All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wanted to share a heartwarming Christmas memory...
      #128637 - 12/08/04 07:43 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

The christmas before last, I was watching TV, and they had a newsreport about the Camden Rescue Mission being short on toys for their toy drive that ended that night. Some kids were gonna be turned away empty handed I was so sad that I decided to take action! I called up my BF(we were only together a few months then) and off to Walmart we went (it was so late nowhere else was open). I called up and found which age groups they were missing the most, and concentrated on that. The woman that answered the phone asked the little 'santas helpers' what they wanted for christmas, one kid said 'socks', and it broke my heart, it really did! can you imagine being a little kid, and instead of asking for a popular game, you wnat SOCKS!!!??? I know I cannot put too much stock in this, since kids do ask for weird stuff (one year the only thing on my list was pens ).
Lets just say that I spent quite a bit of my christmas bonus on hats, gloves, games, basketballs, talking scooby doos, etc. But it felt good. Didn't do it last year, I had just moved out and was getting my budget in order.
But, I am definaetly doing it this year. I hope to make this my Christmas tradition. I know alot of people give to charities during this time of year, but some don't. I am not trying to sound all high and mighty, I just thought I would remind everyone that there are people out there that need help from their neighbors this time of year. And charity is a two way thing, not a self-less act, becuase the feeling that helping a person will give you is just the greatest!

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wanted to share a heartwarming Christmas memory... new
      #128646 - 12/08/04 08:22 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

great thing to do... I give year round- when things are needed- tiem and things, but one thing I do every year is sometime in early Dec (tomorrow) I spend an afternoon at the local IHN shelter with the kids after school making presents for their families- this year we will be painting wooden figures and shapes and plaques!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Sheri- That's so great!!! new
      #128648 - 12/08/04 08:36 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

#128663 - 12/08/04 09:12 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

that was a wonderfull thing to do!!!! We always pick Angels from the Angel Tree and donate Toys to the Toys for Tots program!!! It feels wonderfull to do it!! plus it teaches Kenna a good lesson I think!!! Great story Thanks for sharing it!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#128671 - 12/08/04 10:10 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

You don't sound high and mighty! That is a great things to do! Being a teacher we do alot of things for families at our school and it amazes me how much kids want to help other kids who are less fortunate. I bought toys for a family at our school and have donated canned goods to our caring and sharing wagon. It's a great feeling and a good reminder to those of us who do have those things! LOL

#128685 - 12/08/04 10:24 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

What an awesome story, Sheri! In the past, I usually try to put all my spare change in the Salvation Armys' buckets outside of stores.

Last night, however, I went to my local Safeway to do some grocery shopping. When I opened my car door, I instantly heard Christmas music coming from a loud source. I looked towards the door and saw about 20 kids from a local high school band playing Christmas carols in order to raise money for the homeless. They were also collecting canned goods.

While seeing this may prompt some people to put a dollar or two in their collection box, there was another aspect that prompted me to put a $20 in their box...

Their music was so awful!

For some reason, I started tearing up (maybe be due to all my stress lately) at the thought that a band, who knew they weren't very good, was courageous enough to play anyways in hopes of raising money for the homeless. Being a full time student and living alone forces me to be on a tight budget, but I couldn't resist donating extra to these hard working high school kids.

So that's my heartwarming Christmas story this year. Hopefully they'll be back next year to do the same.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#128691 - 12/08/04 10:32 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

That is very sweet Sheri.
I donate a small amount to each envelope I get seeking donations the weeks before Christmas, I also got toys for the toy appeal at work and I have direct debits to charity monthly. I agree with Amie about giving time, but never have to date, BF just joined a mentoring programme at work for disadvantaged students, I will make a New Years Resolution to get more involved!

--------------------
S.

Last year was my family's best Christmas .... new
      #128751 - 12/08/04 01:22 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Our family decided to join a few other families who were going to a men's homeless shelter. So on Christmas morning, the 4 of us (my husband and I and our two teenage boys) loaded up presents our church congregation had donated and took them to the shelter.

It was eerie driving around town on Christmas morning. There was no traffic downtown. We passed the Greyhound bus station and there was a father and his teenage son serving hot meals out of the back of their SUV. Then when we rounded the hill, we saw them----hundreds of scraggly, bearded unkemp men huddled on the sidewalk, waiting for a warm meal. We unloaded their presents (toothbrushes, toiletry items, juice and crackers, and gloves), and you would've thought we were giving them a million dollars! They were all so appreciative and thanked us for making their Christmas day brighter.

Someone from church had put together a box of children's backpacks and mittens. We asked the men if they would like one, and their faces lit up. "I could give one of those to my little girl," one said. "My grandson would love that. I can have that? Are you sure?" another asked, pleased that he now could give as well as receive.

Then we went inside and joined the men as they ate their special Christmas dinner volunteers had prepared. Many told us stories about how they had great jobs but had been laid off. Others said they had been sick and had no health insurance. But all of them were optimistic that 2004 would be a better year for them.

As we were cleaning up the tables, we heard a noise outside.
A big truck had pulled up in the driveway and someone was unloading candy---not just any candy, but boxes and boxes of See's Christmas candy. There were solid chocolate Santas, boxes of assorted truffles, and the prettiest candy canes I'd ever seen. The deliverer was a local businessman who had set up a See's Candy booth at the mall ---and this was the candy he had left over on Christmas Eve. He delighted in seeing the faces of the men as he left his donation. As he rounded the corner in his truck, someone yelled, "Merry Christmas, Santa!"

I looked up to see my sons handing out candy, smiling and wishing the men a "Merry Christmas." And I marveled at the contrasts---here you had hundreds of homeless men, happy to have warm gloves and nice candy. And then there were the volunteers----white, nicely dressed residents from the nice suburbs. Regardless of our backgrounds, I'm not sure who was more blessed that day!

It was a Christmas I'll never forget---and I don't think my boys will either. If you get an opportunity to do something unexpected for someone else on Christmas day, I encourage you to. I promise, you'll be truly blessed.

Re: Last year was my family's best Christmas .... new
      #128985 - 12/08/04 08:20 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

awwww, BL that is so sweet! Sounds like quite the memories for you and your boys, that is nice to teach them those things young

--------------------
-Sheri

#128994 - 12/08/04 10:06 PM
SteveNJ

Reged: 12/08/04

awesome story!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 589 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review