graphic design for his clinic. Wow! What a great outsome this has been.

I am just wondering what I ahve done to get him so interested in me! WOW!

#132597 - 12/23/04 08:21 AM
Sheri01

LOL... I was thinking of doing the card thing! Or just some small drug-store Chrstimas-y gift that looked like I picked it up last minute. Seeing how much $$ I am paying for the training I think I may just give a big smile and say "Happy Holidays!"
Good idea with the card!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Now guess what happened? new
      #132598 - 12/23/04 08:23 AM
Sheri01

maybe he is so interested because he is flattered that someone of your expertise and training is interested in his business?
He does seem like he needs to be approached with caution, though.
Do you mean that he would be your "side job"? I have heard that graphic design is one of those fields that even though you have your day job you will take clients on the side sometimes.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Now guess what happened? new
      #132605 - 12/23/04 08:47 AM
Sara-Sage

He aksed if I could do some part-time work for him doing posters and flyers. Of course I said yes and would do it from home. Freelance work is the way to go! I designed a poster for a contract I had last year and got $700 for it! WOW!

It's nuts!

#132614 - 12/23/04 08:59 AM
Sara-Sage

Ya. I have learned to proceed with cation from now on as a crush can RUIN a friendship in seconds.

Good luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3026 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2773

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review