All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
In-laws and parents! UGH!!!!!
      #117672 - 11/01/04 07:34 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Ok this weekend was my first weekend out with my new "diet" as my family calls it. I ate safely at the mall on Friday when I got a Turkey sub and baked Lays. Saturday we had a pig roast to go to. Well I brought my chicken breast along and ate that with bread and a few baked beans. Everyone kept asking me about my diet and even though the host was trying to be supportive, I felt like screaming " I don't need to be treated with any special treatment!" Then on Sunday my mother-in-law invites us over for an early dinner. My DH tells her to make chicken and stay away from any vegetables like cauliflower and broccali. Well she makes baked chicken with butter and lots of spices, mashed potaoes with milk and butter and corn!!!!!!!!!! She says to me you can eat this right honey? Yeah sure. So I ate a tiny bit with my father-in-law looking at me like I was nuts. Finally at my parents house my mom at least called me the day before and made me spaghetti with light ragui and had fresh bread. I brought my own pumpkin pie. But still she kept asking me can you eat this and oh Angela can't eat this because of her "special diet". I could have screamed a few times. I told my DH that I can only guess what the holidays will be like. I am making sure I make and bring plenty of goodies with me. How do you tell family members with good intentions that this is not a special diet but a way of life? UGH! On top of that I did sneak a tiny piece of chocolate and am suffering today for it! Just had to vent a bit! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

HUGS!!!!!! new
      #117676 - 11/01/04 07:59 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Yep it can be hard with family!!! I also get real tired of the can you eat this question. I just say that I will eat what I can and thank you for trying!! Some of my family is more supportive than other's in my family!!!! It will get easier after you have been doing it awhile and they get used to it. My mom and Cousin have visted this site and read all about it and the diet and are very understanding. When my cousin was here last weekend I ate badley!! She kept saying you don't have to eat like this because of me!! I can eat like you and then nobody will be in pain!! I love her!! I still did my self in but you know it happens!!!
I hope things get better soon!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

I feel for ya! new
      #117710 - 11/01/04 09:59 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
Poor you, I know exactly how you feel! I think everybody kinda goes through it, to some degree but you must have felt so frustrated. I don't know why people don't get that maybe you don't WANT to talk about your diet - it seems perfectly natural to me! Like, "No.. no, I can't eat that.. unless you don't mind me in your bathroom all night long. Let me give you all the gory details of my tummy troubles..." I think it can especially sticky with family or in-laws 'cause you really have to keep your cool so you don't make things even worse for yourself by having a temper tantrum or something. I know with my in-laws I spend a lot of time gritting my teeth because they are constantly harassing me about food and it does make me feel embarassed and uncomfortable.
*sigh* If only everyone would understand, eh? At least you are in the comfort of your own home now (aren't you? I hope so!) and you don't have to answer to anyone if all you want to eat is rice and chicken or whatever you fancy!
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Argh new
      #117714 - 11/01/04 10:11 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

It's annoying, isn't it? I have been eating this way since Easter, and my family *still* doesn't get the hang of things. Atleast with my parents, I don't have to worry about insulting them, but going over to my BF's house to eat can be a nightmare. I always wind up eating something I can't to not hurt his mom's feelings. I explained to her what I can/can't eat, but she understands that I can't eat an egg, but doesn't understand that I can't eat a cake with egg in it. And they are Italian, so they get insulted if you turn something down! My family it is considered ladylike to turn down food.
I already told my BF that I just can't wait to see how awkward Thanksgiving is, especially cause I have since become a vegetarian. He says he will tell them, but I am alreayd prepared for disaster!

just hang in there, hopefully people will catch on after awhile!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: In-laws and parents! UGH!!!!! new
      #117724 - 11/01/04 10:22 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

I know so well.. its why I'm having issues... my MIL is so sweet.. and her hubby MADE spaghetti sauce and nuked me potatos and broiled me 2 chicken breasts the last time we ate there (everyone else had lasagna, I had the sauce with the chickena nd potatoes, but there was MSG in the sauce.. had my SIL eaten there she'd have wound up in the ER! she's anaphalactically allergic to the MSG- Bill's brothers wife.... triggered a monster migraine in me.

Otherwise- his dad just meets us out and lets us chose where- or tries to cook but asks me for specifics on the menu- always has though because I've never been able ot handle the fried meals he typically serves...

My family does the go out for Sushi thing- its one EVERYONE's diets at all times.... strange with mom having Crohns, Michelle having Celiacs, me, and Tali and nyla being allergic to dairy (anaphalactically so)

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: In-laws and parents! UGH!!!!! new
      #117744 - 11/01/04 11:05 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You need to tell them your diet is not by choice and not for vanity. I like to say things like, "I wish I could eat this cheesy dish but my stomach has other ideas." Use the word "tolerate" a lot. No one would make someone lactose intolerant eat cream and cheese.
I hate feeling weird and different too but you have to be firm. People end up feeling sorry for you instead of thinking you are weird but then when they start pitying me for not being able to eat the giant ice cream dessert with fried snickers bars I say I have lost 15 lbs on this diet and so it has been wonderful for me. I also have had to tell certain people over and over of the good stuff I can eat (I have told my sister-in-law at least 3 times that I can eat the brownies I always make) and they feel like I am on some restrictive nazi diet but at least they know it is because I cannot 'tolerate' certain foods and not because I am crazy or vain. I hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks for the support new
      #117752 - 11/01/04 11:21 AM
Angela E.

I can't tell you how good it feels to share my feelings with friends that understand. I feel much better now and I know that I need to be firm with my family about this. Thanks to all of you for your support! LOL

eating issues and family new
      #117756 - 11/01/04 11:27 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

has anyone ever seen a book about family stuff and our eating habits? I saw the author on the Today show years ago and she had excellent points that I haven't forgotten about how our families make eating such a strange big deal. The way food becomes a reward when it should just be food and the way we feel bad to turn stuff down even if we don't want to eat it. It was mind-opening. has anyone seen this book?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: eating issues and family new
      #117759 - 11/01/04 11:28 AM
Angela E.

No but I would be interested in reading it!

HA HAHA AHHAHAAAA...! new
      #117827 - 11/01/04 03:17 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

ROFL! You've described EXACTLY what I go thru when I eat at relatives! Including when a couple of the hosts go in the kitchen and whisper and come out with this one dish, looking at *you* and they both start saying at the same time: Oh, can you have this? What in this can't you have? It has mushrooms. Are mushrooms oK? We weren't sure, so there's one without mushrooms too over there only for you.

Mushrooms?? you think. Pretty random considering the whole thing's covered in cheese...!

Then I have to sheepishly say, NO REALLY IT'S OK I can eat the stupid sequestered, lonely, small, dried out Sick Girl's dish WITHOUT the mushrooms (RANDOM!), then realizing it was cos I mentioned ONCE in passing that sauteed mushrooms have *tons* of butter, so I avoid them at all costs.

This is the sound of people mising the point!

It's sooo embarrasing to be put up for public social review. And they wonder why *WE* just can't relax!!

How about this scenerio instead: I picture a nice meal, eating with you Angela, and like 8 other people on this board, with Heather V. coming out of the kitchen with this big chef's hat and alllll of our favorites. And there's plenty of waer, and a beautiful candy dish of immodium on the table, and everybody happy and NOT talking about food!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the long post. I'm sorry you had to go through that scenerio alone. I was with you in spirit, tho!!!

All my best,

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1652 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1082

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review