All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Made it barely through two pre-x-mas parties! (long post)
      #127886 - 12/05/04 04:51 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Well my friends this was the start of what my first holiday will be like with IBS. It started with a party on Friday. That was kind of a disaster because nothing was IBS friendly. The main meal included B-B-Q beef and cheesy pototoes and many desserts, dips, hot dogs in wine sauce,. Needless to say I brought shrimp cocktail and did try the beef. My stomach did semi-ok but I had terrible gas. But the kicker of the night was one my friends sister asked me how I got so skinny. Well I told her that I had some stomach issues and was diagnosed with IBS. Well she and her friend said "Where can I get some of that IBS to lose this post pregnancy weight.?" I told her trust me you don't want this. But of course they laughed and made it out to be nothing and left me feeling a bit stupid. I know she meant well in a sense but HELLO can you find a better way to compliment someone!
Then came the family party Sat. and the main meal was turkey but everything else was not IBS friendly. UGH!!!!!!!!! I don't know if I am going to make it through the holidays. To top it off I thought I would cheat with a few bites of things and my stomach still didnt cooperate! It was not feeling well at all this weekend.
Finally today we stopped to grab a sub and I asked for a grilled chicken with no cheese and mayo. Do you think they could get it right? NO! I got half way home and discovered my sub smothered in cheese! This has kind of depressed me. I really have tried to make the holiday focus about family and getting together, not food. But it is so hard! I wish I could take a five course IBS safe meal everytime with me!

Sorry this is so long. Just had to vent and I know that I can here! LOL

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Aww... new
      #127888 - 12/05/04 04:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That really stinks. It IS hard - I mean, you can go and suffer, or you can stay home and look antisocial. Pthbbt to all of it.

I've had friends make comments like that... it irritates the bejeezus out of me. You almost want to say "You want this? Here, have it. Don't call me when you can't sleep because you're doubled over in pain, or can't leave the house for a couple days because your D won't stop." Sheesh.

Well anyway... good luck for the rest of the holidays.

Re: Made it barely through two pre-x-mas parties! (long post) new
      #127890 - 12/05/04 05:14 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Out work party was at a pizza place/bar - they had every kind of imaginable pizza and deep fried accompaniment! They did have some salads too, but no SF to eat with it that wasn't deep fried!
I had a big bowl of rice before I left... but I didn't end up staying long as I succumbed to the corn nuggets after a while and started feeling a bit dodgy. I was also getting sick of the "WHY aren't you DRINKING, Emma? Just ONE won't hurt you! GO ON!" heh.

My workmate also baked these adorable gingerbread houses for everyone in my team at work. I feel really bad about it, because they're just gorgeous... but I had two bites of mine and they must have had egg yolks in them (I'm especially sensitive).... so I felt bad for my workmate who'd done such a great job, and bad in my tummy as well!
Here are some pics of the house, it's just darling! And it has a chocolate Santa inside!

--------------------
*Emma*

#127895 - 12/05/04 05:26 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

I decided I'm jewish- my office holiday party is next Fri and its an hours drive from home.. forget it.. but when people tried to make me out as anti-social I had the perfect excuse- it's during chanukah adn I'll be at a local hanukah party that night.. NOT we aren't going to that either... the official decision has been: I go to thigns I can't avoid- his moms or dads, etc.. and bring my own food in the car (or purse- luna bars) and eat if I can, if not I have fun.. and we get people to come to our house.. otherwise if I attend its with the intention of not eating and I tell the hosts... or if its a big thing, just the people I am going with. with working he shift I am on- it works... and yes working the 5 AM shift helps when you tell peopel you wont' be eating at a party that starts at 7 PM because its 15 hours after you got up and too close to bedtime... and since DH doesn't drink- the alcohol is easy to avoid too... meds.. thats it.. and actually right now with me on Celebrex thats true!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#127907 - 12/05/04 06:10 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

BIG HUGS!!!! I hope the rest of your holiday goes well!!! I understand about people saying Stupid stuff!! I get it all the time because of my weight loss!!! BIG HUGS!!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#127918 - 12/05/04 06:38 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Just wanted to say good luck with the rest of the christmas period. I braved my first restaurant take away the other night. Unfortunately DH chose the restaurant and it turned out to be Italian. How many italian meals are there that are dairy free, low fat and include potatoes (or some other form of SF)? I ended up not getting anything and coming home to eat

--------------------
Amy

#127982 - 12/06/04 06:38 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I can commiserate on the weight comments! One of my boyfriend's friends makes comments like that about going on "the Melissa diet" to lose weight or something like that. Granted my boyfriend's from Houston, and his friends love fatty, spicey Mexican food that his roommate's mom sends them, but still, it's not fun.

I had my one roommate who made dinner for the apartment this weekend, but she made chicken (I'm a vegetarian), garlic mashed potatoes (with butter and milk) and salad, so of course I couldn't eat any of it. Blah, silly people.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Aww... new
      #128059 - 12/06/04 10:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have the same problem when we visit Wills family! They try to be sensative about it but they like to cook with butter and fat in everything! Last year, Wills dad made the best salmon tetrazeni (sp?) it was made with a cream sauce and could see it swimming in butter! They quilted me into eating it saying whats the worst that could happen?? I warned them and a couple of hours later it was time to go to Church and I had the worst, painful and horribly smelling gas ever! I couldn't help it and HAD to fart in the car and everyone started rolling down the windows and laughing It got so bad at church, I had to go wait out in the car because I smelled SO bad, I wasn't fit to be in public! That was the last time Wills parents tried to get me to eat something they know I shouldn't!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

ROTFLMBO! new
      #128095 - 12/06/04 12:58 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

Oh my god I am so glad my class is done for the day because they would want to know why I am cracking up! Not at your pain but your lovely details! Girlie you are too funny! Unfortunaley my husband's side of the family is not that relaxed, my side yes, but not them!

Re: ROTFLMBO! new
      #128107 - 12/06/04 01:33 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Glad you found me amusing!! Yes, I'm lucky that his family is very understanding. I was REALLY embarrassed at first but sometimes there is just no holding them in!! Wills dad had his esophagus removed due to cancer and is constantly burping because of it so I fit right in!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Aww... new
      #128134 - 12/06/04 03:14 PM
arnce

Reged: 05/23/04

I know what you mean by losing weight. I have lost a lot of weight between being on the IBS fat-free diet and not eating when the "episodes" arrive. It's very depressing but I only wish I knew of something that would be consistent in taking care of IBS. Have you or any of the IBS sufferers tried 1T of aloe juice (flavored) before meals. It seems to soothe. Anyway, I'm not looking forward to the holidays with all the luscious food and I wouldn't dare touch it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3422 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1106

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review