All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
You are not going to believe this!!!!! -- Please help me!!!
      #118445 - 11/03/04 10:17 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

A couple months ago I received a letter from Harley Davidson "welcoming me" to a HOG membership. Considering the fact that DH works for Harley Davidson, I figured it was just because I was his wife and didn't think much of it. I just now received a title in the mail for an actual motorcycle, with my name, address (in MN), and my date of birth! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This means someone purchased a bike with my name, DOB and social security number! And it's probably on my credit now! What do I do????????

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You NEED to report it, immediately!!! new
      #118447 - 11/03/04 10:19 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
I work in the police station and we report a lot of frauds and deceptions just like what has happened to you and you MUSt report it to your local police station. Unfortunately, people do this kinda stuff all the time.
Good luck!

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: You are not going to believe this!!!!! -- Please help me!!! new
      #118450 - 11/03/04 10:20 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

call them and ask about it. then get in touch with the states attorney's office about it. or call the cops. they'll help too. thats identity theft and a federal offense.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#118452 - 11/03/04 10:24 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm not trying to be a smart @$$ here....but any chance Hubby bought one and is hidding it somewhere?

If not... then report it to the police and then contact the people who sent you the title and ask them to please advise you on the next step. Maybe they can provide the dealer info so you can report to them?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Holly Crap!!!!! new
      #118453 - 11/03/04 10:24 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

First of all call everybody you have an open account with and change everthing!!!! Make sure you call your bank so who ever can't get at you money in the bank!!! Then Call the place the bike was bought at. It should be on the title!! Tell them what happened!! Then find out what bank the loan is through and get ahold of them!!! You may even want to call the cops and report it!! That way you have proof that your identy has been stolen!!! This is all I can think of. JEEZZ O PETES!!! I am so sorry this is happing to you Rachel!! I hope everthing works out!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#118455 - 11/03/04 10:26 AM
Sunshyne

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: San Antonio

haha, I was just IM'ing with her and asked her the same thing... did hubby try to surprise you?? I hope that is it! Identity theft is nothing to be idle about!! Good Luck Rach!

Re: You NEED to report it, immediately!!! new
      #118457 - 11/03/04 10:27 AM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

Yes, you should report it to the police ASAP. You also should report it to the three credit agencies (Equifax, TransUnion, &
Experian). It's a pain to deal with, but if you nip it in the bud you can save yourself extra grief.

Re: You NEED to report it, immediately!!! new
      #118470 - 11/03/04 10:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yikes!!! I don't really have any advice to add. I had my credit cards stolen about 2 years ago. A women came into my office and stole them from my purse. The credit card company called me and said they wanted to verify some charges that were made. I told them I hadn't made any charges because I was at work! It was a big mess. They ended up charging about $5,000. It took a while to get it removed from my record and I never had to pay any of it but it was a very stressful thing to deal with! Good luck!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

stevensa said exactly what I was going to say! do it quick! -nt- new
      #118473 - 11/03/04 10:42 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

~nelly~

Oh good grief!! new
      #118474 - 11/03/04 10:43 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just echoing what everyone else has said... call the police first, then start calling everyone else... credit cards, banks, etc. Holy smoke. That seriously stinks!! *hugs*

Steps of What to Do: new
      #118476 - 11/03/04 10:46 AM
Nelly

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

They've outlined what you do. Go get 'em, grl!!

~nelly~

That's awful new
      #118501 - 11/03/04 11:10 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

I hope it is a gift. Sorry Rachel.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Oh good grief!! new
      #118505 - 11/03/04 11:13 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Oh my gosh. I ma so sorry to hear that! I would call the police and have them look into this right away! Good luck, I hopr they find who did it soon!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

OMG! You are all so wonderful!!! new
      #118514 - 11/03/04 11:24 AM
RachelT

Well, first thing I did was call DH! He came home immediately!

Being that he's a General Manager, he had access to use the VIN number and look up the bike in the Harley database at his old place of employment (before we moved in Sept.). It was exactly what he suspected. The bike was sold there. Actually... what he thinks happened is that they wanted to get the bike off the lot since it hadn't been sold. In order to do that, they had to make up a customer... me! (how they got my personal info is beyond me!) He doesn't understand why a title was generated though. The only thing we can think of is that the person in the title department, who just happens to be new, noticed that this bike was sold, and didn't have a title, so she unknowingly made up a title for a non-existant customer.

Of course, DH is going to make sure he's correct on all of this... but if for some reason he's wrong and some idiot associate decided to use my info to purchase their own bike, I will definatly be making phone calls, and I WON'T BE NICE!

You ladies all gave me some great advice... cross your fingers that I won't have to use any of it!

Jeesh!!! What a scare this was for me... I was shaking uncontrollably and sure enough as soon as DH walked in the door, I couldn't control the tears either. Hmmm, I think I should automatically get ownership of this damn bike, just for my troubles!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: OMG! You are all so wonderful!!! new
      #118516 - 11/03/04 11:25 AM
Sunshyne

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: San Antonio

HEHE!! YES!! demand the bike!

Do it!!! new
      #118535 - 11/03/04 11:46 AM
Nelly

Claim the bike for your troubles!!! Can you tell us what model of bike, color, etc? We'll be able to picture you cruising on it!!

~nelly~

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! new
      #118538 - 11/03/04 11:47 AM
RachelT

Yes!!! A blue and yellow Fat Boy!! All decked out too!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: OMG! You are all so wonderful!!! new
      #118544 - 11/03/04 11:55 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH.........pain and suffering big time.....DEMAND that HOG!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Cooool.... -nt- new
      #118548 - 11/03/04 12:02 PM
Nelly

~nelly~

Ha ha... this gets better! new
      #118668 - 11/03/04 03:12 PM
RachelT

Apparently Eirc's theory was right on the money. Whew!! I'm so glad. However, hehehe, legally I have the right to take the title and show up at the store, and demand posession of the bike!!! The bike is worth, drum roll... over $25,000. Hmmm, we could sure use that money! Obviously I won't take advantage of their error, but I find it kind of humorous!! You could say, I have them by the ba!!s on this one!

The plan is for me to sign the title over and they will take care of the error. What a terrible mistake they've made. They should be thanking their lucky stars that it was me that was on the receiving end of this and not someone who was more than willing to take advantage of the situation!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

WOW! 180 degree turnaround!!!! -nt- new
      #118677 - 11/03/04 03:27 PM
Nelly

Who me? new
      #118686 - 11/03/04 03:37 PM
RachelT

Well, now that I'm not feeling completely helpless and understand that it's going to be fixed, without ruining my credit, I feel a lot more comfortable about it, and I can see the humor in it. It really scared me at first... I felt completely out of control... a feeling I don't do well with.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Who me? new
      #118769 - 11/03/04 07:07 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Rachel-
Just got done reading this post! I am glad you were able to fix it! I had a scare like that a few years back. I was having sinus surgery done at U of M hospital and I called to check in and gave them my social security number. Well the lady told me that number belonged to a fifty five year old man! After much hassle it was figured out that they had his number wrong by a few numbers. But holy crap was I worried! It's too bad that we have to worry about that stuff nowadays!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1807 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6039

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review