Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
19 Minutes to a Clean House
      #125192 - 11/24/04 09:49 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

19 Minutes to a Clean House
from Real Simple

The holidays mean unexpected guests, dropping in to spread cheer -- but causing you anxiety over a not-quite-clean house. Don't worry. We've got speed cleaning down to a science. Simply incorporate our 19-minute method into your routine and you'll have a tidy house all day, every day.

KITCHEN: 4½ MINUTES
• Wipe down the sink after doing the dishes or loading the dishwasher (30 seconds).
• Wipe down the stove top (one minute).
• Wipe down the counters (one minute).
• Sweep, Swiffer or vacuum the floor (two minutes).
Tip: Always start with the sink. "Keep it empty and shining," says Marla Cilley, author of Sink Reflections. A sparkling sink becomes your kitchen's benchmark for hygiene and tidiness, inspiring you to load the dishwasher immediately and keep counters, refrigerator doors and the stove top spick-and-span, too.

BATHROOM: 2 MINUTES
• Wipe out the sink (30 seconds).
• Wipe the toilet seat and rim (15 seconds).
• Swoosh the toilet bowl with a brush (15 seconds).
• Wipe the mirror and faucet (15 seconds).
• Squeegee the shower door (30 seconds).
• Spray the entire shower and the curtain liner with shower mist after every use (15 seconds).
Tip: Make cleaning the basin as routine as washing your hands. But don't stop there. Get the most out of your premoistened wipe by using it to clean around the edges of the tub and then the toilet before tossing it.

BEDROOM: 6½ MINUTES
• Make the bed (two minutes).
• Fold or hang clothing and put away jewelry (four minutes).
• Straighten out the night-table surface (30 seconds).
Tip: Make your bed right before or after your morning shower. A neat bed will inspire you to deal with other messes immediately. Although smoothing sheets and plumping pillows might not seem like a high priority as you're rushing to work, the payoff comes at the end of the day, when you slip back under the unruffled covers.

LIVING ROOM: 6 MINUTES
• Pick up crumbs and dust bunnies with a handheld vacuum (one minute).
• Fluff the cushions and fold throws after use (two minutes).
• Wipe tabletops and spot-clean cabinets when you see fingerprints (one minute).
• Straighten coffee-table books and magazines. Throw out newspapers. Put away CDs and videos (two minutes).
Tip: Start with the sofa -- as long as it's in disarray, your living room will never look tidy. Once you've fluffed the pillows and folded the throws, you're halfway done. Pop in a CD while you dust; you should be able cover the whole room by the end of the third track.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 19 Minutes to a Clean House new
      #125195 - 11/24/04 10:44 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Okay, anyone who can squeegee their shower door in 30 seconds and pick up crumbs with a handheld vacuum in 1 minute has my never-ending respect! LOL

Did you do all this in 19 minutes, Shell?

Maybe it's possible if you're on drugs like the author of that article!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#125198 - 11/24/04 10:54 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Okay, anyone who can squeegee their shower door in 30 seconds and pick up crumbs with a handheld vacuum in 1 minute has my never-ending respect! LOL

Did you do all this in 19 minutes, Shell? Heck NO... more like 19 hours!! LOL No, once the place is CLEAN...it can stay that way for a few weeks.... then we have to start all over again. We are TRYING to be better about it. One good way is to ALWAYS be expecting company....we have people coming over several times between now and the Jan...that it will help.

Maybe it's possible if you're on drugs like the author of that article! LMAO!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#125207 - 11/24/04 11:20 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Did you do all this in 19 minutes, Shell? Heck NO... more like 19 hours!! LOL No, once the place is CLEAN...it can stay that way for a few weeks.... then we have to start all over again. We are TRYING to be better about it. One good way is to ALWAYS be expecting company....we have people coming over several times between now and the Jan...that it will help.
Jeesh! Within 2 days of cleaning, my house will look like a pigsty. DH has a few really bad habits, and I get tired of picking up after him all the time. So when I clean, I really have to clean and I end up having to sike myself up prior!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

FlyLady.com new
      #125237 - 11/24/04 01:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Shell!

Marla, the women that wrote Sink Reflections, has a website called Flylady.com. It ROCKS! I am hopeful one day I'll have the strength to follow her daily routine once again (did it last year in NY on my good days...it was AWESOME!)

Thanks Shell! You brought smiles to my face!

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#125245 - 11/24/04 01:41 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Darn, I spend HOURS cleaning my tiny studio, one day of throwing dishes in the sink cause I got done school late at night and BAM! Everything goes to heck and I have to start all over.

--------------------
-Sheri

Clutter guys.... new
      #125255 - 11/24/04 02:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

LOL If you have clutter the system doesn't work.

If you have to take stuff off the stove (like last night's pots), it won't be so quick to wipe it down. But if you clear everything before bed and wipe it down every day....30 secs should be enough

Just a thought....

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#125259 - 11/24/04 02:05 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Man, I wish this were the case... even if I could do those things in that amount of time, it doesn't account for the epic tumbleweeds of animal fur. Chasing those suckers down is quite time consuming.

Also, during the school year Eric and I are both so busy we're big slobs. When I'm consistantly working fifteen hour days I just can't be bothered cleaning things up.

are you Naturally tidy or messy? new
      #125284 - 11/24/04 02:52 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Is anyone on here a naturally tidy person?

If so you FASCINATE me! (I am a naturally clean but untidy person)

I have a friend who keeps all her lotions and potions bottles in their original cardboard boxes, perfectly lined up. Mine are thrown in a basket and sometimes I forget to put the lid back on. Which of us sounds like you?

Do you ALWAYS hang your clothes the moment you take them off and NEVER put them on the back of a chair?

I am anal about hoovering the mat in the sitting room and cleaning the worksurfaces but am really untidy in my bedroom and tend to leave a trail of shoes and bags behind me.

I'd be really interested to find out which you are!

--------------------
S.

Major messy here! new
      #125290 - 11/24/04 02:57 PM
Snow for Sarala

I am the queen of clutter....ESPECIALLY since I'm so achey these days and no energy to move more less clean up!

I would say I'm avergae when I feel good.

I HATE clutter but I sem to make so much of it!

I love organizin things.

I'm half and half LOL

GREAT post Sinead! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5811 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3574

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review