All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Work and IBS-there's more to the story under the UPDATE below!
      #129221 - 12/09/04 12:53 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Has anyone actually had to stop working or only maintain PT status because of stress caused by the job that increases IBS problems. Or had to reduce/stop because their symptoms got in the way of work? Or do pretty much all of you maintain to keep FT jobs in spite of the IBS?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (12/11/04 08:13 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Work and IBS new
      #129225 - 12/09/04 01:00 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have maintained my full time job. Although, I run a small optical office and my stress isn't TOO high. There are days when its very difficult to work because of the pain and or bloating. I find the thermacare heat wraps help me get through those days. They make a menstrual cramp one that goes inside your panties and just leave your shirt untucked and no one can tell your using it! I'm not sure I could maintain my full time status though without my anti-depressant medication!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#129229 - 12/09/04 01:06 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I work full time. My job is pretty stressful (i am a corporate lawyer) but I am pretty good at managing my stress and coping with it. Also I am IBS-A so cramps are my main symptom as opposing to D/C.
I did have quite a bit of sick leave with cramps before I was stable, days I would have to go home after lunch etc but have only had one IBS related sick day in the last ten weeks (five virus related ones though )

--------------------
S.

#129244 - 12/09/04 01:35 PM
Augie

I don't know if I should keep my PT job or try to work a FT. I need to decide in 3 hours! I am pretty symptomatic but work may get my mind off of it.

Nice to know others can still hold down FT jobs in spite of the IBS!

--------------------
~ Beth

#129248 - 12/09/04 01:42 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've had to miss a few days of work because of IBS but I still manage to maintain my FT job....it can be VERY stressful at times but my boss knows about my medical condition and doesn't question me when I leave the office a bunch of times to use the washroom.

#129254 - 12/09/04 01:55 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I know others have had to give up work due to chronic illness...Casey and Ruchie are two I can think of.
If you are really suffering it might be bad idea to start a new FT job until you are more stable so the PT is probably a good plan if you can afford not to work FT at the moment until you are more stable.

Just my opinion...go with what feels right to you..

--------------------
S.

#129255 - 12/09/04 01:56 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Yep.,I work full time too! I'm fortunate that I have an "office Job" and can have all access to the potty! Sometimes it does stink to have to work with a bad IBS flare up but honestly sometimes coming to work keeps my mind off of it. If I were at home I'd lay around and never get my butt moving and that probably would depress me!

I also look at it as I pretty much have no choice as I have to work full time. Part time is not an option!

Try the full time and see what happens. I think the longer you deal with IBS the more it just becomes a part of your life and you can deal easier. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#129262 - 12/09/04 02:07 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I work 36 hours, so almost full time. I have a LOT of sick days though. I've had two this week as things are really messing with my belly.
I'm seriously considering reducing my hours..... but I really like having money also!

--------------------
*Emma*

#129266 - 12/09/04 02:12 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I've tried holding a full time job, but can't maintain it. My IBS symptoms are a LOT worse when I'm working (though I have only had high-stress jobs) so I miss a lot of days and end up either getting fired or having to quit So I'm trying to get stable while I'm not working and trying to find a part-time job that's 5 or so hours a day, regular schedule. No jobs here right now though

I wish I could hold a FT job though - I feel so bad and useless at home and don't know what to do about it

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#129272 - 12/09/04 02:26 PM
Augie

I know what you mean. On my days off, or the hours I don't work, I get depressed and sort of "out of the loop". Like everyone is living life without me.

If I do stay PT, I think I might go back to school in am's and work PT in pms.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4040 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6388

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review