All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Here we go again...family issues new
      #131823 - 12/20/04 09:47 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oh that is really sad Melissa, it really is a horrible illness.

I really don't know what will make my Dad realise, we thought being banned from driving would but no. He also crashed the car when drunk but that had no effect.

He also claims that he is not an alcoholic because he doesn't get sick when he drinks, again pure rubbish. He complains to my mother for not banning my brothers from drinking or getting on to them when they come home drubk after a night partying. He doesn't see the difference.

Thing is he is still a selfish man even when sober, and sometimes a dry alcoholic is just as difficult to deal with.

He denies he has a problem because he can give up drink when he wants to (a classic symptom of an alcholic!) but when I read the book about alcoholism so much of it reminded me of him it was like it was written about him!

Thank you for the hugs, I feel them!

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sinead you lived there? new
      #131832 - 12/20/04 10:30 AM

Unregistered

Oh that's so exciting! I want to live there so bad! It is just so beautiful. How did you end up living there?

Well I'm glad to have cheered you up I hope you have a great day!

I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family. n.t. new
      #131833 - 12/20/04 10:33 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Sending hugs..... new
      #131834 - 12/20/04 10:36 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey sinead,

Just wanted you to know that Im also thinking of you and sending loads of hugs...Im so sorry you're having to deal with all of this at this time of year.

Its not seeming to be a great one for a lot of people at the moment...my dads best friend died of cancer last week, so its been really hard for my dad. We knew things werent good, but it wasnt expected so soon. My best friend Jemma(the irish one) has had to go over to achill this week cos her cousin has just been killed in a car accident. And as if that isnt enough, our next door neighbours(an elderly couple), who we're really close to cos my aunty used to be engaged to their son, well hes dying of kidney failure at the moment, theyve said its just a matter of days...my mums really really upset about it...we're just waiting to hear more news. It just seems to be one thing after the other.

I really hope you have a good christmas....I'll be sending xmas wishes your way, I hope the kids have a great day. Take care of yourself and your mam.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<loads of hugs>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------------------
Natalie

Thinking of you, Sinead. ----nt--- new
      #131839 - 12/20/04 10:51 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

#131867 - 12/20/04 12:06 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey sinead
long time no chat...I am so sorry to hear about your dad and the alcohol...so yucky and horrible....I am afraid I have no advice...but seems to me like that was a very good conversation by you..not losing your temper or anything. I really hope he goes through a good phase at christmas...big hugs XXXXXX dalia XXXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Yes Brittany I did! new
      #131914 - 12/20/04 02:35 PM
cailin

I did my degree in Law & European Studies, which meant I studied French to degree level. As part of my French studies we had to spend a semester in France either studying in a French university or doing a work placement organised by our uni. I chose to work and for 8 months I worked as a hotel receptionist in a boutique hotel 50 metres off the Champs Elysees. My accommodation was organised by the employment agency so I got to live in an apartment in a beautiful old Parisian building with an inner courtyard in the 16th arrondisement, on a street called Rue de la Tour, (after the Tour Eiffel)

I loved it and due to my work schedule (7am-2pm or 2pm to 9pm) I had lots of time free every day to explore, and I walked the whole city.

Thanks for indulging my reminiscing!

--------------------
S.

from a chronic depressive and "would be" alcoholic new
      #131916 - 12/20/04 02:46 PM
RDumas

Reged: 12/19/04
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

-my best and only advice is to stay away from him and not let him ruin the best time of the year.

I say this as a person who's depression was caught in time NOT to develop a drinking problem. However, having been exposed to other people with mental health issues, I know how exasperating an alcoholic can be. -hardly professing to being an expert, but with my experience in Emotions Anonymous (an offshoot of AA), a person usually won't break from the denial when confronted by a loved-one. It has to happen with something in their life. -hopefully with minimal fallout and maximum "damage control."

In the meanwhile, have a great Xmas and try not to let the "affliction" get in the way.

Take care and God (er Higher Power) Bless.

Dumas.

#131920 - 12/20/04 02:55 PM
Mona3

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: California

Hi. I am sorry that you have to go thru this. My father was an alcoholic also (he passed of liver cancer in 1986). Luckily for me he was not a mean drunk, just drank and wanted to be left alone. MY advice to you is YOU HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION. Either you stay involved and make your self miserable OR you get out. It may sound harsh but you have to think of YOURSELF and your happiness. I chose to stay away UNTIL my dad finally came around and got help. He was sober the last 3 years of his life. That is all I can really tell you. There is no easy answer or easy way around this, so do for YOURSELF first.

Mona

thanks nat new
      #131922 - 12/20/04 02:59 PM
cailin

Thanks Nat, sounds like you are having an awful week too.
I went to bed when I came home from work as I was really down. I also decided not to call home tonight, even though I was talking to Mam a couple of times during the day, I just figured that I need a little break from it. And bed did that! It is so cold here I had loads of clothes on for my little snooze.

I was up til 1.30 last night stripping wallpaper as BF thinks he might convince the builder to plaster the hall stairs and landing the day after tomorrow as he is unlikely to be starting another job before Christmas, that is the theory anyway.

I am really fed up of having the builders here, we don't even have our Christmas tree up yet (we bought it on Friday, a real one, and it is outside.)

Bf and his younger brother are currently sanding the walls in my hall, its 11pm. The neighbours are gonna hate us so much!

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 658 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review