All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
18 1/2 year son - Positive news - long post
      #111634 - 10/09/04 03:30 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Our 18 1/2 year old son Jeremy is attending a Technical College in Columbia, MD (we live in Alexandri, VA), taking courses to be an Automotive Technician. Jeremy takes classes M-T from 3pm-10pm & works at Mr. Tire at least 40 hours a week, so he is very busy. He wasn't able to come home this weekend, so we went over to MD to take him out to dinner. I hadn't seen the apartment he is sharing with three other guys, so I was able to see that. He didn't want me to, but it wasn't bad considering four teenage males were living there. The toilet needed cleaning & there was a sink full of dishes, but hey not my problem When Jeremy graduated from high school,it was by the skin of his butt; D's were his friends. He hated school, was hard to get up, you could not get the child to pick up a book. When he had to read a book for school, he would get the video or cliff notes. When he walked across that stage to get his diploma, I was praying that he didn't do anything stupid & that he just got out of the school. Lincoln Tech is a 15 month course,with each month a different block of intsruction. Jeremy has gotten 4.0's in his first two blocks of instructions, he thinks he might get a B in his third block (he thought we might be disappointed). He is reading real books & getting up & going to work all by himself, it is just amazing. When we went out to dinner last night, I had to stop myself from sitting there with my jaw dropped open when he was discussing novels with his dad and that he needed to study and transfer some notes later that evening. He still has his young fella moments, he was talking about video games & when we dropped him off, he came trotting across the parking lot to ask for money . Everyone says that he is doing so well because he is doing something he is interested in. My husband says not to question it. I tried to explain to him, I'm not questioning it, but its like someone turned a switch Old Jeremy/New Jeremy. I loved the old Jeremy & the new Jeremy, well he is quite something. I am so proud & excited for him. It warms my Mommy heart to see him growing up & maturing. People told me this would happen, but I was sceptical & was not expecting it this soon, but I'll take it. For any parents out there with cantankerous teens, there is hope. Thanks for listening.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 18 1/2 year son - Positive news - long post new
      #111637 - 10/09/04 04:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Wonderful news! I'm so glad to hear he's doing so well!!

Something similar happened to one of my younger brothers. He was a D student in public school; all he wanted to do was play with computers and electronics, he didn't want to do English homework. Well, he went to college for Computer Science, and he was SO good that by his last year, he was teaching the classes because he knew more than his instructors. He's now working as a computer programmer and making a SICK amount of money for a 26-year-old.

It happens! Doing something you actually LIKE makes all the difference in the world. Here's hoping Jeremy continues to do so well!

Daisy new
      #111638 - 10/09/04 05:27 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

That is sooooooo WONDERFUL!!!

As the mother of two teenage boys, I know the feeling. Sometimes you think they'll never grow up. And then one day, they surprise you. It probably is that he is enjoying what he's doing and sees the relevance of school now.

That is what we are seeing in our son who just went away to college last month. He hated high school, and had this "I don't care attitude." He turned in the minimum when it came to assignments. Now that his schoolwork is in an area that he likes, he is applying himself and loving it! He was telling us about school last night, and my husband remarked later that he'd never heard him talk that much.

Hey, I thought my son would never get up in the morning to go to class---and today (after his first visit home), he is returning to school EARLY to complete an assignment! And he asked me to buy him some more laundry detergent because he was out of it! Yikes! He's actually washing his own clothes! I never thought I'd see that day! Ha! He even asked me to pick up one of those stain-remover sticks.

And the big shocker---he didn't bring any dirty clothes home with him.

I am so excited for you. Isn't it neat to see them mature right before your eyes? It's what we parents hope and pray for, since the day we brought them home from the hospital.

As my other son would say, "YOU DID GOOD!!!!!"

Your son does his own laundry... new
      #111640 - 10/09/04 06:00 AM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Wow, now I'm feeling like an ungrateful daughter. My parents are coming up tomorrow to bring me food and do my laundry ! Granted I'm having some problems this semester and could use all the help I can get, but I haven't done my laundry in six weeks. Its a good thing I have a lot of socks and underwear and since the weather changed I switched from summer clothes to fall clothes. I am almost completely out of clothes though, and my mommy, bless her heart, offered to drive up here and do my laundry. How did I get so lucky to have such a wonderful mommy?

In response to Daisy's post. My brother was the same way. Straight C's through highschool. My parents and I were actaully shocked that he got into the schools he applied to. Now he's double majoring in physics and mechanical engineering and has made dean's list 3 out of 4 semesters. I guess guys just need to find something they're interested in before they can get motivated.

Meg

Similar story..... new
      #111648 - 10/09/04 07:36 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

That's such great news that your son is doing so well. You should be proud.

My son is 29 now but I remember when he was in high school. I was with him every step of the way to make sure he got through. He is very smart but was just not interested in school, especially history & english. Then he had girlfriend problems and was always daydreaming. Every morning I usually had to drag him out of bed. Anyway, I made up my mind that he was going to graduate no matter what I had to do. So every evening I made sure he did his homework and when he was making a bad grade I would go talk to the teacher and see if he could do makeup work. Anyway, to make a long story short, he graduated and went to San Jac Junior College for 2 yrs majoring in Audio Engineering...something he was really interested in... and is now working for Fox Sports Net and been promoted to supervisor of on-air operations. He turned out to be a great employee and always puts in extra time and effort if needed. I must admit I had my doubts when he was in high school but I am very proud of how he turned out.

Congrats on your son's success.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Daisy new
      #111674 - 10/09/04 09:52 AM
Daisymc

Is this the son with the lip ring? It sounds like everything is going great . Yes, this is what we have been working for. As for the laundry thing, well Jeremy needs some help in that area. He kept carrying the same basket home so the last time he was home, I said get your laundry & I will help you do it. He brought his basket of clothes down & started to throw them all in the same load:), so he still needs some work:). Rome wasn't built in a day huh?

--------------------
Daisy

Casy & Barbie - Thanks for your kind words -nt- new
      #111675 - 10/09/04 09:55 AM
Daisymc

--------------------
Daisy

Re: Your son does his own laundry... new
      #111687 - 10/09/04 11:19 AM
Daisymc

I would do that if I was your Mommy & you were having a bad time:). Just remember to give her a big hug & kiss and if you really want to get to her, slip her a little I love you note:).
Your brother made the Dean's List. Wow.

--------------------
Daisy

Daisy new
      #111712 - 10/09/04 01:28 PM
BL

I didn't say my son's clothes came out well, did I? But hey, he's trying and he had clean clothes on this weekend. (At least, they didn't smell dirty.)

Yes, this is the son who had his lip pierced. He's a good kid, very mature, and I still can't believe he did this. This is soooo out of character for him! I could tell he was embarrassed for us to see it. My husband asked him how long "this" was gonna last, and he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I dunno, probably not long. I just wanted to try it." So we're hoping and praying that this is just a phase for him, and that by the time he comes home again, it will be gone!

Lord help us, if his grandparents see it, they will die of shock! I hate it, and I'm praying he will realize this was a stupid thing that he did. Other than that, we had a great visit. He even came in Thursday night and gave me a big hug---which is rare for him!

Meg new
      #111714 - 10/09/04 01:36 PM
BL

You must have a ton of clothes if you haven't washed in 6 weeks and are just running out of clean clothes! My son doesn't have enough clothes to last that long.

And no, you shouldn't take your parents for granted. I spent all week getting ready for my son's first visit home. I emailed him and asked him if he needed me to get him anything at Target or Wal-Mart (he doesn't have one near him and no car at school.) He sent me a list, and I made 2 shopping trips to get the stuff on his list. Then I asked him what he wanted me to cook this weekend---and I planned his favorite meal. And I baked cookies for him to take back to the dorm with him.

I asked him yesterday if he would call home at least once a week so we would know how he's doing, and he has the nerve to say, "I'm too busy!" I burst into tears because I had spent most of last week doing things for him and then he tells me he's too busy to call us for 5 minutes!!!

I know he didn't mean it that way, but it still hurt. I know when I was your age, I took my parents for granted. I never realized how much time (and money) they spent on me. Not until I had kids of my own. Now I never hesitate to tell them how much I love and appreciate them!

If your Mom is coming to bring you food and do your laundry, I say give her a big hug and kiss---and tell her how much you appreciate her help. What if she said she was too busy to help you?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3432 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review