All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
my friend has leukemia and i need some hugs
      #121391 - 11/12/04 08:00 PM

Unregistered

So my good friend was diagnosed with leukemia in September and it has just been a rollercoaster of emotions since then. She goes to school with me and had to drop out because there was just no way she would be strong enough and the chemo schedule is just too intensive. It's just crazy too because she is 24 and was so healthy and then boom. It's so scary. When she found out (after going the hospital one night because she was finally just feeling so awful and ended up having 4 blood transfusions and they told her she could have died soon if she hadn't come in and they didn't see how she was walking around) but they told her that her prognosis was good and that they should have her in remission by last month and that she wouldn't need a bone marrow transplant and that the leukemia wasn't in her spine (which is a very bad thing since that connects to your brain). Well then one kind of chemo ended up not working for her since she had a really bad pancreas reaction so they had to stop that, and then they decided that maybe a bone marrow transplant was a good idea just because then she'd be cured (though she was quite hesistant about that since it's so risky) well then they tested her sister and found she was a perfect match and that was great news if they decided they needed to do it. Well then it turns out that her sister is missing like 3 main links on being a match and now they don't feel comfortable using her and need to find a match elsewhere. Then Nicki was getting so sick lately and her neck and back were killing her and so last weekend she was in the hospital and they told her that they saw something in her spine and that it could be the leukemia in there and they'd have to test it. So we've all been praying all week that that wasn't the case because then she'd have to get a titanium port stuck into her head (and it's just so sad because she has no hair) and they'll have to give her more intensive chemo through her brain and she's only like 5' tall and really small and the chemo now is giving her a hard enough time so she just didn't see how she could take anything more intensive. Well they did the tests on Monday and she hadn't heard anything all week and so tonight she text messages me on my phone and says that she's in the cancer hospital in Tampa (where she's been going for all of this) and they found it in her spine and they've already started the chemo. I just can't believe that so much could happen to her and that it keeps getting worse! She doesn't feel like talking and I can't even imagine how upset she is. Plus the financial burdens of this are going to be at least a quarter of a million dollars and she had to take a break from paying her school loans so she can get new loans to pay for all of this because her medical insurance only covers up to a million I think. Anyhow, I just felt like I needed to let all of this out. Thanks for reading this if you made it this far! Hope everyone else is doing well.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: my friend has leukemia and i need some hugs new
      #121392 - 11/12/04 08:04 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh my god.. I'm so soo sooo sorry! That hits home hard.. especially considering i'm 23. That's so young for such a terrible disease.. I hope everything works out ok in the end.

--------------------

#121404 - 11/12/04 08:32 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Brittany, I am so so so so sorry. You must be so upset and feel so helpless. Your poor sweet friend. How scary for her and everyone involved. Makes IBS just fade into the background..doesn't it? Sending you big big hugs. Can you go and see her or does she just want to be alone?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#121407 - 11/12/04 08:42 PM

Unregistered

right now she just wants to be alone. You are right, it really makes you feel bad for complaining about stupid stuff when you see how big of a deal this is. She's had such a good spirit through all of this and she's always making us laugh so it's even worse to know that it must be bad when she is SO down. Thanks for the hugs and good thoughts!

I'll be praying for her and you new
      #121409 - 11/12/04 09:21 PM
Ambie_t2004

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Illinois

I will be praying for both you and your friend and her family. For strength in this time of need and for support and love for her from friends and family. I hope things will start looking up for her.
Many hugs and blessings.

#121437 - 11/13/04 06:28 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am so sorry your friend had to go through this!!! I will keep you, her and her family in my prayers!!! Since she wants to be alone try sending her a card with a long letter letting her know your there if she needs you and how much you love her!!!!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<BIG HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------------------
Heather7476

I wish I could hug through the computer! new
      #121454 - 11/13/04 07:42 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey Brit,
You know Im always here if you need someone to talk to...I was thinking about you the other day and hoping that everything was going okay with your friend...Im glad you posted...Im just so sorry that things arent better for her...it really does make me put my whole life into perspective...you feel guilty for complaining about a bad ibs day when you hear about people so much worse off...I really am praying for her. Keep me updated on everything...I know you're so busy...Im up the wall with things to do too...I'll email you again soon...take care...loads of hugs xx

--------------------
Natalie

Thanks guys for all the support nt new
      #121466 - 11/13/04 08:37 AM

Unregistered

#121502 - 11/13/04 01:40 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Oh Brittany,

I am so sorry to hear such sad news about your friend. I will say some prayers for her. I don't know what else to say except that I am sending you bunches of hugs.

Hugs
Barbie

--------------------

#121513 - 11/13/04 02:01 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Oh Brittany,
There is really nothing any of us can say that will do a whole lot of good. Just know that even when you feel useless, I'm sure your friend really does appreciate having you in her corner. You will have to find a balance between letting her be alone, and letting her know you are there for her without crowding her. Nobody likes to be crowded, but as a good friend you need to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't shut herself out completely.
So sorry you have to go through this, and sorrier for your friend.
We're all praying for both of you.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#121560 - 11/13/04 06:41 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I know how hard it is dealing with a friend in need. My Junior year in highschool I missed a few weeks of school because I was in kidney failure. When I got back I found out my best friend had been diagnosed with brain cancer. The worst part was not being able to help. She still refuses to talk about it, and now that were away at colleges in different states, it's really hard to determine how she's doing because if I ask outright she hangs up on me. To make matters even worse her younger brother was recently diagnosed with the same type of cancer. It's hard feeling useless. I'd love to tell you it will get easier, but unfortunately it won't. After four years I still don't know how to deal with it. Let your friend know you're there for her if she needs anything, but if she wants to be left alone, be enough of a friend to back off. Hang in there, and know that we're here if you need us.

Meg

#121566 - 11/13/04 06:57 PM

Unregistered

I'm so sorry to hear about the situation with your friend. It really is tough to not be able to do anything to help her. We're all trying to get fundraising stuff going for her to help her out with that part of the stress she's feeling, but I wish there was a way I could be there for her even more. Well I appreciate your kind thoughts. I hope things work out with your friend too.

#121833 - 11/15/04 08:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh, I'm so sorry. I just saw this post and feel awful for your friend. I wish I knew what to say. Big hugs for sure! How are you doing today, have you heard from her again?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#121858 - 11/15/04 09:45 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Brittany,
this is so awful, hugs to you and your friend, have no idea what else to say
Sinead

--------------------
S.

Heard from her yesterday new
      #121860 - 11/15/04 09:48 AM

Unregistered

She said they aren't going to have to put that thing in her brain, but they've had to put it in her spine and she got like 23 hours of chemo yesterday. She is sounding okay but definitely down in the dumps - that's totally understandable though. Thanks for all the kind words!

Thanks for all the hugs and kind words - you guys are awesome! nt new
      #121861 - 11/15/04 09:49 AM

Unregistered

Re: Heard from her yesterday new
      #121872 - 11/15/04 09:57 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, I guess thats at least some good news not having to put the shunt in her brian. I bet she is wiped out after 23 hours of chemo, wow. I hope she feels better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 863 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review