All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any Homeschoolers here?
      #114104 - 10/19/04 01:03 PM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

We started homeschooling this year with my 5 year old!!! It's been so wonderful and I just can't imagine how I would cope with getting up at the crack of dawn to get her on a school bus. I, like many others, have some really bad IBS kind of mornings. I do so much better when I can sit for a while in the morning before we start our day. We studied a little about Egypt today because Emma's picked up this interest in Egypt! We made pita bread (mmmmmmmmmm) because Egyptians make a very similar bread. I love education through cooking!!! The best part is that everything we do is on our schedule. We can do dance and Daisy Scouts during the day so it doesn't interfere with meals. We go to the movies as a family during the week when it isn't crowded because the girls don't have to go to bed so early. I know a lot of people that homeschool for religious reasons but for us, it's just an easier schedule!!! Just thought I would share this wonderful blessing with everyone.
Rena

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any Homeschoolers here? new
      #114526 - 10/20/04 09:50 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Hi Rena!
I homeschool my youngest child. I started when he was in 2nd grade and he's in 7th grade now. I love it, too! We started homeschooling because our son was having so much trouble in public school. He was spending more and more time trying to catch up with the other kids and was becoming depressed and losing his personality.
Some days we'd pick him up from school and he'd be crying in class because of the pressure from the teacher. We just couldn't watch him suffer like that anymore.
I'm very glad we homeschool him. It's been a blessing in our lives too!
Terri

#114739 - 10/21/04 04:42 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

We did last year. I thought it would be easier sending her this year but sometimes I don't want to get up. It is nice to go places in the morning without them but I highly doubt I will be doing that as much after the baby comes. We always loved the cooking part too. I just hated the struggle I had with her last year. She would run to her room crying whenever she couldn't do something perfect. This year she comes home with papers that aren't and she said she didn't want help. She is doing great in school though and my 4 year old is going to pre-k and loving it. She is amazing me with how she is trying to copy letters, not tracing them.

We live in NY and the requirements are one of the stricter ones. I hated trying to keep up with them. They were more annoying and usually pointless. It would have been nice to be more laid back.

#115213 - 10/23/04 11:42 AM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

There are so many homeschoolers in GA because the public school system isn't that great and the state requirement is strictly attendance. There are tremendous resources and any kind of play group you could ever want for any age. I think most boys should be homeschooled Terri!!! My nephew just moved down here and he is 9. He's very sensitive and not adjusting well to the new school. I wish so badly that I could keep him here with me and teach him. It's not my place though and his mom is very independent and doesn't really want anyone's help. I'm trying to let her kids come to my house after school but she still has them in the afterschool program. At least if he were here I could help him with homework. She's a single mom and she's a great mother but she works full time and my brother is useless so she's doing it all alone. I think she needs to learn to let others help. But I digress....

Emma is really excited about education. She's willing to sit and do the work even if she's a little bored sometimes! We have a good time. People always ask, do you all sit at the table and do school or what! They don't realize that spending times doing activities with your children is educational, especially when they are elementary aged. Doing puzzles, planting a garden, going for a walk, cooking, painting, singing, playing games, it's all education. I want my girls to love learning. I want them to remember being a kid and having the time to sit out in the yard and watch a bug or stay up late to watch the lunar eclipse (there's one on Oct. 27th starting at 9:15 eastern!!!) and not have to run home from school only to sit for a couple more hours doing even more work. I guess I sound a little preachy now don't I!? I'm just so passionate about them being able to be kids.
Rena

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review