All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My University Stinks
      #109409 - 09/30/04 05:42 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Ok, so I've been trying to get moved into one of the on campus apartments so that I can have a place to cook for myself since I can't eat anything on the menu in the dining halls. The cooks at the dining hall have been nice enough to offer to bake me a chicken breast and find me some rice or pasta any day as long as I give them half an hours notice, but I'm really getting sick of eating the same thing for lunch and dinner every single day. I found out this afternoon that the university doesn't consider IBS a disability so they don't feel that they owe me any special considerations. Hello, what the heck is IBS if not a chronic medical condition (which fits the definition of a disability according to the Americans with Disabilities Act). I plan to call the Office for Disability Services on campus first thing tomorrow morning, but this is the last thing I need to deal with right now. Having IBS is hard enough, and now I have to defend myself to a bunch of paper pushers who don't want to deal with my condition because it will cost them more money. I'm trying not to get stressed out about this since I'm already sick enough. All I want to do right now is go home and get a hug from my Mom.

Meg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My University Stinks new
      #109412 - 09/30/04 05:47 PM
Tamstired

Reged: 09/28/04
Loc: Virginia, USA

Hey sweetie, listen, all the beauracrats in the world could and will NEVER be able to understand everything we go throug. But there is something you can do, sometimes stress can make everything worse, find something that makes you feel like home and hold onto it for about an hour or two and then give yourself a big hug, keep fighting for what you beleive in and it will all work out. If you need ANYTHING to help you get through all the red tape crap just let me know and I will see what I can do. Until then from a mother of one to a person that need it, HUGGGGGGSSSSSS, HUGGSSS, HHUUGGSS, HHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#109446 - 10/01/04 12:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd suggest you print out some notes on the disability thing and on IBS (saying it's a chronic condition) and take them with you! Unfortunately, quite a lot of doctors still believe they can "cure" IBS, which would mean it isn't a chronic condition. But they're talking b***ocks!

#109452 - 10/01/04 04:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

lots of hugs, can you have your doctor write a note about how you are controlling a medical condition with diet and that although the cafeteria has been able to accomodate you it is with the same foods for each meal, which will in turn lead to major health problemd due to a lack of a balanced diet?

Good luck

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Good News new
      #109601 - 10/01/04 12:54 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

So the President of the University was having an open house at his office today, so I decided to go and see if I could get a chance to talk with him about all the trouble I've been getting from the University. Well, I got my chance, he said he didn't have time to sit down and talk with me today, so he took me over to the Vice Provost's office who sat down with me for almost 20 minutes and called the head of Housing and Food Services to see what was going on. I should have an answer either today or Monday about whether there are any open appartments on campus that I can move into. As much as I enjoy messing with the system and going over everyones' heads, why the heck did things have to go this far before anyone would help me? But at least today put a smile on my face !

Meg

Wow! Way to go! :) -nt- new
      #109641 - 10/01/04 01:41 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Good News new
      #109653 - 10/01/04 02:17 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Meg that is great news. I am very Proud of you for standing up for your self. GOOD JOB!!! If you get a no on the apartment I would call the local paper and see if they are intrested in a story
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Yay you! Well done! - nt new
      #109662 - 10/01/04 02:41 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well done Meg- I have my fingers crossed for you -nt- new
      #109679 - 10/01/04 03:53 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

--------------------
S.

Re: Good News new
      #109697 - 10/01/04 05:18 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Way to go! I had to fight with my school about something else, something they claimed they could do nothing about. I was so frustrated, and my brother said "If your last name was ____ (name of the school), they'd find a way to help you!" It's true. When people say that something can't be done, it usually means that they just aren't willing to do it for you. So pitch a fit. Cry. I mean it. Real tears have power. Tell them your parents want to make you take a medical leave and go home if you can't get your own place to live.
Also be as flexible as possible. Tell them you are willing to take any housing that gives you access to a kitchen. Tell them you will live with roommates you don't know, on the tenth floor of a building with no elevator (ok I am being extreme here, but you get the point.) If you seem like you are impossible to please, nobody will bother trying.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2970 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review