Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Ahh, it got even better. new
      #119191 - 11/05/04 04:39 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am so mad for you!!!
I hate waiting for repair men and then to not have one show!!!! GGRRRRR
I was thinking can you finace it???? I know alot of companys will do that in the winter with a broken furnace!!
Just a thought!!! BIG HUGS!!! Bundle up and stay warm!!!!
I am sorry you had to cancle your plans!!! Maybe tommrow you can go out and play!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well, we've had our first house-related... new
      #119204 - 11/05/04 06:02 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm sorry to hear you're haivng such problems but at least its not the furnace itself needing to be replaced, just the transformer... good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Me, too Casey new
      #119207 - 11/05/04 06:15 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Casey,

Our furnace isn't working either. We had our first cold spell the other day and the furnace won't come on. The repair man is coming today.

I got a little space heater that I used in our bedroom and it keeps it nice and warm while we sleep and now I have put it in the family room for some heat. It works pretty good. They aren't expensive about $20.00.

Also, I put my heating pad under the covers so the bed is nice and toasty when I get in.

Good Luck staying warm. BRRRRRR!

Barbie

--------------------

Re: ... and me ! new
      #119223 - 11/05/04 07:22 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Moved into a new house in the summer and was told the oil boiler needed servicing and a couple of things doing, called someone to do that and it turned out it is too old, too big, illegally installed and a fire hazard. The amount it would cost to put right ie replace boiler, tank and feed line, plus possibly other stuff too, I thought I'd rather spend a bit more and get off oil altogether. Decided to try a renewable source fuel, but all companies are so busy and, yes, we were let down on appointments a couple of times too, so we have only just had a site visit for estimate and still need to go through funding application which could take ... I don't know how long ... Result: winter is fast approaching and we still have no central heating. We do have one open fire plus a couple of electric heaters borrowed from kind friends. Trying to eat something hot at most meals (until ten days ago we didn't have a cooker either so this is a big help) and we keep reminding ourselves that not so long ago everyone lived like this anyway!

On the positive side, if you still love your house after all this (we do!) you can be sure you are in the right place!

Have you posted pictures of your house, Casey? I would love to see them!

Josephine

Eeek! Sorry to hear it, ladies! new
      #119235 - 11/05/04 07:44 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Stupid furnaces!! Josephine, that's just awful... thankfully, our system's been inspected and all that, and it's all a-ok and up to code, it just probably hasn't been cleaned, serviced, or worked on since the original owners sold it 5 years ago. And Barbie - I hear ya! - I sleep with my heating pad, and I have a little electric heater here in my office, so at least I can be warm when I'm on the computer!

Josephine, I'll be back in a minute with some pictures... I know I posted some, but it was months ago and darned if I can find them now. LOL!

House pictures for Josephine new
      #119238 - 11/05/04 07:51 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ok... I haven't taken any new pictures since we moved in, so anyone who's been here for a few months has probably seen these already. These were taken back in July, before we moved in.

Front of the house:

Part of the backyard, showing the lovely deck:

Another part of the backyard, showing a tiny corner of the landscaping (and, in the foreground, the un-landscaped part that I'm going to turn into a vegetable garden):

We got this place for a song. Seriously. And yes, I do still love it here... the furnace is just a SMALL glitch in the broad scale of things!

Re: House pictures for Josephine new
      #119308 - 11/05/04 10:07 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Casey, your house is beautiful! Just like a postcard of a typical New England home. Now I can imagine you cooking lots of wonderful food in the perfect setting. And the garden looks great too, I like gardens a bit overgrown and it's really good that you have room for a vegetable garden because it makes such a difference to the flavour.

Thanks for posting the pictures again for me. Hope you get the furnace fixed soon for a really cosy winter!

Josephine

Re: Well, we've had our first house-related... new
      #119312 - 11/05/04 10:19 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Oh how I sympathize! Home ownership is great, but then there's that whole taking care of a house thing! Last week while I was in China my hot water heater blew. We now have a new one, but the geyser that errupted from the old one flooded our basement (it is fully finished) so we're having to put down new carpet and everything that was in my basement is now in the middle of my living room floor! It looks like we moved in yesterday! What a state to come home to! But I must say that hubby handled it great, so that was a big help.

Hope you get things fixed with the furnace before your first big freeze - 20s sounds cold enough for me alright!

Min

Re: House pictures for Josephine new
      #119353 - 11/05/04 12:32 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

$1500 repair new
      #119361 - 11/05/04 12:53 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hey Casey,

The repairman just left. The furnace only needed cleaning that's why it wouldn't start. But, while he was up there he found some things wrong with our AC like the drip pan was full & we need a new evaporator coil, etc. $1500 worth of repairs. Anyway, I need to get the AC fixed cause even in the winter here we can have 80 degree days and we need to use it. OY!

At least we have a reliable repair guy.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2096 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review