All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
17 year old with constipation HELP
      #107224 - 09/21/04 08:43 AM
leggs_500

Reged: 03/15/03

My son has terrible pain in his gut. Everyone thought he had a kidney stone but tests proved otherwise. He has been given a laxative and pain killer and sent home. He has been moving his bowels regularly for about a week now but no relief for the pain. (He has been constipated up to 2 months before). He has had impacted bowels before. The doctor is assuming IBS because I have it, with diareah. Im worried for him and dont know where to go. If he has IBS should he still be having pain after going to the bathroom? If anyone has heard of this, please let me know. He had a CT scan in the emergency room and they said it was normal.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 17 year old with constipation HELP new
      #107230 - 09/21/04 09:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Did they test him for Chron's, celiac, and other stuff? What did they do besides a CT scan? There are many more tests they can do for him!

Does he pain during his BMs? Before and after or just after? Has he tried Heather's diet yet?

By the way, you may want to re-post this on the Eating for IBS Diet Board...you'll probably get more responses there (this board is our "hang out" board). Please keep posting....we'll figure out some way to help you. You definately came to the right place!

It's so grea that you care about your son so much...you sound like a great mom! *hugs*

With love,

ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#107235 - 09/21/04 09:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

He needs to have a colonoscopy and stool sample & blood tests before IBS can be diagnosed.

In the meantime, if it is IBS, a SFS will help, as will Heather's diet.

#107314 - 09/21/04 02:07 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I'm 18 and have had IBS for years, and I'm pretty much always in pain. I had kidney failure when I was 16 and during my last bad "attack" it took the doctors almost a week to realize that the pain I was having in my back was actually due to my IBS and not a flare up of my kidney problems. So far I haven't found much that makes the pain go away. Pain killers tend to make constipation worse and I also tend to hallucinate when on narcotics ! I've been on Heather's diet for about 2 months now and although it hasn't been a miraculous recovery, I am starting to feel better. I still have pain in my back and abdomen but not quite as bad. Sorry I can't be of more help, but tell your son that he can post here if he needs support from people who know exactly what he's going through. The people on these message boards are really great .

Meg

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 725

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review