Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Laser eye surgery??
      #114312 - 10/20/04 09:40 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hello all,
My boyfriend has to have laser eye surgery to have the eye-sight he needs to work for the police in Vancouver.
He is getting really anxious about it and we don't know a whole lot about it. We saw it done on TV, but it was a really rich celeb person so I wanna know what it's like for us 'real people'!
If anybody has done it, let me know how it was so I can either reassure him and keep quiet depending on what you say! Just kidding.
Cheers,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

haven't had it done myself, but.... new
      #114318 - 10/20/04 09:49 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

my uncle has, and I have not heard of any comlaints or complications from him. I think his eyes were sore for quite a few days, but that is to be expected, right? A woman that I work with was gonna get it done for her 50th birthday, but at her consultation they wound up dening her, I think it was because she has something going on in her eyes where she will develop cataracts eventually, or something like that if that sounds right.
has your BF had the consultation yet?
I am sure if he goes to a reputable doctor, he will have nothing to worry about.
Good luck to him! Just think, if we were from another generation he would have had to given up the job oppurtunity, it is so exciting to be alive and young right now with all of the new technology available, and better yet, AFFORDABLE.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: haven't had it done myself, but.... new
      #114321 - 10/20/04 09:53 AM
Stephie

Hey Sheri,
Thanks for the reply! My aunt has had it done, but I really can't remember what she said about it 'cause she had it ages ago, when it was first out sorta thing.
Oy, I am hoping it's affordable! I am kinda worried 'cause he'll have to have it done BEFORE he gets the job, after we move back to Canada so it might be a while before we have a good income (I am going back to Uni) so it better not bankrupt us!
I'm sure it'll be fine, it must be or so many people wouldn't be having it done.. Still, he is a man, so of course he will be a big old baby about the whole thing.. tee hee.

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: haven't had it done myself, but.... new
      #114323 - 10/20/04 09:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I work for an optometrist. We don't do the surgery but I know a lot about it. I don't know if the procedure would be different because you're in a different country though! If he is real nervous, tell the dr and a lot of time they will give him a valium or Xanax to keep him calm. The procedure itself doesn't hurt. He will probably have to sleep with metal shields over his eyes for a night or two to be sure he doesn't rub them in his sleep. They will probably be a bit sore for a day or two also, but nothing real serious. He may be a little more light sensative for a while and some people have problems with night glare afterwards. Overall, its a oretty safe procedure, I don't think anyone has ever died from it! The majority of people do great. He may end up having to use reading glasses still when he gets older. Just be sure he follows the post op instructions, he will probably be rechecked the day after to be sure things are healing well. Tell him to relax! Its really not that big of a deal!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Laser eye surgery?? new
      #114324 - 10/20/04 09:58 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Steph
First off let me I am so happy that you are feeling better!!! YEAH!!!!
I used to work in an eye doctor office! We saw lots of people with laser eyer surgery!! It is not realy that big of deal!! He will have to wear these google type thing for a little while other than that no biggie!!! Tell him he'll love not having to deal with glasses or contacs anymore!!
Good luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Thanks Michele! new
      #114327 - 10/20/04 10:01 AM
Stephie

I will tell him all of that, I knew somebody on here would know!
Thanks again, I hope you're doing well!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Michele? new
      #114336 - 10/20/04 10:06 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

If you don't mind me asking who do you work for??? I used to be an optician for Pearl Vision. I stopped working when I got pregnant with Kenna. I was just wondering!!

--------------------
Heather7476

My son had laser eye surgery new
      #114466 - 10/20/04 05:45 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

Hi Unhappy tummy...last October, My son (he was 21 then) had the corrective vision surgery. There were no problems what-so-ever. He did his follow up eye doctor visits and now has 20/20 vision...for the first few months he had 20/25 in one eye, but that improved with long term healing. He said night vision was a bit tricky for several months, but that too improved with time. bf will have to put liquid "tears" in his eyes for quite some time and possibly for the rest of his life, but that's a small price to pay for perfect vision. He had the surgery at the same place that "Tiger Woods", the famous golf player had his surgery at here in NJ....Surgery took just a few minutes in each eye, while the patient is awake and you can watch the surgery on a TV screen-I watched, although I was nervous. THe patient's eyes are numbed & doenst feel a thing. After the surgery, he'll have to rest for a while, there may be some aching in his eyes, but that too subsides quickly. He'll have to wear these wraparound sunglasses everytime he goes outside for a week-just to prevent anything from blowing into them...there is some post-op care, but again, a small price to pay for perfect vision. Goodl luck to him, he will be very happy soon, and I will be happy to answer any more questions! LZ

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

cost of laser eye surgery.. new
      #114768 - 10/21/04 05:49 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

last year it cost us $5500 which included follow up care for a year & if he wants the guarantee for no cost repeat surgery if his vision get worse over the years, he will have to religiously go to his after care appointments & keep the records.

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

#114770 - 10/21/04 05:53 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'd do it if I was a candidate, but last I checked my bifocals ruled me out completely.. my sis in law did it when she was pregnant the first time so she wouldn't have to worry abotu babies and glasses...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#114844 - 10/22/04 05:44 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

My husband had this done 1 year ago and he is thrilled with the results. He couldn't see the alarm clock and now he has great vision. The only thing he experiences is a halo effect at night with headlights or if he is in a gym watching a b-ball game. He could get certain glasses to help with this but he hasn't.

Angela E.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 772 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review