All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Body piercings, college students---and parents!!!
      #110713 - 10/06/04 06:20 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Our son is coming home tomorrow for his first visit after going away to college. We got an email from him this morning that says, "Just wanted to let you know I got my lip pierced. So don't freak out!"

Ok, my husband and I are freaking out!

I figure he probably did it for shock value, so I figure it's best to act like it's no big deal.

If you knew him, you would not believe he had this done. He has a huge fear of needles (any medical procedure, in fact.) He used to faint every time he went to the doctor. To give him a shot, the nurses would have to hold him down because he was terrified.

Ok, so you ladies are going to have to help me. I'm not prepared for this.

No wonder he said he has been eating soup in his dorm room.

His lip? Sorry, but I can't imagine why anyone would want something in their lip. Wouldn't that be very uncomfortable? And unsanitary? How can you eat with something in your lip?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Body piercings, college students---and parents!!! new
      #110714 - 10/06/04 06:29 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

hmmmm..

I am a student and I have my belly button pierced but that is not quite as extreme.

As long as he got it done somewhere sanitary he should be fine. I guess you can just hope that if he's anything like my ex boyfriend.. his email was sent to trick you into thinking he did something he didn't really do. He may be doing this just to scare you??!?!?

just a guess.. I really have no clue.. but it could be. i'm a kid and us kids like to make our parents mad sometimes.

--------------------

Ashley new
      #110717 - 10/06/04 06:46 AM
BL

Thanks for your comments. I'm hoping he did it just to shock us, and if we don't make a big deal out of it, he'll remove it later and decide it's not too much fun wearing this thing in his lip.

I don't know what I expect. He's at a big art school!

I just hope he had it done at a sanitary place. Now I'm worried he'll get hepatitis or something else from this.
You know moms, we always worry.

He is the last person in the world I would've thought would have had this done----because he is so terrified of needles.

I just hope it's something small and not huge My tummy is in knots worrying about this. Now I'm kind of afraid of what other surprises may be around the corner. Gosh, I wasn't expecting this on the very first visit home.

LOL! new
      #110720 - 10/06/04 06:55 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

That's funny. Never heard it from the parent's view before. Don't make a big deal about it. A well placed, sarcastic remark from a parent will go a long way! Like... "is that for oral sex?"

~nelly~

#110722 - 10/06/04 07:18 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Think of it this way....at least it can be removed!! If he'd gotten a tattoo then he's stuck with it for life.

Re: Ashley new
      #110723 - 10/06/04 07:22 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

No problem.. he could potentially be joking..

let us know when he gets home!

--------------------

Nelly new
      #110727 - 10/06/04 07:41 AM
BL

I was thinking of saying, "Now I know why you've been eating all that soup in your dorm room." (He told me he bought a hot plate and had been eating Ramen noodles. After we paid a fortune for the dining hall service!!!)

He probably hasn't been able to eat anything else for awhile. He asked me if I would fix some spaghetti for him while he's home. Maybe I should tell him I got him a big steak!

Re: Ashley new
      #110728 - 10/06/04 07:44 AM
BL

I don't think he's joking. I think he knew he had to tell me ahead of time so I could get used to the idea. He knew I would've had a heart attack if he just walked in the house like that!

Someone please tell me, is this a small thing between your lip and chin? Or actually on your lip? Tell me this is not going to be something huge.

I know----I'm glad it's not permanent. May leave a scar though.

Lip Rings new
      #110729 - 10/06/04 07:50 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

the small one between your lip and your chin is called a labrette....then there's the regular lip ring which can be done anywhere on the lip (the middle, the side, etc.)

If it leaves a scar it'll be barely noticable...I wouldn't worry too much about that....

#110730 - 10/06/04 08:05 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hi BL.
You sound like my mom when I got a tatoo! Everyone is right - at least it's removable!
I'm sure it's a silver loop on his lip - it's just a phase he's going through....I went through that too - at one point I had 11 peircings....now I only have 6 - 5 in my ears and one in my belly button. That's still a lot I realize...but as soon as I get pregnant the belly button one will be gone...and I hardly ever wear that many earrings anyways!

Nelly cracked me up - if you said something about oral sex I bet he'd be SO embarrassed about it and want to take it out.

Let us know how it goes!

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4517 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review