All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
M&M's and a prayer
      #106349 - 09/16/04 04:57 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

My husband is out of town, and both beagles are in bad shape. I think one of them had a seizure or stroke this afternoon. (He's had one before, years ago.) He is finally responding to me a little, after hours of a glassy stare, but one side of his face is still droopy. It's really scary to watch. I can put a treat in front of his nose and he acts like he doesn't see or smell it. Just stares into space.The vet says there's nothing you can do about it---just wait it out. But he's never had the droopy face. I hope he didn't get bit by something.

The other beagle just threw up her dinner!

Yikes! I really can't afford to take both of them to the animal emergency clinic tonight, so I'm waiting it out til morning when the vet gets in.

It's gonna be a long night! I'm eating my son's peanut M&M's now. I'll pay for this later, but I'm so stressed. Breath in, breath out .....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: M&M's and a prayer new
      #106352 - 09/16/04 05:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Poor little things... I hope they're both ok... and I hope YOU're ok, too! It's scary and heartbreaking to watch something happen to a pet; it really freaked me out when one of my kitties had a bad reaction to anesthesia when she got spayed, and her eyes kept rolling back in her head. I don't blame you one bit for the M&M-eating!

Hang in there... and keep us posted!

He's up and acting fine now! new
      #106353 - 09/16/04 05:23 PM
BL

Man, it was like someone turned a switch on. All of a sudden my beagle in his coma-like state perked up, wagged his tail and acted normal (blinking and responding). So I let him out of his crate and he ran downstairs to his food dish. He ate, drank and went out to potty---and you would never believe he's been in trance-like state for almost 4 hours!

Thank God he's ok. Now, if he just won't throw his food up! I probably shouldn't have fed him, but he was acting like he was starving.

Excellent news!! new
      #106356 - 09/16/04 05:32 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hopefully dinner will stay in him and he'll continue to be fine. That's wonderful!

Re: Excellent news!! new
      #106401 - 09/17/04 03:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's cool he's feeling better! Hope your other one's ok too!

My old dog actually had a stroke too last week. A bit scary, but he's doing so well now. Still a bit lop-sided though!

Re: He's up and acting fine now! new
      #106406 - 09/17/04 04:32 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

umm.. sounds like my sisters baby (cocker spaniel) he has a siezure disorder and after he has a siezure he is fairly out of it and immobile for awhile (depending on the length and intensity of the seizure) then he is back to his normal self. He takes meds to prevent seizures, but every so often they need to re-adjust those and don't get the new dose right. There is something they can give him to stop a seizure, but that means they found him having it. Poor Danit and Norman- he had one the week of their wedding... I think it was all the excitement in the house and all the guests trooping through, but hard to tell...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#106414 - 09/17/04 06:06 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Oh! How scary!! I'm so glad he's ok. Poor guy.
Did your other one throw up anymore?? Rocco has been sick too, no throwing up, but D. He's on 3 meds, so hopefully he'll get better soon. He's so skinny.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Excellent news!! new
      #106428 - 09/17/04 07:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Wow, that must have been scary! I hate it when my animals are sick, it would be so much easier if they could talk and tell us what was wrong! Glad to hear he's feeling better! Did dinner stay down? How's your belly after the m&m's?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#106435 - 09/17/04 07:32 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Glad to hear they are doing better. Keep us posted.
Good luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#106469 - 09/17/04 09:19 AM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

Glad he is recouperating well. What a stressful time.

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

Both dogs are fine now (cross your fingers) new
      #106522 - 09/17/04 12:19 PM
BL

Mulligan (the seizure-prone beagle) is his usual happy self today, but he does have a small spot on his nose that looks like a bloody scab. I'm wondering if his droopy face wasn't caused by a bite, hopefully, not a snake bite! He definitely had a seizure. If he was bitten by something, I don't know if this caused the seizure or not.

The entire 4-hour episode was scary, and I'm glad it's over with.

The little one, Bitsy, is fine today too, but she's mad because I fed her white rice this morning instead of her usual dog food. She ate it, but she gave me this look that could kill! She wasn't happy about the blah food! I'll give her her usual tonight.

Cara, I hate to hear that Roco is having D. I bet that is a mess! Is the D a result of the meds---or something else? Usually after 4-5 days on a dewormer, the worms are gone!

Caution, dog owners!!!!! new
      #106534 - 09/17/04 12:42 PM
BL

I just talked to the vet, and he said my dog may have experienced toad poisoning! He said he's seen several dogs lately that have picked up or licked a toad and had problems like mine had. He said the poison in the toad's glands can cause the dog to have an LSD-like effect where they hallucinate! Their eyes dilate and they seem spaced out for awhile.

He also told me to pick every MUSHROOM in my backyard---because if a dog eats or licks one of those, it can cause serious problems, even death.

We've had a lot of both toads and mushrooms lately because of all the rain we've had.

Gosh, I didn't know our backyard was such a dangerous place!!!!

Re: Caution, dog owners!!!!! new
      #106569 - 09/17/04 02:54 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

On no!! We have a pond 20 feet behind our house, right in the backyard, and we have toads EVERYWHERE!! And mushrooms. I'm glad you told me this! We tie him up out there a lot!

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1436

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review