All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I need a little advice - headaches/migraines
      #115400 - 10/24/04 02:32 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Thankfully, this isn't about me... but I'm going crazy here, and I know there's nothing I can really do about it, so I just want to try to manage the situation the best I can.

My boyfriend gets these insanely horrific headaches. Sometimes they make him nauseous, sometimes they make him dizzy, but usually they're just bad headaches that won't go away. He routinely pops 5 Advil or more at a time, and they don't even touch the pain.

He called in to work today, and slept until 5pm. He would have slept longer but I just wasn't having that, so I woke him up to at least eat something and take some more Advil. Yup, he still has the headache, and he says he's so exhausted that he's too tired to even chew (his reason for not wanting toast with his eggs). I told him - like I've said so many times - that he really needs to go to a doctor, and he just looks at me, and that's the part that's driving me crazy. We've been having this "battle" since I moved in with him 13 months ago. He simply won't go to a doctor.

So. Those of you experienced with migraines and such, does this sound like migraines? Even if it doesn't, does anyone have some "home remedy" sorts of things that might help a headache, since it's obvious that Advil and sleep don't work?

I know I just sound frustrated, but I'm really worried. I wish he'd just go to the damn doctor already. Men, I don't know.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need a little advice - headaches/migraines new
      #115419 - 10/24/04 03:36 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hey Casey!

It sounds like a migraine to me but I don't get them myself. If not a migraine, something that should definitely be talked over with a doctor. If he had to miss work and if 5 Advil's do nothing, it could be serious. He doesn't have face/jaw pain with it, does he?

Looks like you'll have to force him to go.

I made my BF go to the doctor last month because his terrible cold and cough didn't go away. It turned out it was a chest infection that he needed antibiotics and an inhaler for. He was so glad that I made him go as it wouldn't have cleared up on its own.

Good luck with your typical stubborn guy!

#115429 - 10/24/04 04:22 PM
Lil' Bell

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: South Dakota, USA

It depends on how often he gets them. Women tend to be more suseptible to migrains, due to the hormonal thing. This does NOT mean that it isn't a migraine though. If he is getting them for several days in a row, they could be cluster headaches. These can be much worse fom what I have experienced. My DH used to get them every fall for 1-2 months, and he would lose weight, nothing would help the pain, and he would be nauseous. A dark room would help, as would sleep, but they just didn't disipate like other headaches would. We even ended up in the ER a few times, and all they could do was IV's and Oxegyn. Eventually we had Oxegyn tanks at home so that we didn't have to pay for the ER every other day.

My DH was very reluctant to go to the Dr. as well, so keep at yours. Mine said that there was nothing wrong, and he would deal with it.....finally his mom talked him into going....

Good luck on getting him to go. Maybe if he knows how concerned and (scared?) you are, he will humor you. If it is migraines, there are some meds that help a ton. I ended up on a tranquilizer, as that is all that worked for me. My MIL uses Imitrix, and SIL uses something else.

Hope some of this was semi-helpful for you!

#115454 - 10/24/04 06:58 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Poor guy.
My husband gets really bad migraines like that. He has to go into our room in pitch black and lay there for a long time w/NO noise. He takes Advil Migraine - regular advil wouldn't do a thing to help it. Now there's Excedrin Migraine too.
A girl I work with gets migraines - and this sounds dumb (and the BF would definataly laugh at it), but she puts straight progestrone cream on her temples and behind her neck, lays down and it's gone in 10 minutes! I just ordered some to try it on Justin next time, if he'll let me put a female hormone on his temples - lol.

--------------------
~Cara~

#115489 - 10/24/04 08:41 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Hey Casey~ How is b/f now? Hopefully feeling better.

I don't have any advice about the headaches but maybe some about stubborn b/f. Mine is the same way. He won't make an appt ... BUT if some one makes it for him, we can get him to go in. Maybe you can do this, and tell b/f that if he misses the appt, he'll still have to pay for it (tell him less than 24hr in advance or something, to make it plausible).

Let him know that things like Advil can be really bad for the lining of the stomach if taken all the time. My docs got on my case about that when I OD'd ... So if he keeps this up, not only will he have severe headaches, but ALSO severe stomach aches too!

I agree with the idea of telling him how scared and upset you are about this, that you're afraid it could be something serious. Get teary-eyed and let him know how much your future together means to you. His pain doesn't just hurt him!

And if all else fails, desperate times call for desperate measures. Don't baby him when he is in pain. Tell him that you don't want to hear about it. If he isn't going to make the effort at least to get better, then what are you supposed to do for him? It might be hard to seem so mean, but G-d helps those who help themselves, so are you supposed to do more? Hopefully something will snap him out of the stubborness.

Feel better, hon, and good luck with this.

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Thanks everyone! new
      #115502 - 10/24/04 09:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Y'all rock.

He's not doing any better, as far as I can tell. He did eat and take more Advil, but he was back in bed at 7:30 and he's been asleep ever since. I didn't even sleep that much when I had mono.

I brought up seeing a doctor again, and he yes'd me to death. Tomorrow I'll bring it up again, and if he doesn't call, I'll either call for him, or I'll tell him I just don't want to hear about it anymore - depending how the mood takes me.

This is about more than just the headaches, unfortunately. He has IBS symptoms that he's never gotten checked out. He has a bad knee that he's been complaining about nonstop since we moved here. He's also got high blood pressure that he *was* medicated for - his prescription ran out, he was supposed to have a follow-up with the doctor, and he never made the appointment. I don't even trust him to actually tell the doctor EVERYTHING that's wrong with him. I seriously feel like I'm becoming the guy's MOTHER, and it's driving me up a freaking WALL.

Oy... I didn't mean to keep ranting... argh!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 760 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review