All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
University new
      #124037 - 11/20/04 02:21 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
Yeah, I used to go to University when I was living in Canada before. I left to come to England for 6 months, and then ended up staying for 2 years so I haven't been in school for a while!
I WAS doing an English degree, until I realised that I am absolutely useless at understanding poetry so then was undecided. I enjoy History, so I may do a degree in History although I have no idea what I would do with it once I've gotten in. More recently, I've been thinking about doing a degree in Psychology.
First I have to get my "Associate of Arts Degree", which I need 7 more classes to have - so I am going to take both Psych and History classes for that, then decide between the two for when I have to declare a major. Scary stuff. Lots to buy. Money, money, money. Means no car for me! Oh well, I've gotten pretty used to the bus!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: University new
      #124040 - 11/20/04 02:27 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Sounds very interesting, I would love to go back to college! And a break in your education will have you more focussed on what you ACTUALLY want to study too, and you get to go back to Canada and away from your yucky sorta inlaws. Its WIN WIN WIN WIN for Steph!

Can I pry some more? How did you and Adrian meet? Was it in the UK or Canada? (hope its a mushy story, I love mushy stories!)

Sinead

--------------------
S.

oooh videos... new
      #124041 - 11/20/04 02:27 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey Sinead, Ive seen Shakespeare in Love which is good if you like those kinds of movies..I did...though I think I remember it being slightly strange?? Havent seen the talented Mr Ripley...is that the one with Jude Law?? Don't know the other one either. Im just watching Moulin Rouge on channel 4...Ive never seen it before but I love musicals like chicago...I was brought up on them. This one seems a bit weird though at the moment! Arrr and I think it is cute holding hands in a DIY store too..lol...hope that happens to me someday...Im 19 boyfriendless and judging by the choice of men at the moment gona be for a long time to come...I seriously am unlucky when it comes to things like that...I cant wait to be all loved up. I went out last night and got into an argument in a bar with a lad who thought it was alright to feel my a**e and said I should take it as a compliment and that I brought it on myself by being attractive! I actually smacked him across the cheek ...oops...couldnt help it...I am feministic when it comes to things like that and I find it offensive and rude...men these days dont seem to know what the word gentleman or respect mean....we're just an object apparently...grrr it makes me so mad...glad you're happy...aaahh you've got me dreaming...lol...

--------------------
Natalie

Mushy Stories! new
      #124046 - 11/20/04 02:36 PM
Stephie

Okay, but I wanna hear your 'How We Met' story afterwards!

So.. alright, this isn't that romantic but Adrian and I met in a pub in England. When my girl friend and I came over here, we got jobs in this pub in Kent. We lived there as well. Without really going into it, it was by the far the WORST job (and the worst overall experience) of my LIFE. Our boss was terrible, we had bedbugs, worked 13 hour shifts.. awful). Anywho, the pub was Adrian's local and all his friends used to come in and sit at the bar all the time. He knew all the bar staff really well.
He was SO NICE to me and my friend, they offered to take us out and show us around London and we went out lots of outings with them to Hastings and Camber and stuff, it was fun. Problem? He had a girlfriend! Did that stop me from making a total you-know-what out of myself one night when I was really drunk? Nooooo.
So he broke up with his girlfriend about a week later, and about a week after that we went out on our first date. The problem with THAT was that everyone had spent so long convincing me to drop it and forget about him, that I didn't even know it was a date! And I invited other people along!

I think a better story for us was that he came home with me to Canada for Christmas, and we both had decided that I would stay in Canada and he would return to England we wouldn't be together anymore. So it was hard, but we both still wanted to have Christmas together so he came. He had to go home on New Years Day, we had to leave for the airport at 4 o'clock in the morning! We went to my friend's wedding on New Year's Eve, and he all of a sudden had this massive change of heart and asked me to come back to England for the year and then he would move to Canada. It was really hard at the airport, crying and all that mushiness because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do.. but in the end, we all know how it worked out!

Okay, your turn!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

that would make me MAD! new
      #124050 - 11/20/04 02:41 PM
cailin

I have 2 tricks for when my a$$ is grabbed )depending on my level of intoxication.) These were used in my college days and I am now much more respectable (well that's what my employers think!!)
)
1. Grab hand that is grabbing you,while still looking away dig nails in and stamp preferably stilettoed foot on foot of person who owns hand. This is an unnoticeable to the crowd as what he did to you

2. Do exactly what you did! Oh yes, I have done this a few times.

A friend of mine has a couple of lines she uses ranging from "in your dreams" to "shouldn't touch what you'll NEVER have"

I have done the feminist rants too and asked guys if they thought that grabbing my a@@ would make them more attractive to me, and proceeding to slurringly lecture them on how to treat a lady!

I was boyfriendless at 19 too, its a good thing, If I had met my BF earlier I couldn't have been as sure about him and my feelings for him unless I had something to compare them to! (we got together when i was 20, in 3rd year in college)

I am pretty loved up at the moment, me and my guy are together a LONG time and understand each other, we rarely argue and work well together, we are both very independent and not threatened or insecure in our relationship. Oh and I fancy the pants of him which helps!

It just works and that's great, but I know if I had thought at 20 that I was looking for a guy to buy a house with and spend my life with I wouldn't have known where to look and would have been COMPLETELY freaked out, it just happened that we did meet when we did and we managed to stay together and its all working out great.

(mushy mushy 'nead!)

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Natalie new
      #124051 - 11/20/04 02:42 PM
Stephie

Hiya,
Good for you for telling that guy how it is when he tried to grab you! I CANNOT believe people are so gutsy when they do stuff like that! I was at a.. well, an admittedly really lame club known for 15 year olds and fights, but anyway.. club with my boyfriend and a guy grabbed my bum when I was walking by! I mean.. HELLO! I was with my boyfriend! Luckily, he didn't see or I think he would have gone back there and 'explained' to the guy why that wasn't appropriate!
Are you enjoying Moulin Rouge? I like Chicago, but I really wasn't into Moulin Rouge AT ALL. It's one of the only movies I've walked out of before the end! I can't remember now why I didn't like it so much, but when I saw it was on TV I thought I'd pass!
Don't worry about the boyfriend thing! Trust me, once you have a boyfriend you'll be wishing you were single again! Women are never content, are they?? Have straight hair, want curly hair.. have curly hair, want straight.. Single? want a boyfriend... and on and on. Oh dear! It's so exhausting!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

AWWW!! Here's mine...LONG! new
      #124052 - 11/20/04 02:59 PM
cailin

Awww...yours is lovely, I LOVE airport scenes and its a show of commitment to say something like that..

here's mine..........
Met Padhraig (there, I'm so mushy I've typed his name! Its pronounced PAW-RIGG) when a mutual friend ran for student election in April 1996. We had chemistry from the beginning but even though we were both single we did nothing about it til June when we kissed at an end of college term party hosted by the friend who introduced us.

We both went home for the summer, him to Sligo, me to Wexford (350miles from Sligo) for a month and then back to Limerick where we went to college (200 miles from Sligo!) for the rest of the summer, we didn't contact each other at all.

I had my "wild" summer, I lived with a group of guy friends from my class and we partied A LOT! (if I hadn't I don't think we would be together now!)

Back to college in September, I can still remember the first time I saw him when he came back after the summer. I was plastered, just having been offered a job, and was on crutches because I had fallen into a hole and broken my toe on the way home from a party. He was sober and scared!

SIX very frustrating weeks passed , we spent loads of time together talking but I felt he was holding back and I didn't want to make an idiot of myself and eventually I decided with a friend that if P and I didn't get together "by Wednesday" then I was moving on from my infatuation! I even refused my brother to come visit me that night!

So this friend and I got some of our college societies' budgets (she was in the same one as P) and had a mutual event which involved us buying drinks, hiring a room and only inviting 15 people of our choosing.

That night we got together, and he asked me to go out with him. October 30, 1996.

We have a distance story too..in February 97 when we were together only 3 months he was doing a college work placement in NYC and was going to be gone til September. We talked about it and agreed we didn't want to break up just because of that, and I decided to spend the summer in the US. So for four months I survived on a once a week phonecall and the odd letter (I wrote to HIm all the time!)
this was before email was very common!

I was so scared going out there in June, but my 21st was the first day of my finals and he sent me 21 red roses, and a fedex package with a handmade voucher for a helicopter ride around NYC, concert tickets for a concert in NY and a weekend in Washington DC. I was bowled over, and I knew I had made the right decision.

We had such a good summer together and I applied to do a Masters in Limerick as I was a year ahead of him in college. September 1998 we moved to Dublin, P to do his Masters and me to work and we decided to move in together, (with 2 friends from college) it was a completely practical as opposed to romantic/serious thing to do and it worked out unbelievably well.

We moved in on our own in August 2002 and bought our house together last July. I am glad I took the risk on those few months in 1997!

mushily loved-uppedly yours,

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: AWWW!! Here's mine...LONG! new
      #124058 - 11/20/04 03:10 PM

Unregistered

Hope you don't mind me butting in but your stories are so great! I wish I could find a great guy and have such fantastically mushy stories as both of yours. Unfortunately I'm like Natalie and the boy situation around here is quiet awful and at this point I need to do all the things I want to in my life and really work on loving myself 100% (as silly as that sounds - but i promise it makes sense) before I could let someone else love me. Is marriage in the near future for either you??

marriage? me? new
      #124061 - 11/20/04 03:22 PM
cailin

Glad you liked the stories Brittany, you are not butting in at all! I love hearing them and I love telling mine. I always tease Padhraig that he played so hard to get that he nearly lost me!

I completely understand about the loving yourself, if you don't then you won't let anyone else in. I have one friend with really low confidence about herself and her body and she constantly drives men away with her body language as she comes across as really snooty.

Marriage....I will wait to be asked but if I marry anyone it'll be him!

We talk about the future together and our kids and stuff and we do talk about our wedding when we are at weddings but he refuses to let me talk about it too much!

And I am a traditional girl and want to be asked!

Near future....well I am 28 now, and would like to get married while I am no more than 30 because I want to start having a family too, but right now we can't afford the wedding we would like and while I know that's not important in the grand scheme of things its a consideration. We also want to relocate after we get married and that isn't a step we are ready for yet.

So if he asked me i the morning I would say YES YES YES!, but I am not disappointed that he hasn't asked as I am secure in our relationship and know how much he loves me!
I am not one of those poor girls whois jusy dying to get married and her guy won't commit. (diplomatic answer, but I know what I mean! )

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: marriage? me? new
      #124063 - 11/20/04 03:30 PM

Unregistered

Yeah that's my thing too..I've had big confidence and body image issues in the not too distant past and no matter how many times someone will tell me that I'm pretty or whatever part of me just doesn't believe. And I get the whole coming off snooty thing too. I don't know though, all in good time I suppose.
But I'm glad you know where your relationship is headed though. I'm traditional like you and will definitely wait to be asked. Maybe he's just planning something big and wants to catch you off guard. - you sound like you found a great guy! Lucky girl! Where are you guys wanting to relocate to?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2914 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27355

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review