All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
A bittersweet weekend in Savannah
      #105608 - 09/13/04 02:04 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

We spent the weekend getting our son settled in his dorm room at the Savannah College of Art and Design. The house seems quiet now (without his stereo blaring)--- and I had no one to eat lunch with today, but I know he will be happy there.

This weekend, he kept asking me and my husband, "When are you leaving?" He was so ready to be on his own! The only reason we stayed was to accompany him to an awards dinner for scholarship recipients Saturday night.

And if I can brag a little, I must say I didn't know a parent could feel so much pride for a child as I did Saturday night. At the awards banquet, the college's president said these students were the "cream of the crop" and were in the top 6 percent of the incoming student body. The scholarship recipients included winners in the Scholastic Art Contest, the Coca-Cola Arts contest, a Disney Art contest, a student who had been featured on CNN and NPR, and the list went on.

When they asked the winners to stand, I cried tears of JOY. I thought my heart was going to burst! I could not believe he was included in such an elite group. I didn't cry much at his graduation, but at this moment, it seemed like his 12 years of school flashed before my eyes---and I could remember him at each stage.

Ok, I have to stop now because I'm going to cry again! And the best news of all was that after only 2 days there, he couldn't wait to leave the dinner and go back to his dorm because he was meeting his new friends for pizza and a movie!!!! New friends after only 2 days there? That was the best news I could've heard.

And he got a great roommate---and a large corner room in the dorm. God is good!

Gosh, I miss him already, but I know he's having a blast.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A bittersweet weekend in Savannah new
      #105677 - 09/13/04 05:45 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi BL,

Sounds like you have a lot to be proud of. It's so great that your son has already made friends and has a great dorm room.
He is very fortunate to have such a caring mom as you.

Barbie

--------------------

Barbie new
      #105681 - 09/13/04 06:07 PM
BL

But I miss him so much already! How can a Mom go to bed not knowing where her son is---and what time he's coming in at night?

Re: Barbie new
      #105684 - 09/13/04 06:31 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Oh, poor Mom. I don't know what to tell you other than he's a grownup now, and I'm sure you've done a great job as a parent so he'll be ok. I actually have a friend going to the same school (my little sister's boyfriend's brother... this sounds weird but our family is really close so Linds' boyfriend is very close to me and by extension his brother) and he loves it and has been doing really well there. So I'm sure your son is fine and will be learning a ton. You should be proud... he's all grown up!!

Aww! Proud mommy! new
      #105719 - 09/14/04 12:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Be happy that you've raised such a skilled and happy child! Don't worry - he'll still want his mom when he gets freshers flu!

#105738 - 09/14/04 04:56 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

thats great that he's doing so well and what a gorgeous town to be in! I love Savannah...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: BL new
      #105778 - 09/14/04 08:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thats great he is settling in and making friends so quickly! you do have a lot to be proud of! I thought about you this past sunday and wondered how you were holding up! I know its hard with him gone but you did a great job raising him! Maybe its time for you to get a new hobby, or maybe take a class during the day, or maybe volunteer somewhere to keep you occupied!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Oh, I am extremely busy! new
      #105825 - 09/14/04 01:21 PM
BL

My husband and I are helping organize a golf tournament to benefit the March Forth with Hope Foundation. Some of you may have heard of 12-year-old Hope Stout, the feisty redhead who last fall encouraged the local Make A Wish Foundation to raise $1.8 million to grant the wishes of all of the children on its list. This was Hope's wish last year when she was suffering from bone cancer. She died in January, but her parents are now wanting to help other families going through the same thing. Hope is now the national "poster child" for the Make A Wish Foundation. Her parents are the neatest people, and it has been an honor to help them raise funds in their daughter's memory. The golf tournament is Monday, so I have tons to do to help them get ready for that!

Also, we are busy taking our other son, a senior in high school, on college visits.

I just talked to our son in Savannah and he was at the mall with friends, so I guess he's not too stranded without his car!

And my beagles always give me something to do---especially when they're vomiting on the carpet---like the little one was doing yesterday. Yuck!

#105848 - 09/14/04 03:09 PM

Unregistered

Congratulations to both you and him! You should be very proud! That is a very good school.
I was just wondering, what is he is majoring in. I go to an art school too.
Best of luck!

Brittany new
      #105857 - 09/14/04 03:47 PM
BL

He plans to major in graphic design and maybe minor in photography, but those plans could change. Who knows! What school do you attend and what are you studying?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1662 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1274

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review