All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
My opinion (of course). new
      #118827 - 11/04/04 04:20 AM
UrbanRain

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), Calif.

In terms of the whole gay marriage issue...

First, if it weren't natural, it wouldn't exist. There are a lot worst things to be than gay...like sociopathic or criminally insane. If I were to be stranded on a desert island rather be with a gay/lesbian than with the other two types.

Yet, this point of this post is to state what I think about gay marriage. My viewpoint (as a moderate Republican) is that the "contract," so to speak should be that of a "civil union." Somewhere between the traditional heterosexual definition of marriage and the laws of business partnerships.

I don't think a gay couple is the same as a hetero couple in that they cannot make offspring. Argue till the next millenium, but gays cannot PRODUCE babies. I'm sure, though, that they can be WONDERFUL, LOVING parents. And, gays/lesbians have much, much more at stake in the relationship than a generic, run-of-the-mill, business partnership.

That's my thoughts/opinions on the matter. And, one point of note..., while growing up, it turned out that one of my best friends was gay. Didn't know until another mutual friend told me. When I told him I knew, it was stated that it didn't make any difference. However, when he found out I was mentally ill with depression...never saw him again.

It's all relative, I guess.

Bob.

--------------------
Life is transitory, love is not!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I hate to offend anyone, but I have to stand up for what I believe in. new
      #118838 - 11/04/04 05:20 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

That must have taken a lot of courage and time to write. Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts with all of us. For the record, I agree with you on about 98% percent of what you said. The 2% I'm either indifferent to or am not convinced either way (basically I would never go out and march for gay rights, and I do agree with your comment about the deteriorating moral fiber (soluable or insoluable?) of our nation, but it's simply not something I get fired up about. If gay marriage were allowed, I probably wouldn't pack my bags and move to Canada!).
Anyway, thanks for such a cogent and well-stated opinion.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Edited by AmandaPanda (11/04/04 05:21 AM)

Gigi - God Bless You! -nt- new
      #118840 - 11/04/04 05:46 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

--------------------
~Cara~

Amen and God Bless your testimony here! -nt- new
      #118841 - 11/04/04 05:58 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: My opinion (of course). new
      #118852 - 11/04/04 07:05 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Quote:

In terms of the whole gay marriage issue...

First, if it weren't natural, it wouldn't exist

Well I just had to say IT IS NOT natural!!!! Men have a male part that goes with a female part!!!! That is natural...the other way??? HOW could that be natural????

Also...there are MANY things that aren't natural....but they do exist!!!!

Sorry Bob, just don't see how that's natural!!!

--------------------

Re: Thats right Steph -nt- new
      #118856 - 11/04/04 07:14 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Re: Election Day has come and gone.... new
      #118857 - 11/04/04 07:30 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

First let me say, I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!! I think its wonderful that you can all discuss politics without getting mean and ugly towards each other.This election has brought out the worst on both sides.People fighting and arguing on other message boards has gotten so heated! Im so happy to see that we all respect each other on here. You will all slap me for this,but, I didn't vote this year.I just didnt know which commercials or stories to believe about which candidate and im not into politics at all. I just hope and pray that things in this country change for the better soon(not placing blame anywhere here),health care is one of my biggest concerns because right now my hubby and i have no health coverage,and make too much to qualify for the state assisted health care. Anyway,,,big hugs to everyone for being so civil towards each other!! ~~~Tanya

Yes - NOT natural -nt- new
      #118858 - 11/04/04 07:32 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

--------------------
~Cara~

I am not here to judge anyone, just stating my opinion.....a little more... new
      #118861 - 11/04/04 07:45 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

THis is what "I" believe. I am a Christian, I believe in God, the Bible, and every word in it. I am not ashamed to say it for persecutions sake. I am not pushing my beliefs on anyone here or anywhere. If you want to listen thats great, if you don't thats great too. Don't be offended, I love this board too, it is the best one I have ever posted on. Everyone here has been so supportive to me in my difficult times, and I thank you all for it. I have so much love in my heart for the people here, you are all so special.

As for the seperation of Church and State, let me just say this, many of the laws being passed are hurting so many innocent people, those who choose to be married in a Heterosexual relationship are some of them. Our lawmakers should be held responsible for making laws look one way on the outside and another way deeper into the writing of it. Vote them out!!! These people are not here to help our States and our Country, many of them are here for reasons outside of the law that many of us will never see or be able to understand. Myself included.

OK. Saying that, once more, I have not written one word here to offend anyone. It is "MY" opinion as a Christian, and let me tell you, there may be many Christians who would dissagree with me and "MY" opinion. And thats OK too!

God Bless this Country and everyone serving in the Military and thier families. Also, our sweet little ones who will grow up and inherit our Country.

Re: My opinion (of course). new
      #118863 - 11/04/04 07:54 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

When we talk about natural, it can go one of two ways. We have a 'mother nature' kind of natural where, in my opinion, anything that involves an urge (that doesn't negatively effect anyone else), becomes a 'normality' in our incredible world. Once something, that is harmless to everyone else that is not involved, has enough people with that urge, it becomes 'natural'. This is where homosexuality would stand if you were of the 'mother nature' philosophy.
If you believe in God, and by God I mean a monotheistic, omnipotent power that rules over us (Christianity, Islam, Judaism) then you will base your moral judgements on the laws of your religion. Religion is extremley judgemental (because it all comes to down to judgement 'heaven and hell' at the end of the day...reward and punishment etc) - its all about a prescribed way to live. So through religious beliefs, what we believe is natural is dictated through the moral code handed down. Homosexuality is hence considered extremley wrong and sinful.
This is where it gets difficult.
Just for the record I believe in God, but not in a religious way, in a spiritual 'this is MY God' way...
Ultimately, the beauty in a democratic country is that people are FREE to make decisions about their own lives. Laws are based on many things, but what we consider to be massively antisocial behaivours are things that impose on other peoples property and space - murder, rape, robbery etc.
When acts do not involve anything or anyone apart from two consenting (or three or four!!!) adults, if we are to continue to live in a free place where everyone can practise what they wish, we cannot dictate to people, or impose upon them, beliefs and morals that they do not feel in their heart and soul.
It is important to realise, that to a homosexual person, the thought of having sex with somebody of the opposite sex is as repulsive as it is to a heterosexual to have sex with someone of the same sex. To them, it feels natural and beautiful. What would we have...a person alone and sad or a person with love in their ONLY life?
Just as wish for Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists etc to practise in peace and harmony, we want people whose life philosophies and practise are different to be able to feel as free. A harmonious society is that in which people feel they can be comfortable in their own skin, feel free to be true to themselves and have high self esteem.
Why does it effect anyone if gays are given the right to marry? It promotes the principle of monogamy and stability, which is a lot more conservative in many ways, then promiscuous behaivour by many heterosexuals!
Ultimately, what goes on between people, and the commitments they choose to make to eachother, is private. That is the beauty of the philosphy of this country. We cannot dictate something as personal as a belief in a higher power, mother nature, or God , to other human beings.
My opinion!! :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3390 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55651

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review