All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
December 6, 2004 (this day will live in infamy)
      #114224 - 10/19/04 08:05 PM
UrbanRain

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), Calif.

Saw my doc, today. Still hasn't address my IBS issues, yet. However, I told him I'm quitting the "mental health trinity" of coffee (well not completely), sodas (completely) and cigarettes (this one's going to hurt!).

He said to pick a "quit day" and he'll put me on a program. Hey, Nicotine has been my mistress for almost twenty-five years. So, this is probably going to be a very tough one. However, I had a leukemia scare recently... My white blood cell count was going very high & a young, inexperienced doc said that there were signs of leukemia in my blood. He also said not to worry!!! Geesh, how can one not worry when hearing something like that!?!

-got very depressed and dropped all my classes at college. Well, I did some research on the four main types of leukemia. One can be contracted from the benzene in cigarettes. Considering I'm a heavy smoker (albeit a very physically active cigarette smoker), I either had the horrid thing or could get it...

The point of this post is that I HAVE to quit, now. This was my wake up call. Just like in my early twenties having to deal with worsening psychiatric symptoms, this time nicotine addiction isn't an option.

I'm going to enjoy them while I've got them cause come December 6th, it's do or die. Literally.

I'll try to keep you folks posted as this progresses as this kind of support and validation is a welcome, and sorely missed part of my recovery.

Thank you all who have read my posts & God Bless.

Robert "Bob" Mogill

--------------------
Life is transitory, love is not!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: December 6, 2004 (this day will live in infamy) new
      #114237 - 10/19/04 09:20 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Good for you! Those are some tough goals, but you'll feel so much better when you achieve them! Please be sure to let us all know how everything goes, and remember we'll be here for support.

Shame on that doc who scared you! I'm glad that you've got a doc now that's willing to go to bat for you. Good luck to you! I wish you all the best, and more importantly, success!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#114241 - 10/19/04 09:46 PM
UrbanRain

-bought a book by the American Lung Association called "The 7-Steps to a Smoke Free Life."

I'm reading, no studying it; like it's a sacred work.

Thank you for your reply.

--------------------

#114263 - 10/20/04 04:33 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Robert
Good Luck!!! I know you can do this!!! It will be hard but you will be better for it!!! Keep us posted on how you are doing!!!!!
Good Luck!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

I managed to give up coffee in three weeks with no headahce! new
      #114266 - 10/20/04 04:41 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I was drinking 2-3 cups of coffee every morning for 12 or more years. I enjoy the taste of coffee and the quiet time I had every morning with it. It was very comforting to sit alone...just me and my coffee.

I cut my coffee consumption to one 11 oz cup a day for two weeks and then went to one 8 oz cup per day for a week. I was going to go to 4 oz cup for a week and realized how silly it was to brew 4 oz of coffee and simply quit.

There was some fatigue but not much...I one non-caffeine withdrawal related headache. I don't know that I would give up all three at the same time. You might want to start with coffee. I drink herbal tea now...STASH brand. They have a ton of wonderful flavors and with a packet of stevia-plus to sweeten, my "C" is a thing of the past!

#114349 - 10/20/04 11:27 AM
Lil' Bell

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: South Dakota, USA

I smoked for 10 years before I quit....Good for you. You will feel much better, and you can't imagine how good things taste! (well-most of them!)

I think what most people have the hardest time with is the hand to mouth action. If this is an issue for you, I recommend chewing on cinnamon sticks. Sounds weird I know- but that is what kept me from digressing.

Good luck and remember we are here for support!

I remember quiting smoking for IBS new
      #114463 - 10/20/04 05:33 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

ah yes....quitting smoking....I remember my doctor telling me that smoking is bad for IBS...so 4 years ago, after 29 years of smoking, I gave it up. Cold Turkey...I had been hospitalized for a severe IBS attack-hadnt had cigerettes for 3 days while in the hospital...so....I did it! Good luck to you-quitting smoking isn't easy, but will be the single best thing you could ever do for your body other than hitting the lottery! Give a yell if ya need some shoulders to moan on...and luck to you with the leukemia thing..that is pretty scary...perhaps the young doctor is a little inexperienced in the field or misinterpreted the test results...keep the fingers crossed and the prayers coming....LZ

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Thank you all for your support. new
      #114535 - 10/20/04 11:07 PM
UrbanRain

Actually, I'm looking forward to being a nonsmoker. It has such control over my life that I'm sure that in a short while after quitting, it won't be missed.

As for the coffee, my IBS is moderate & stress induced. Therefore, I can tolerate a cup or two of coffee a day. -used to drink the stuff like water. -over ten cups a day. Now, it's almost all decaf & my bloating and vomiting has subsided considerably. You see, I'm "low income" on disability & pleasures have to be inexpensive. Besides, I believe in the concept of moderation. However, for the smoking, I know that must be cut out completely.

The sharing of experiences on the website is priceless... Thank you for taking the time to read my posts. Sometimes, all we need is to be heard.

God Bless.

--------------------

Wow!!! new
      #114601 - 10/21/04 09:08 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Good for you Bob!! You sound very determined, so I'm anxious to see how things go for you.

I smoked a pack a day for 10 years, so I can relate. I finally quit cold-turkey and I just celebrated my 10 year anniversary of being a non-smoker in May.

Good luck... I know you can do it!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review