All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Does your username have meaning?
      #116688 - 10/28/04 11:09 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Okay, since everyone is talking about whether or not pics really look like you or if someone on the boards reminds you of someone else. I was wondering about some of the unique usernames that are on these boards. Does your username have a meaning or story behind it?

I'll go first, my username is Tissy. My brother is 4 years younger than me and when we were younger he couldn't say Christie, when he tried it came out Tissy. The nickname kinda stuck, just in the family, until he could pronounce my name right. And my father has used that as a nickname for me ever since. He is the only one that still calls me Tissy.

So what's the story behind your usernames?

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does your username have meaning? new
      #116690 - 10/28/04 11:12 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

When I was setting my first email address up while I was in high school, I was going to use melita which is my first name (Melissa) in Greek, but someone had already used it. So I decided to use melitami, which is melita (a)m i. It's my username/email for so many things now, to the point that some people who I know both in real life and online call me melitami as opposed to my real name.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#116702 - 10/28/04 11:30 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Mine is my "business name", such as it is. I was thinking I wanted to start a vintage-clothing business, and I was trying to think of a good name, and "Atomic Rose" just popped into my head. It makes no sense whatsoever, but I liked it, and I decided that's what I'd go with. I've pretty much decided not to start the business after all. Now I just use it as my screenname when I sign up for things, because I still like it!

#116707 - 10/28/04 11:36 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

well, my little brother, who is now 22 (I am 25) started calling me Daliatree years ago. My name is Dalia! It all started with me being a very environmentally consious teenager and I loved and still love trees. I find them so peaceful and watchful...I especially LOVE ancient trees, or huge ones. So Leon (my brother) started to call me Daliatree.
I first used it on the first website chatrooms I ever joined (this IBS one is the second!) - The Lonely Planet Thorn Tree - the BEST travel/backpacking site EVER...two years ago when I was planning my round the world trip. I met my husband on that site (he became my travel buddy)...so the name is good luck to me. May it help me rid my life of IBS. Amen!!!! hahahhaha

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#116709 - 10/28/04 11:38 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Well 74 is my hubby birth year and 76 is mine!! My mom used to call me FRED. My whole life she raley called me anything else!! Don't ask why i don't know!! Then she met my step dad has started calling me heather. Why you ask. His name is Fred!!! He signs all my cards love dad (fred 2). Just though I would share my nickname story!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#116712 - 10/28/04 11:43 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Not really. Jennifer is my first name and Rose is my middle name.

My old user name was one that I've used for years. My ex boyfriend used to call me angel and my middle name is rose, but often times angelroses was taken so I changed the e to a y and viola!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#116714 - 10/28/04 11:58 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Mine is not as creative as all of yours!
The 4503 is our wedding date - April 5, 2003.
Cara is my nickname - Carolyn is my real name. I had a best friend named Sara Lynn in high school, so people starting calling me Cara Lynn, Cara just stuck. The only people who still call me Carolyn are my parents and my little brother Bolina. His real name is Tommy but I call him Bolina (Tom-bolina).
My sister calls me Linea - (Caro-Linea). My family is weird :P

--------------------
~Cara~

#116717 - 10/28/04 12:11 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Mine is pretty basic..

... Sheri + 01 (as in 2001, the year I became and IBSer)

I am not creative in coming up with user names!

My other username I use for things is EmusAreEvil309 (AIM sign-on, if anyone wants to add me to their buddylist ), but I try not to use that too much, cause now I have grown up alittle and think it is mean and discrminatory, I mean what reason do I have to claim that Emus ARE evil, anyways? Except one bit me before, but that was my fault for going to a confined animal safari, animals really shouldn't be caged up or kept in captivity.

Hmmm.... maybe I will start a new one centered around my new found love for zombies....

--------------------
-Sheri

Dalia new
      #116719 - 10/28/04 12:13 PM
Sheri01

That is such a pretty name, do you say it "dah lee AH" or "Dale ee ah" ?

--------------------
-Sheri

#116722 - 10/28/04 12:18 PM
Shane_Marr

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Seattle, WA

Just my name------

#116731 - 10/28/04 12:57 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Cool -- are you Greek?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#116732 - 10/28/04 01:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

When I joined IBS group.org I had to come up with something and I tried to find something clever but everything I tried didn't work since I was having technical problems finally I tried Little Minnie which was my skinny stripey cat I had when I was a teenager. I don't like it that much but I figure I'll just leave it. Oh - she was sickly and died. poor thing.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#116733 - 10/28/04 01:04 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

My older cousins have always called me AmandaPanda, Panderoo, Panderbeth (Beth being my middle name), Manderbeth ... there are a million nicknames. There are some other really weird family nicknames that are just too complicated to explain here, so I'll skip them. One cute thing is that for my whole life, whenever my dad calls me ManderBeth, I call him DaddyBeth. We are silly like that. I tried to shake Panda in my teens, but then when my cousins had babies and they started calling me Auntie Panda, well, it became the cutest thing ever so I liked it again. My dad has called me Pumpkin or Bethiepoo forever (not so dignified for a lawyer-to-be!), and my mom doesn't really call me any nicknames besides sweetie. My brothers call me Panda, or Manda, or sometimes just by random names (they are fond of Jamal, and we don't know why). My bf usually calles me babe or sweetie, but sometimes calles me Mandabear (Like pandabear) when he is being cute. Well he's always cute, in my opinion .
I've noticed lately that I so rarely hear my own name -- how often do you and your family / friends address each other by name? I usually just start talking and assume the person realizes I'm addressing them. Anyway sometimes it's so nice to hear someone I love speak my name. Don't know why, I just like it, like a song ...

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

little minnie new
      #116751 - 10/28/04 01:29 PM
Sunshyne

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: San Antonio

HAHA... thought it was your sn because you look like Minnie Driver and maybe you are short...

#116756 - 10/28/04 01:40 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

mul132 is my school id for e-mail and computer access. I use it so much for school, that I just continue to use it for other stuff cause I can only remember so many different usernames and passwords before I forget something and get locked out of some important internet files . The m and l stand for my first and last names, my middle initial is actually e, but all the mel numbers were taken by the time I enrolled so I got stuck with you, and the 132 means I'm the 132nd person to have mul as the first part of my University login. I know, really boring.

Meg

#116758 - 10/28/04 01:51 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Mine is Spicey because my friends in highschool thought I was spicey (as in personality).. so it just stuck and its what i've had since I was 16ish. haha plus it was during the time when spice girls were big.. so they only added to the nickname. I should change it 7 years later.. buts it's stuck..

--------------------

Re: little minnie new
      #116760 - 10/28/04 02:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

I am short! DH calls me 'little, little, little' or 'monkey' which I hate!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#116763 - 10/28/04 02:16 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Mine is lame. Cailin (pronounced Coll-een) is the Gaelic word for Girl. I was going to be cailin breoite (broe-tsha) which means "sick girl" but I went against it as it was pessimistic and just left it as Cailin. I was very sick and need to sign up in a hurry so the inspiration had left me!

And while we are at it...do you know how to pronounce my real name? For those of you who have not heard of Sinead O'Connor (former rock singer, she tore up a picture of the pope on Saturday Night Live)

Anyway...its SHIN-ADE (Shin like your leg, aid like Koolaid!)

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#116768 - 10/28/04 02:38 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04

Wow! I was pronouning it "Kay-Lynn"! Boy was I wrong!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#116808 - 10/28/04 03:50 PM
Lil' Bell

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: South Dakota, USA

Lil' Bell is the nickname my SIL gave me. Bell is my maiden name, I am only about 5' tall, and she is 5'9" at least! My other nicknames have included: Tinkerbell (and variations of) since i am not only short, but also blonde, and my DH calls me Bellarina when he is in a really good mood. My faminly calls me CeCe, as my brother couldn't pronounce my name for ever either!

Teresa

Mine is just my name... new
      #116810 - 10/28/04 03:52 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#116816 - 10/28/04 04:07 PM
Sunshyne

Mine is my name

Kaylinn sounds better! n/t new
      #116820 - 10/28/04 04:11 PM
cailin

--------------------
S.

#116826 - 10/28/04 04:22 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Since my name is Lisa and I'm little, 5 foot and 95lbs people seemed to think the two just go together, Little Lisa. It has a lot more meaning to me now since one of my good friends passed away a year ago from breast cancer. She never called me anything but Little Lisa.
Almost considered getting a personalized license plate saying Lil Lis but my husband would probably object since he drives my car sometimes. I told him "Princess" would be worse

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#116845 - 10/28/04 04:56 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Slick is actually b/f's nickname, and so I'm now slick's girl ... I don't usually do much w/screen names, and all my nicknames are too sickening-cute My dad and his best friend always called me Amburgurler, Amboo, etc. Oh, and Booger, but I don't really enjoy that one either! Actually, I guess they still call me that ... I wonder why??

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#116851 - 10/28/04 05:13 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Haha, me too. I had a friend a few years ago who was Irish, you'd think I'd have known better, but no.

I got Sinead right, though!

Re: Dalia new
      #116881 - 10/28/04 05:58 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Thank you very much...its the dahlia flower in hebrew...my Daddy chose it.
Its pronounced Dahl-ya so not so much of the dal-ee-ah, but just a tiny bit of the 'ee' before the ah!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#116909 - 10/28/04 07:46 PM
Sheri01

Your name is Sunshyne? That is so pretty! And original.

--------------------
-Sheri

#116910 - 10/28/04 08:03 PM
Sunshyne

Thanks! It was originally going to be Barbara Jean after my grandma... I loved my grandma but... that is SOOO not me!

Yep! new
      #116913 - 10/28/04 08:35 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Mine is so dumb When I was in grade eight my parents got me my own internet connection on my computer for Christmas. My Dad had it all hooked up for me so he decided my email address and all of that. He decided to combine the first part of my middle name (Victoria) with the first part of my last name (Cameron) and that's how he got Vicam. I thought it sounded really silly, but it's worked out well for me...it's hardly ever taken so I don't have to think up a bunch of numbers to put after it when signing up for things!

Kelly

Yep, Sara is my cat... new
      #117062 - 10/29/04 01:00 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Who I sometimes call Sara Sage.

My real name is Tina...actually it's Christina but that was too long for some people so it became Tina.

yes it does.... new
      #117206 - 10/30/04 06:41 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

before we had to give up all the kitties for DH's home... our baby was Khyri... we also had SNowy and Willow.. but Khyri was neat and dear to my heart as the playful kitten... Snowy was my pappa cat.. he was parental to both the younger girls and loves to sit on the back of the couch and groom everyone's hair.. we kept him when we gave up the girls until he died of old age.. poor boy....

but Khyri was my kitten...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#117209 - 10/30/04 06:59 AM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I wish I had a better story, but the honest truth of the matter is that when I first came onto the boards I didn't want to use my real name but needed something, and while I was looking around for inspiration I saw a book I owned on the bookshelf by John Ralston Saul. So I went with it.

Amie- pronunciation? new
      #117286 - 10/30/04 11:23 AM
cailin

How do you pronounce "Khyri"

Is it "Kyre-ee" ?
or "Kir-ee"
or something else?

--------------------
S.

Re: Amie- pronunciation? new
      #117319 - 10/30/04 01:38 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

kee-ri... and my name is Ah-mee

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Amie- pronunciation? new
      #117321 - 10/30/04 01:42 PM
cailin

Ah-mee, pronounced like amish? I just figured it was amie like jamie
Since you lived in Europe mine is probably not a problem for you!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#117363 - 10/30/04 05:33 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

The username I have now is just my first name and first letter of my last name. When I first signed on, my username was MsMizzle, a nickname one of my students had given me when Snoop Dogg had that show on MTV (Doggy Fizzle Televizzle). I thought it was kind of funny, but then everyone was calling me "Mizzle," which I wasn't crazy about.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Of course new
      #117543 - 10/31/04 01:50 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I chose Beaglelover since we have 2 beagles and I volunteer with a beagle rescue society. (Actually, we've had 3 beagles. One passed away last year.) After his passing, we adopted Mulligan, named by my husband, a golfer, who thought that would be appropriate for a dog being given a new beginning. (a mulligan in golf means "to do over.")

Then we took in little Bitsy (a petite beagle half Mulligan's size) as a foster dog for the rescue. She was only supposed to stay until they found her a new home. Well....

She obviously had had a bad puppyhood. She was terrified of everything (including all people and all noises.) Her little body shook all over. She spent most of the day hiding under our bed. We would drag her out and hold her, stroking her as we watched tv every night.

Then, a miracle occurred. We noticed her watching Mulligan and imitating him. If he went up to strangers, she would follow his lead. If he let kids pet him, she would too. And at night, we would find them all curled up together, sound asleep.

As her confidence increased, we began to see her personality---and boy was it cute! She prisses around the house now like she's the queen bee. The little beagle who was afraid of my teenage boys now climbs up their chests and rolls over, pleading for a belly rub. It is hilarious!!!

As she was making progress, several people called to ask about adopting her. But after spending months getting her used to our household, we just couldn't part with her. And she was attached to her "big brother," Mulligan, like a magnet.

And of course, I had fallen in love with her too! The day I saw her lying on her side with her paws crossed and a big smile on her face, I knew she was finally at peace---and I couldn't tear her away from the one place where she felt at home. So we adopted her and made our house her home.

So that's me---the woman who "failed" at fostering, but gained a sweetheart of a companion. I'm known in our subdivision as "the beagle lady." I have a beagle flag on my mailbox. When I walk the dogs (they look like Mutt and Jeff), everyone ooh's and ahh's over them and asks where we got them. Now you know their story---and I little more about me.

(I'd love to post a photo of them, but can't figure out how. Can I send it to someone else to post?)

#117638 - 10/31/04 11:28 PM
oliver1014

Reged: 06/12/04

Oliver was the name of our six year cocker spaniel that we had to put down earlier this summer. He was my baby. The 1014 is October 14th, the day my husband and I started dating eight years ago!

It's my name (kinda)... new
      #117643 - 11/01/04 12:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...my name is Lindsey, but everyone calls me Linz after they've known me a little while.

#117660 - 11/01/04 05:40 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Its my name and the year I was born.

--------------------

Re: Of course new
      #117683 - 11/01/04 08:44 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Beaglelover.. you can send the photo to me and I'll post it for you. Just email me at sweetpea982@sbcglobal.net.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1928 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4841

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review