Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anti-Depressant Info - Hope this helps someone
      #131804 - 12/20/04 08:48 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

There's something that's been bugging me lately and I wanted to post about it in case it helps some people here. Sorry I haven't been around lately, I've got bad tendonitis in my left wrist and because I have to type all day at work I'm not supposed to be on the computer at home I've been lurking though and keeping up with everyone!

Anyways, for those of you who may know, I'm currently trying to get off of Effexor XR, and having some pretty nasty withrdrawal effects. I was doing a lot of research into the SSRIs as well as talking with doctors and pharmacists and based on what I found, I just really wanted to share my thoughts here for you guys.

I know a lot of doctors suggest SSRIs to people with IBS and assorted tummy problems, and I'm not by any means against it, but after having two rather bad experiences with them I wanted to post my sort of warning and advice...I figure if it helps one person avoid my pitfalls...it'll be worth it. I personally believe that SSRIs can really help people with IBS (Paxil really helped me), but I find most doctors do not adequately explain the risks...specifically how hard it can be to get off of these drugs.

For those of you who don't know, the shorter the half-life of an SSRI, the worst the withdrawal. Paxil was for a long time known to be the worst (and boy did I have trouble with it!), but Effexor has now taken that title, with a half-life of only 18 hours you can experience horrid withdrawal from missing just one pill! I just feel it's unfair that the doctor's dont' explain the kinds of things you might go through if (or when) you decide to stop taking these drugs (sweats, nausea, anorexia, irratibility, dizziness etc). In fact, I was doing some reading lately that stated that in some cases, Effexor withdrawal can be so bad that some people literally have to stay on it for life...it's considered worse than opiate withdrawal!

Ok, I'm rambling, but basically I just wanted to encourage everyone to make sure they talk to their doctors and get all the info before going on one of these drugs. Obviously, if it's for severe depression you may not have a choice, but if it's just a last-ditch effort to see if it might help the tummy, it seems only fair that people be given all the options before making a decision.

From what I've read, Prozac is the best for getting off of, followed by Lexapro. Paxil and Effexor are the worst and the rest fall somewhere in between.

Maybe I just needed to get this out, but I really hope this helps someone. Believe me, if I had done my research beforehand (and knowing how hard a time I had with Paxil) I would have never decided to try Effexor

Anyways, that's enough rambling from me,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti-Depressant Info - Hope this helps someone new
      #131882 - 12/20/04 12:22 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Thanks for the warning, Kelly. I'm not on anything like that yet, but I appreciate the advice. I'll certainly keep that in mind, should I ever need an anti-depressant.
Terri

#131989 - 12/20/04 07:43 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time getting off your med. I knew Paxil was a difficult one to come off of, but never heard that about effexor.

If I may ask, why do you want to get off of it? I know that antidepressants are suppose to be very helpful for IBS even without depression.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#132009 - 12/20/04 10:07 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Beth,

I don't seem to tolerate SSRIs very well. I'm not depressed, so I don't need them for that reason, it was just to see if it helped my tummy. Unfortunately I've become extremely agitated while on it and have been having terrible nightmares and nightsweats, so it's just not worth it

Kelly

#132011 - 12/20/04 10:20 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Kelly, it sure has been a long time since you have posted. I have missed you, sorry you are having trouble with tendonitis, hope it gets better soon.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the anti's, hopefully it may help someone thinking about trying them.

Lifer with depression. But, for some I'm sure certain treatments are not appropriate. new
      #132013 - 12/20/04 10:37 PM
RDumas

Reged: 12/19/04
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

I'm currently on Effexor XR in combination with Buspar and Abilify. To put it as simple and brief as possible: my childhood depression went on for so long untreated that anxiety and psychosis developed causing a lifelong need for medication. Pretty hardcore, in even less words.

However, it seems here, that doctor responsibility is an issue with treatment for less severe depressions. If this be the case for some (and you), shame on the docs for not letting their patients know what they are getting into. And, these days, a patient needs to be as informed as possible.

Thank you for giving me a different point of view on a medication that helps some and hurts others. I hope it works out for you.

Dumas.

Addendum to above post. new
      #132016 - 12/20/04 11:00 PM
RDumas

Reged: 12/19/04
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

Since you don't have depression that doc was rather irresponsible. I'm sorry that you've have had such a hard time with it.

A few more things of note, such as...there are times I rest in bed at night and fall asleep without taking the Effexor and get horrid nightmares. And, can't fall back asleep until I take the dose. Perhaps it's just the nature of the med. Yet, it seems that Effexor is inappropriate for people on IBS. -just this one man's opinion.

For my severe depression, however, Effexor does have a rather good therapeutic effect. -the best of all I've tried, so far. It's a matter of "side effect tolerance." I've been through worse with other meds (OMG don't even let me start says "Bob the Monk"), and my experiences with psych meds may lend tolerance that is out of proportion to those using them for digestive or other ailments.

If a med exists for the gut that stays out of the head, all the better to go with that...

Dumas.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2586 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1284

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review