All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Work and IBS-there's more to the story under the UPDATE below!
      #129221 - 12/09/04 12:53 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Has anyone actually had to stop working or only maintain PT status because of stress caused by the job that increases IBS problems. Or had to reduce/stop because their symptoms got in the way of work? Or do pretty much all of you maintain to keep FT jobs in spite of the IBS?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (12/11/04 08:13 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Work and IBS new
      #129225 - 12/09/04 01:00 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have maintained my full time job. Although, I run a small optical office and my stress isn't TOO high. There are days when its very difficult to work because of the pain and or bloating. I find the thermacare heat wraps help me get through those days. They make a menstrual cramp one that goes inside your panties and just leave your shirt untucked and no one can tell your using it! I'm not sure I could maintain my full time status though without my anti-depressant medication!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#129229 - 12/09/04 01:06 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I work full time. My job is pretty stressful (i am a corporate lawyer) but I am pretty good at managing my stress and coping with it. Also I am IBS-A so cramps are my main symptom as opposing to D/C.
I did have quite a bit of sick leave with cramps before I was stable, days I would have to go home after lunch etc but have only had one IBS related sick day in the last ten weeks (five virus related ones though )

--------------------
S.

#129244 - 12/09/04 01:35 PM
Augie

I don't know if I should keep my PT job or try to work a FT. I need to decide in 3 hours! I am pretty symptomatic but work may get my mind off of it.

Nice to know others can still hold down FT jobs in spite of the IBS!

--------------------
~ Beth

#129248 - 12/09/04 01:42 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've had to miss a few days of work because of IBS but I still manage to maintain my FT job....it can be VERY stressful at times but my boss knows about my medical condition and doesn't question me when I leave the office a bunch of times to use the washroom.

#129254 - 12/09/04 01:55 PM
cailin

I know others have had to give up work due to chronic illness...Casey and Ruchie are two I can think of.
If you are really suffering it might be bad idea to start a new FT job until you are more stable so the PT is probably a good plan if you can afford not to work FT at the moment until you are more stable.

Just my opinion...go with what feels right to you..

--------------------
S.

#129255 - 12/09/04 01:56 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Yep.,I work full time too! I'm fortunate that I have an "office Job" and can have all access to the potty! Sometimes it does stink to have to work with a bad IBS flare up but honestly sometimes coming to work keeps my mind off of it. If I were at home I'd lay around and never get my butt moving and that probably would depress me!

I also look at it as I pretty much have no choice as I have to work full time. Part time is not an option!

Try the full time and see what happens. I think the longer you deal with IBS the more it just becomes a part of your life and you can deal easier. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#129262 - 12/09/04 02:07 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I work 36 hours, so almost full time. I have a LOT of sick days though. I've had two this week as things are really messing with my belly.
I'm seriously considering reducing my hours..... but I really like having money also!

--------------------
*Emma*

#129266 - 12/09/04 02:12 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I've tried holding a full time job, but can't maintain it. My IBS symptoms are a LOT worse when I'm working (though I have only had high-stress jobs) so I miss a lot of days and end up either getting fired or having to quit So I'm trying to get stable while I'm not working and trying to find a part-time job that's 5 or so hours a day, regular schedule. No jobs here right now though

I wish I could hold a FT job though - I feel so bad and useless at home and don't know what to do about it

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#129272 - 12/09/04 02:26 PM
Augie

I know what you mean. On my days off, or the hours I don't work, I get depressed and sort of "out of the loop". Like everyone is living life without me.

If I do stay PT, I think I might go back to school in am's and work PT in pms.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks, I'll need Luck! new
      #129274 - 12/09/04 02:29 PM
Augie

I hate making irreversable decisions! If this FT job doesn't work out, the PT job I do have will be gone and then I may not have anything! I hate risks. But it could work out! I'll let you know.

--------------------
~ Beth

purple lollie new
      #129278 - 12/09/04 02:53 PM
cailin

in my FT job I only work 35 hours!

--------------------
S.

Thanks everyone new
      #129355 - 12/09/04 07:04 PM
Augie

I'll let you know what I decide about taking the FT job or not. And if I do take it, I'm counting on you all for support!!!

It helps so incredibly much to know that I can come home from a stressful or depressing day and have all of you in my corner. Just a click away on this old computer!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Work decision UPDATE-losing it big time new
      #129497 - 12/10/04 09:38 AM
Augie

Okay guys. I told my manager last night (the PT job) that I had found a FT job and that I would be leaving! Now, this morning, I'm thinking I made a mistake and just want to run back to her tomorrow and tell her "never mind, take down the help wanted sign, tell the staff I'm really not leaving!" But I'm scared she might get upset for having to redo the schedule, take down the anouncement on the marquis, tell everyone I'm really not leavng (not to mention the embarrasement of changing my mind, like I'm a scaredy cat and everyone would know it). Oh what have I done.

The positive things about staying PT is that I could go back to school and get a degree in a field that would make some decent money, an amount that I would be able to live on. This new job (FT) does't pay much at all. It's about equivalent to the PT job added to the supplemental income I was receiving for disabitity (yes I was sick enough to qualify for that per my doctors help). The FT job would be more fulfilling and less stressful as I am not dealing with the public the entire time. And perhaps I should go off the disability. Though that is scary too.

With my low tolerance for stress, I don't think I could handle going back to school and working FT at the new job. And I might need to return to school if I ever want to have an income that would allow me to own a home, or take a vacation, or just not survive paycheck to paycheck. I have no idea what I would go back to school for. Perhaps something in Health Care or a Masters in something like school psychology. I already have my BA in psychology, but that isn't getting me anywhere! No computer skills!

Help me guys. I'm so stressed. I might have just screwed up everything. I don't know if I did the right thing and I don't know if it would even be possible to change anything at this point. Or if I really did make the right decision. The new place thinks they have me and the old place has begun the steps to replace me and has notified all the staff I am leaving.

Please anyone, advise me. I am really losing it today and now more than ever I need all of your help. I feel like I'm having a nervous break down. I don't know what to do. Like I said, the new job is not good pay, but I like the work better and everyone is nice. But for my long term goals, is it the right thing? Although the training I get in this new and the new skills I will learn may take me to a better job in the future.

UGH. I need you guys. Please any help or advice. I love you guys and trust you. You are a smart bunch of cookies.

Gratefully

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Work and IBS Update! Need Help soon new
      #129587 - 12/10/04 01:28 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You poor thing!!! It's not easy making a choice like that!

I admire you of thinking of your future and making the long term commitment to get yourself the decent pay wage! It's so hard leaving, but don't let it stress you out! I'm sure enough people at work will tell you you're doing the right thing, and that they'd wish they were in the same position!!

I'm totally in your corner on this one, Augie! You can make this work!!

~nelly~

Nelly new
      #129615 - 12/10/04 02:02 PM
Augie

I'm sort of confused on your answer. Do you think I should keep the FT job or go back to the PT job with my added supplement so that I can go back to school?

Thanks for the support! And for being there for me!

--------------------
~ Beth

OK can I change my answer-- new
      #129647 - 12/10/04 04:25 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

What I MEANT to say is I'm in your corner no matter what you decide. I'm rereading my last post and I think I confused your choice with the other one. What I'm 100% behind (ok typing really slow this time...) is that you're thinking about your long term plans and #1 doing what's best for you right now by eliminating your stress and #2 working towards saving money and #3 identifying going back to school as a potential down the road, once you've sorted the $$ and stress situation.

I think I'm going to have to take a nap now that I've obviously messed this all up. I've been up for 20 hours and I'm just generally obtuse, so please forgive me as I've put my foot in my mouth once again. *hanging head*

~nelly~

#129654 - 12/10/04 04:40 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi,

I don't have IBS, I actually have UC (I've had it for almost 1 1/2 yrs). I've managed to hold down a full time position (37.5 hrs/wk)since being diagnosed. I teach exercise classes at a nursing home. I do seem to end up with more sick time than I did before having UC but I told my boss about my condition (after I was out of the 3 mos. probationary period). I mainly told her b/c I've been switched to a different drug that req. me to get my blood checked regularly so I have more dr's appts. now.

Bottom line, even when it's really tough you can't let IBS get the best of you. I think you should definitely try the FT position if that's what you really want to do.
Good luck.

JLL24 new
      #129656 - 12/10/04 04:48 PM
Augie

Thanks for your reply. I admire you for living life without having your health dictate your decions. Under my UPDATE LOSING IT POST it explains a little more about other factors that are going into my difficult decion. Would love your opinion on that if you haven't read it yet.

Thanks for being kind enough to offer your thoughts and words of advice!

--------------------
~ Beth

AUGIE!!!!!! new
      #129658 - 12/10/04 04:53 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

HONEY CALM DOWN AND BREATH!!!!! I wish I could tell you what to do, But I just don't know!! Have you tried making a pro and con list! I am sure what ever you decide it will all be ok!! Changing Jobs is so stressfull for anyone!!! Take a deep breath and try making that list!! I KNOW everything will turn out!!!
BIG HUGE HUGS!!!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#129722 - 12/11/04 07:50 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi there! I have a full time job and work 37 hours a week.

I am doing great these days. But I was VERY rough from Jan. - June 2004. I just counted up my sick days and I used 11 for this past year. But 80% of those days off were during the very rough months.

We have a super strict policy about not taking too many sick days. I just BARELY made it this year! I have not been called into the office in the past 5 years that I've worked there for missing too much time. And I know a few people at my work who have, more than once. And they don't have IBS. It was just missed time from colds and the flu. I barely ever gets colds (knock on wood).

I am really hoping to be able to cut my sick days in half in 2005. To me, that will show that my IBS is improving.

Another thing, when I felt awful and couldn't call in sick every single day for a month, I made myself go into work. An Imodium (or two) and a few cups of peppermint tea later I would realize that the worst was over and I was glad that I dragged my butt into work. It's hard sometimes but kinda has to be done if you can.

Best of luck.

I know I ask a lot from you guys, but... new
      #129724 - 12/11/04 07:58 AM
Augie

I really, really, really need you guys for some opinions on this one. I'm am just so totally stressed over whether or not I did the right thing. Anyone with insight, please let me know your opinions. I know I sound desparate, but I'm truly wondering if I just messed things up for myself!

PS. I'm sorry I'm such a pain lately. It's been a bad month for me and my anxiety is coming out on this website. Probably because my support system at home is zilch. That just sounded like a cry baby, didn't it! Oh, what am I gonna do with myself. I'm even driving myself crazy, so I can't imagine what I'm doing to you guys!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Work decision UPDATE-losing it big time new
      #129730 - 12/11/04 09:18 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Beth,

What a tough call to make.

Can you start this new FT job, try it out for a month or so and then see what happens? Would you be able to gte your PT job back if necessary?

Don't be so hard on yourself. It will make you feel even worse. I know you know that you it's a gentle reminder.

Ok, do you think you are feeling up to working at a FT job? If so, go for it. What made you decide to look for a FT job in the first place?

Sara-Sage new
      #129733 - 12/11/04 09:42 AM
Augie

You are such a good person! Thanks for trying to help me figure this out. I know I am a pain lots of times. Seems to be a rough month for me!

No, I checked before excepting the FT job and my old job will not let me come back if it doesn't work. They said it wouldn't be fair to the others not to get someone new in to cover my hours. So that option is out.

The reason I wanted FT is because I thought it would pay more (not the case with this new job though since the pay would be equavalent to my PT pay plus the supplemental income). Also, I thought it would help my self esteem to be working FT like a "normal" adult who is not "sick". Many of my free time hours were spent ruminating on my IBS pains and symptoms and I thought that if I worked FT it would help me not to focus on them as much, but learn to live with them and not have them the center of my day! Does that make sense? I know when I worked at the library PT (my old job) the times I did work, my mind was able to escape from the IBS for a while as I need to focus on my job.

I just wish this new FT job paid more. It would be more worth the risk of losing my supplemental income, and maybe I wouldn't have to go back to school in order to make a decent wage!

What do you do Tina? If I remember correctly, you weren't too happy with your current job and were thinking about changing? What is your training in from university?

Thanks again for caring and for investing some time in this. I can't tell you how much it means to me that I am not alone in this!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Work decision UPDATE-losing it big time-bump new
      #129928 - 12/12/04 03:51 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I know I ask a lot from you guys, but... new
      #129972 - 12/12/04 06:42 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Hi Beth~

I know you're really stressing about this, but you've got to try and calm yourself down, or you'll only feel worse. You won't know until you try the new job whether it'll work out. You may find that it's the best possible thing ever, and you may be very happy and stress-free. There is no reason why you can't be out there looking for another PT job just in case this one doesn't work out. And if it doesn't work out, there is no shame in that. You'll still learn from it. You'll still have made an effort to try something new. Take heart from that! You are really taking an excellent leap.

So yes, I think that you are doing the right thing. Any attempt at a new and better life is a good thing. If it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world, and we will be here to help you get through it! Try not to stress right now - give it your all and you may just surprise yourself!

Best of luck to you! I really hope that this new job is a dream come true for you!

PS - sorry this sounds a bit disjointed, I'm not typing what I'm thinking very clearly!

PPS - you're not whining at all! It's understandable that you're stressed, we're here to help you get un-stressed!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#129976 - 12/12/04 07:04 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I agree with EVERYTHING Amber just said!!
HUGS HON!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

SlicksGirl new
      #129978 - 12/12/04 07:31 PM
Augie

Thank you so much. You don't know how badly I needed to hear that tonight. It's been a long weekend. After just giving notice on Thursday, I have had the entire weekend to ruminate on what I have done.

In the past, my decisions have always seemed to backfire on me. I guess that makes me very leery in future decisions. Especially ones that may cost me a lot. I will try to remember what you said. If this one doesn't work out, or if I find I can't handle a FT job yet, I can always look for another PT job. I tend to have narrow vision and often cannot see outside my tunnel vision. To see the other options out there.(You read the entire thread and still think I made the right decision)?

Thank you so much Amber for your support and for your insightful views. It is such a very comforting feeling to try and remember that I have you guys in my corner. And if I need to come to you guys if I get into trouble with this job, I can count on you guys to help me figure out what I can do to get out of the situation or even to stay in it but with a new approach or coping tool.

You are a pretty smart chick for being so young!!!

And I'm wondering why my IBS pain is in overdrive tonight. Well, duh! I am so anxious and stressed and have gotten myself all worked up as usual. I think stress flares up the IBS more than the foods in my case.

Thanks again sweetie.

Ps. Have you started trying an SFS yet?

--------------------
~ Beth

Heather new
      #129981 - 12/12/04 07:44 PM
Augie

It's been a long weekend and I have had bad pain and IBS crap, and I wonder why? Can you believe I'm still struggling with this issue. Probably will until they fill my old position and I won't have the option of going back. Then I'll have to make this new job work.

But a big part of me still wants to call my old manager and ask her not to hire anyone cuz I'm coming back.

Thank you for supporting me, Heather. I'll be counting on you for future support if I find myself not making it at a FT job. Just don't know if I am up to it yet. Guess I'll find out. I've been on disability because of extreme IBS issues for 3 years, and it is scary to risk losing that. If the new job doesn't work out, I may be in big trouble.

On another subject, hope you are feeling a little more relaxed about your to do list. I hope you can turn off your brain tonight from your list and get some sleep. Have sweet dreams, darling!

--------------------
~ Beth

#129984 - 12/12/04 07:50 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hey. I agree with amber too. You've done the right thing. Just go with it, try to relax and I'm sure everything will turn out okay in the end, and if this job doesn't work out there are always more options available. Hope you start to feel better soon and whine all you want. We're here to listen and help in any way we can to get you de-stressed.
I totally understand the decision making thing. Since my IBS got really bad I have a motto that I seem to live by. Can't remember where I read it but I actually have it written in the front of my organiser cause it kinda makes me giggle. It's "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure". Dumb I know but if it makes me laugh a bit I figure it's a good thing. Sending lots of hugs in your direction.

--------------------
Amy

Thanks Amy new
      #129988 - 12/12/04 08:05 PM
Augie

I just wish there wasn't so much at stake. If I find I can't handle the FT I will have lost my disability and then I don't know what I'll do for money or medical insurance.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Amy new
      #129998 - 12/12/04 08:44 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Sorry. Didn't mean to make light of a serious situation. I think government payments and stuff work a bit differently over here and medical insurance isn't a must in Australia thanks to medicare. I really do hope that it all turns out for the best. Sending lots of good luck vibes.

--------------------
Amy

Re: SlicksGirl new
      #130001 - 12/12/04 10:14 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Quote:

Thank you so much. You don't know how badly I needed to hear that tonight. It's been a long weekend. After just giving notice on Thursday, I have had the entire weekend to ruminate on what I have done. It's always hard when you have to think about it for a while, but it's done now, so you've got to train your mind to just look forward. Look to the future, don't regret things that may not be mistakes.

In the past, my decisions have always seemed to backfire on me. I guess that makes me very leery in future decisions. Especially ones that may cost me a lot. I will try to remember what you said. If this one doesn't work out, or if I find I can't handle a FT job yet, I can always look for another PT job. I tend to have narrow vision and often cannot see outside my tunnel vision. To see the other options out there.(You read the entire thread and still think I made the right decision)? I do think you made the right decision. And there are a lot of things that you can do right now (rather than worrying) to save yourself from future trouble, or at least lessen the shock. For example, talk to whoever it is that deals with your disablilty. Tell them honestly that you want to try a full time job, but are as yet unsure whether you can handle it. Ask them what you can do if it doesn't work out, so you don't lose your benefits. Then pull out your newspaper and get on the net and look for jobs. You don't have to wait until this job goes bad (which I don't think it will, but we're planning for the worst) to start looking. Talk to friends and people in your field to market yourself. Then in the future you will have those contacts should you need them. Head to some job fairs as well; some places will take your resume and leave it on file for quite a while. If they call and you feel like getting out of this f/t job, you've got another door open. If you're doing fine at this job, then you can politely decline. By getting proactive and making plans for the possibilities, you can really get rid of a lot of the stress.

Thank you so much Amber for your support and for your insightful views. It is such a very comforting feeling to try and remember that I have you guys in my corner. And if I need to come to you guys if I get into trouble with this job, I can count on you guys to help me figure out what I can do to get out of the situation or even to stay in it but with a new approach or coping tool. That's absolutely right. We're all here for you, and we're all rooting for you, no matter what happens.

You are a pretty smart chick for being so young!!! Thank you!

And I'm wondering why my IBS pain is in overdrive tonight. Well, duh! I am so anxious and stressed and have gotten myself all worked up as usual. I think stress flares up the IBS more than the foods in my case. Well, now's the perfect time to take care of yourself!! Go take a hot bath and drink some tea and give yourself a manicure. Relax - no matter what happens, you will be fine! Every day brings new opportunities, and you just reached out and snagged one! Give yourself a pat on the back for it!!

Thanks again sweetie. My pleasure! Take care hon!

Ps. Have you started trying an SFS yet? Nope, still don't have the money for it. I really don't know when I will either ... it's going to be on the back burner for a while, I'm afraid.

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Re: SlicksGirl new
      #130094 - 12/13/04 07:12 AM
Augie

Thank you again. I must admit, I know my position at the PT job is still open, and I know they would take me back tomorrow. So tempting to call and say I changed my mind. Then this whole stressful fiasco would be over and I will not have jeopardized anything. And my PT pay plus the supplemental income would be the same as my FT job but with less stress and less risk. So tempting...I don't know why I just can't commit to one or the other

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3950 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6388

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review