All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
No pain, no IBS?
      #107143 - 09/20/04 08:19 PM
sela

Reged: 10/10/03

Even though I have been dealing with IBS like symptoms for the last 31/2 years, I do not experience the pain (unless I eat something really wrong) that seems to be a major part of this disorder. I experience cramping but nothing debilitating. Could someone describe their pain?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No pain, no IBS? new
      #107193 - 09/21/04 04:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It varies a lot with me from just a little niggling ache to full-blown, doubled over in agony pain.

Everyone's symptoms are different, so if you don't have major pain, then lucky you! But you must get checked out properly as there are lots of things that IBS symptoms can mimic.

#107195 - 09/21/04 04:33 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I've been diagnosed as IBS... I get crampy and achy, but not the full blown double over in painm stuff unless I really screw up and eat something totally outrageous- most oopses are more achy, crampy, bloat and D or C or both... thats the worst- C for 2 or 3 days and then explosive D to follow...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#107259 - 09/21/04 12:08 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

The pain I get comes on like a childbirth contraction. It starts as a cramp, then nothing. Then another cramp, harder. Then nothing. The cramping cycles anywhere from 15 mins apart, then get closer and closer together (never the other way around). Once they get to about 5 minutes apart, they are debilitating and I can't stop myself from doubling over in agony (it's not something I can hide). Once they get to about 3 mins apart I can start pushing and get explosive D. I'll usually spike a fever at this point when I cramp up, and if I can't expel the gas, the pain becomes sharp, hot and unbearable. I've passed out before and hit my head on the sink on my way down. Often I have to remove all clothing to cool down. When I cool down I can slow down the cycle of cramping pain, and potentially buy some time to get to the bathroom. (I've taken off my coat and thrown myself on a snowdrift before.)

The pain from the attacks is always sharp and acute. Dull pain (from being punched in the stomach, hearing a car backfire, drinking something cold or from eating something which is a trigger) will often jumpstart the attacks, unless i can scarf down some immodium really quick and cool off.

Remember the aliens in the movie Alien? That's what I picture in me, scratching their way out of my gut.

That's what it feels like for me.

~nelly~

#107412 - 09/21/04 07:01 PM
sela

Man,I've had everything done but an enodscopy (I have an appointment for this Monday) and tests up to the ying-yang. So far it just looks like ibs. Which, when you think of all one could have,really ain't so bad.

#107414 - 09/21/04 07:03 PM
sela

Nelly, I'm so sorry for all you have to go through. Thanks so much for replying. Take care.

#107858 - 09/23/04 09:55 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL, thanks. Sorry for the long description. It's good to talk about it. IBS means different things to different people. I myself say often I'd love to be constipated, but I know it's no fun to be IBS-C either.

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 647 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 585

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review