All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to IBS w/D, How Do I Make the D Stop?!
      #105341 - 09/12/04 01:29 PM
Newlywed

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: New York

Hi my name is Lisa and i was just diagn with IBS with diarrhea. i have had this for 2 months now. i am on pamine forte (which does nothing) and an anti-depressant but i see no improvment. i have Heather's book and have changed my diet. for breakfast i will have rice chex with soy milk or plain oatmeal for a snack at work i will have a few baked tostitos for dinner i will have broiled or grilled chicken with plain rice or pasta. my diet is dull and it sucks but IT'S NOT MAKING A DIFFERENCE!

what am i doing wrong? i still have diarrhea two to three times a day. i give up!

any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi & Welcome, Lisa new
      #105360 - 09/12/04 04:51 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Don't give up. Sometimes it takes a while to figure this thing out and it can be very frustrating. Are you keeping a food diary of everything you eat? That will help you pinpoint what your triggers might be. What you are eating sounds OK to me...except... Could it be the soy? Some people can't tolerate that. Also, the doritos. I can't eat many of those. Are you sure you are not eating anything with sorbitol like vitamins, gum or mints?

Do you take Imodium? That is really a big help to most of us with "D".

Sorry, I couldn' be more help but just surf around on the boards and maybe you can find some more info.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: New to IBS w/D, How Do I Make the D Stop?! new
      #105370 - 09/12/04 08:50 PM
ribbit

Reged: 08/26/04
Loc: Longview, TX

Ahhh...First things first. Buy some Citrucel fiber and start taking it twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. The soluble fiber will help to bulk up your stool. Increase it slowly so that you give your body time to adjust. Also, have you had any heartburn? I found out that my severe heartburn was contributing greatly to my D. Once that was under control I improved some. As far as food, I always resort to toast and rice when I don't feel well. I also drink Ensure because I have a real problem maintaining weight. Hope this helps.
J9

#105390 - 09/13/04 12:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You NEED to start taking a soluble fibre supplement and you'll NEED to spend a few days on the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet - so JUST plain soluble fibre foods for a while to try and break the cycle. You also need to snack regularly throughout the day, especially if you don't have lunch.

Immodium can be incredibly helpful in stabilising and for attacks. Taking it daily as a preventative is a great idea - I took one tablet every day for months, but now rarely need it.

Has your doctor tried you on any other meds? Unfortunately, with IBS, it's a case of trial and error to find out what works best for you. Were you diagnosed properly - did you have a colonoscopy done?

Good luck!

#105422 - 09/13/04 06:36 AM
Newlywed

Linz,

thanks for responding. yes i had blood tests and stool tests done as well as a colonoscopy. okay, today after work i am going to buy fiber supplements. how much fiber should i start off with?

i am calling my doc today to ask him to put me on something stronger than pamine forte (it's not doing anything)

thank you.

#105424 - 09/13/04 06:39 AM
Newlywed

Ribbit,

thanks for posting. okay today i am going to buy a fiber supplement. i guess i will start taking it just once in the morning for a little while then take it at night as well.

i am losing a lot of weight b/c i eat such low fat or no fat foods. does ensure help to keep your weight up? i did not know that.

~Lisa

Re: Hi & Welcome, Lisa new
      #105428 - 09/13/04 06:43 AM
Newlywed

Barbie,

thanks for posting. nope i dont eat mints or chew gum. i guess it's just going to take time to understand my body and to control my IBS. i wont give up, promise

Newlywed new
      #105439 - 09/13/04 07:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Check out Soluble Fibre Guidelines

Good luck!

#106141 - 09/16/04 12:24 AM
ribbit

Reged: 08/26/04
Loc: Longview, TX

Yeah, Ensure is great for maintaining weight. When I can't eat, I drink Ensure...The regular Ensure has 250 calories and the Ensure Plus has 350. When I can eat, I drink it with my meals so that I get extra calories. Another thing you can do, is make a smoothie with it. I use one bottle of Ensure, 1/4-1/2 cup Soy milk (for extra fiber), a banana, and sometimes ice cream. If you don't like the taste of Soy milk, don't worry, everything else covers the taste up. My stomach can usually take it pretty well. I also learned from a doctor that when your stomach is upset the four easiest things to digest are bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast (commonly called the BRAT diet)...I have lived on it for days at a time when I couldn't eat anything else.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1541

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review