All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Not sure if this is the right place...
      #126322 - 11/30/04 08:53 AM
iluvrob20

Reged: 05/04/04

Hi! My name is Sarah and I'm a long time lurker first time poster. I have post infective IBS from a horrible bout with Giardia a little over a year ago. I'm 19 and in college and generally I am set off by stress...I luckily dont have the dietary restrictions that most of you have.I am slowly recovering and returning back to my pre IBS days. However, my biggest problem is that I am an IBS with Diahrhea (sp?) and tend to get very irratated back there. I use Witch Hazel pads and Prep-H but they seem to have stopped working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I apologize if this is in the wrong place but I wasnt quite sure where it was to go.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not sure if this is the right place... new
      #126325 - 11/30/04 09:03 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Hi and welcome! Usually questions dealing with IBS and diet are posted in that forum. The living room is more laid back and chatting about everyday things. But not to worry you'll soon figure it out and your questions will get answers not matter what. This question actually was brought up a few weeks ago by Casper (username). If you go to the IBS diet board and look back to previos post I think it was titled something like itching and Hemmroids. I suggested diaper cream used for babies. It really worked for me after I had my son. There are also other suggestions on this post. Sorry but I am not sure how to include a link to it??? Maybe someone else can find it and link it in their post.

#126337 - 11/30/04 09:39 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Hello there -

I know what you mean about the sore bum. Yipes!

I would suggest not using Tucks type wipes because they do have witch hazel and alcohol in them. Both can be very irritating and drying for the skin, which delays healing.

Better to use plain warm water or fragrance free baby wipes. Fragrance can be very irritating, and if my bum is already sore, I don't want to make it worse! Keep some in a small tupperware container in your purse. Some brands sell small travel packs.

Vaseline - I use Vaseline on my bum if it is very sore or irritated. It moisturizes and creates a protective barrier from your urine which will only burn and irritate it more. Vaseline comes in small tubes that fit great in your purse.

Another thing that can be very helpful are sitz baths. Go to the drugstore and buy one - they look like a mini toilet seat or potty chair! Probably only a few dollars. They come with instructions. The warm water soaks feel so soothing and help promote healing in your perianal area. That's why ladies use these after delivery - it feels sooooooo good after passing a 8 lb person! I used to tell my patients to think of it as a hot tub for your bum!

I hope this helps you!

#126340 - 11/30/04 09:43 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I second the baby wipes!!! I have been using them almost everyday after having a BM and they not only make clean-up easier, they don't irratate that sensative area. I keep a bucket of generic moisturizer baby wipes next to the potty. You can get them cheap at Costco or target and really make a big difference!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#127191 - 12/02/04 09:31 PM
iluvrob20

Thanks for all your help! I will chuck the tucks (That sorta rhymed) and get some babywipes after work tomorrow. I saw those wash cloth type ones on TV and think that sounds divine. About the sitz baths what exactly is it...and can you do it in a shower? Dorms dont have bathtubs and im not quite sure sitting in the middle of the bathroom floor is something my roommates what to see .

But thanks again!

#127205 - 12/03/04 01:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Flushable baby wipes, vaseline and nappy rash cream!

Btw, if you're still having D, restricting your diet will make it alot easier on your digestive system. Alot of people don't realise how much their diet affects their symptoms because other stuff causes the main attacks, but it still affects you!

#127235 - 12/03/04 05:56 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

If you are in a dormitory setting, IBS can be horrible! The lack of privacy during attacks must be embarassing.

A sitz bath looks like a mini toilet seat with a bowl under it. It comes with a tube and a bag. You fill the bag with hot water (not too hot) and let it run into the tube. You set the sitz bath on top of the toilet seat. There is a clip that the tube goes into and if you sit down on the sitz bath seat, it bubbles up and creates a mini "spa" for your bum. Your bum rests in the hot water and you control the flow of the water into the sitz bath by elevating or lowering the bag. When done, you dump out the water in the toilet and reuse the sitz bath as needed.

If you could somehow discreetly run into the bathroom with the sitz bath wrapped in a towel, quickly fill up the bag with water and then run into the stall you would have some privacy. It doesn't make noise or anything - I think people would assume you just in there doing normal 'business'.

Have you noticed that there is a time that less people are around?

Here is a link to drugstore.com. They sell 2 kinds there and there are pictures. I thought that it might be helpful if you could see what they look like.

http://www.drugstore.com/search/search.asp?searchtype=1&trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=sitz

Good luck!

#127708 - 12/04/04 10:00 PM
iluvrob20

awesome thanks! Luckily I live in an apartment style dorm so its just me and my 3 roommates all of whom know about my IBS. I actually haver about 3 hours on mondays that i am alone. I may have to run out a get one of those baths they sound devine. Babywipes ahve been working so far and hopefuly with the return to home cooking in 2 weeks it will reduce the D. I try to watch my diet in the dining all since EVERYTHING is fried but sometimes those fried things are so tempting. I have perscription stuff for my flares so sometimes I just figure its worth being a bit pukey for a bit of some guilty pleasure. Call me dumb...or just a glutton for punishment

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 933

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review