All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Venting!!!
      #107851 - 09/23/04 09:31 AM
gopher

Reged: 09/15/04
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

OK, I guess I have not really formally intoduced myself yet, I just kinda jumped right in....Anyway, my story is as such: I believe I have had IBS since i was around 12 or so (I am 31 now), mostly it would be IBS-C....so fast forward to 1998 and I get married, now hubby and I decide to go ahead and get pregnant...yeah right, easier said than done....so we go through a battery of really nasty and invasive fertility tests and the Dr's tell us we have "unexplained infertility".....In the meantime I am also diagnosed with endometriosis and low thyroid, but they did not think this was the cause of my infertility as the endometriosis is not immediatly around my reproductive organs....to continue on.....we try 6 IUI's (intrauterine insemination)obviously none worked and we were told that our only options were IVF ($10,000.00 and no guarantee) or Adoption ($8,000.00), so we chose adoption.....we are officialy on the waiting list as of the end of July, so now we keep waiting....back to the IBS....In 2002, my place of work got to be really unhealty (and still is, since I am still here awaiting adoption to take parental leave), then my Hubby's Grandmother passed away, then his Aunt passed away suddenly a month later.....in between these deaths, I wound up in the hospital 6 times for severe nausea, D and pain...The last time I wound up in there the ER Dr. refered me to the GI clinic at the UofA hospital...he booked me in immediatly for a colonoscopy....BadaBing....confirmed diagnosis of IBS-D.....I tried to fix it by diet alone, but had to resort to Dicetel, which really does work for me.....I still cheat, as does everyone, but since I dont drink i call it my own special little hangover LOL...i know, not to smart..but I am only human....Phew.....It feels good to get all that out and I am so very happy that there are people like me out there.....I am not the most chatty person but I do enjoy good conversation and will help anyone anyway I can......I am very much looking forward to the recipes and any new info and help i can get from everybody...

So here is a big hello to everyone!!
Cheers!!
Cristy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Venting!!! new
      #107856 - 09/23/04 09:46 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the boards....we're so happy to have you!!

I'm sorry to hear that your attempts to have a baby haven't worked out for you. I think adoption is a wonderful idea...you're gonna be saving a child!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope it all works it soon!

I'm glad the Dicetel is working for you. I tried it and it didn't work for me at all. I'm now taking Modulon (which is the same kind of thing) and it seems to be working pretty well. I was IBS-A when I started it and it's pushed me over to IBS-C now...which I preferr over the A because I find it a little easier to control.

Anyway....enough rambling for me...welcome aboard!!

Welcome to the boards, Cristy! -nt- new
      #107880 - 09/23/04 11:11 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

Hi new
      #107896 - 09/23/04 11:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Welcome Cristy!

The best thing ever if you're at all IBS-A is a SFS. Helps to keep you in the middle so to speak. I take Acacia and think it's great, way better than the psyllium I was on before.

Go back to your GI and ask about other meds. Most of us have to try quite a few before we find out what works on us. I'm IBS-A, tending to D and I found a daily Immodium as a D preventative really helped me stabilise.

That sucks on the kids front. I can't belive how much it costs to adopt over there! As if getting a child wasn't expensive enough! Yikes!

It's lovely to have you here and chirpy! Stick around.

PS. why gopher?

Re: Hi new
      #107899 - 09/23/04 11:39 AM
gopher

I have heard you all speak alot about Acacia tho I have never tried it.....I'm sure it cannot hurt to try it!! Thanks!! Adoption in Alberta has been privatized by the government and it is all open, that is how they justify the cost.....It does tick me off, but we will do what we have to do to have a child...LOL..gopher....well, when I was little and we went camping, I would sit on the ground by a gopher hole and I could squeek & chatter like them would and they come out of their holes for treats i had...LOL...my parents nicknamed me gopher and it kinda stuck!!!

yeah, I know, I am strange!! LOL

#107922 - 09/23/04 01:04 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Welcome to the boards. We glad to have ya.

--------------------
Heather7476

A big hello to you, too, Cristy ! -nt- new
      #107940 - 09/23/04 01:51 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

Re: Hi new
      #108080 - 09/24/04 03:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's a cool nickname! Love it!

I hope you guys at least get to the top of the list soon. It's nuts. So many kids that need new homes and they make it so difficult for the people you want to help.

Good luck!

#108127 - 09/24/04 08:11 AM
gopher

Thanx so much for the well wishes on the adoption and for being such welcoming wonderful people!!!

#108159 - 09/24/04 09:33 AM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

A friend of mine suffered through years of infertility and the treatments and failed attempts before adopting. She has a 6 year old son that she got when he was 2 from a Russian Orphanage. She said if she'd known adoption would have been this great, she would have started there and skipped all the fertility treatments/tests. Good luck with your adoption and your IBS.
Rena

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1460 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 964

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review