All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Got our kitten
      #102587 - 08/30/04 11:11 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Well we got our kitten. I have to take it to the vet next week. It's tiger striped. My daughter named it milo. I hope it's a boy It is a very sweet kitty but it is hiding either behind my couch or under my bakers rack all the time. My mom said it just needs time to get used to us. I hope so. It was very cuddley at the store and prurred alot so I am hoping I got a good one. Now I just got to figure out how to train him to use the litter box.

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Got our kitten new
      #102591 - 08/30/04 11:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

YIPPPPEEEE! That's so exciting! congrats!

Go to google.com and look up the humane society and cats. You should be able to find tons of info. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what more I can find for ya!

Enjoy your kitty!

P.S. It can take a couple of weeks for it to adjust. Give it time! And give yourselves time to adjust to it as well. Happy purring!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#102594 - 08/30/04 11:23 AM
Snow for Sarala

Hi Heather!

Check out this website:
http://www.perfectpaws.com/litter.html

One thing to consider: Your cat just arrived at your home. It's probably stressed out...which probably explains the hiding as well as not using the litter box. From what I've read...cats know instinctively to use their litterbox. Your kitty is probably just so stressed out at being in a new place with new people.

In any case...let me know if this is helpful. If not, I'll keep searching for ya

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#102606 - 08/30/04 11:51 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Hey my cats name is Milo too! My husband, then boyfriend gave him to me almost 10 years ago! He is a great cat. Very silly too! It will take you kitty a little time, but he/she will bond with you very soon!

Sounds like fun! Oh, by the way....did your daughters nose get better? Poor girl! I've had a similar situation with my son. Except he feels like there is something stuck in his nose. He is sniffing all the time. I have him on nose spray...and he will go to the Dr. next week.

Anyhow!! Have fun with the new kitty!

--------------------

#102625 - 08/30/04 12:41 PM
heather7476

Thanks so much Ruchie that web site was very helpfull. I am trying to give him/her a little roon and am just letting him/her hide right now. It is hard for my little one she wants her kitty I just keep telling her he needs a little time. Thanks Again

--------------------
Heather7476

#102628 - 08/30/04 12:48 PM
heather7476

Thanks Steph
My daughter named him after the movie Atlantis. If it is a girl it will be Kida from the same movie. I thought DD nose was getting better but she is still pretty congested so I am going to call and see if I can get her in to the doc in the morning before school. Hope your son is doing better.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#102634 - 08/30/04 01:05 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Heather!
We just got two new kittens a month ago! So sweet and cute! How old is your kitten? If he's been with his mom for long enough, mom should have tought him to use a litter box - they catch on to this one pretty easily since it's instictual for them to dig when they want to pee or pooh. On the space thing - one thing I would recommend is to give kitty his own room for awhile if possible. Having the whole run of the house all of a sudden on day one might be intimidating for the little guy. If you have a spare room of any kind that is rather smallish and kitten proofed, maybe just put him in there with his food and his litter box and any toys or other things that seem to calm him. Spend time with him in the room on and off so he gets used to the idea of having people types around. He'll get comfortable to the smaller space before the bigger space. He's also less likely to loose track of the litter box - or be too scared to sneak accross the house to use it - in a smaller space. Just an idea. I'm sure it's hard for your daughter to be patient! Kitties are the cutest!
Good luck!
Min

#102636 - 08/30/04 01:12 PM
heather7476

I am not sure how old I think about 8 weeks. We got him at a pet store so I am not sure abut his mom. We were giong to go through a shelter but I realy couldn't find one that was going to work. They all had long waiting periods or they wanted to take the kitty to a vet of there choice have it spayed and then you pick it up from the vet right after it is spayed. I thought that sound way to stressfull for a kitty. Getting spayed and a new home all in one day. Yikes. So we went to a pet store I will know more when we take him/her to the vet on 9/7. I think I will try the kitty room because he/she is majior stressed right now.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#102685 - 08/30/04 04:02 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm SO GLAD the article helped you out!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: My Eyes are itching like crazy??? new
      #102730 - 08/30/04 07:36 PM
heather7476

Ok so the kitty is doing real well sat with me most of the night and let me pet him/her but now my Eyes are driving me nuts. The are red and itch like crazy and my nose is starting to run. I don't know if it is the cat or if I am catching what my daughter had. Any suggestions???

--------------------
Heather7476

#102778 - 08/31/04 06:17 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

take an antihistamine (sp?) like reactine or allegra or something....if it is the cat you may get used to it...

I know when we first got our cat my brother was super allergic to her but after a couple weeks he was fine. There are also allergy wipes you can buy. They're completely harmless to your pet but if you wipe them down with it then it takes away the dander from their fur that causes allergies.

Hope you feel better

#102794 - 08/31/04 08:14 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I am super allergic to cats. And if I get within 10 feet of one my eyes start to itch and get red and puffy, my nose runs and I get congested, and then I start to have trouble breathing (almost like an asthma effect). I usually have to take Benadryl and get an OTC inhaler if I am to be around a cat for an extended period.

So, It could very well be the cat or you could just be getting what your daughter has. I hope it is not an allergy, cats are so adorable. I would love to have one but can't!

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Itchy eyes, runny nose, and new kitten... new
      #102800 - 08/31/04 08:25 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

Those sound like allergy symptoms to me. I have 3 cats and unfortunately, I am allergic to cats (found out after the second cat, didn't intend to get a third, but she was a stray that I rescued). I take Allegra 180mg every day of the year. I also take regular non-drowsy sudafed when I need it. I have Rx eyedrops too - I used to use them every morning and every night, but now I only use them as needed.

I would also recommend washing your sheets in HOT water at least once a week if you're going to let him/her into your bedroom. I would also invest in a HEPA filter vacuum.

It is possible to live with a cat if you have allergies (I'm living proof) - you just have to do a little extra to control the allergies. In my opinion, the kitties are worth everything I have to do to keep them

Good luck!

Re: Itchy eyes, runny nose, and new kitten... new
      #102829 - 08/31/04 10:02 AM
heather7476

Thanks. I took some over the counter allergy meds last night that seemed to help. So I hope I will just get used to it because there is no way I am getting ride of this cat.
He has finnaly come out of hiding and is a great little kitten.

--------------------
Heather7476

#102831 - 08/31/04 10:15 AM
heather7476

Thanks Kimm
I will have to look for those wipes. I hope I will be fine once I get used to him/her.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Not a good sign! new
      #102832 - 08/31/04 10:27 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

That's exactly what happens to me when I'm around a cat---and I'm highly allergic to them! Last night we went to someone's house for a meeting. My eyes started itching. I'm rubbing them and thinking my new contacts have irritated them. Then I see a cat walking into their kitchen!!!

I can usually tell if someone has a cat BEFORE I see it. The itchy eyes and runny nose are the indicators I get! My eyes will swell up---and I will drive myself crazy scratching them. Darn cats! (sorry, but I don't like cats.)

Pet Filters.... new
      #102846 - 08/31/04 11:08 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I'm allergic to cats as well and I have a cat (my allergist was not happy with me when I got my kitty!). I find that alot of the suggestions you've already been given help (washing sheets, vacuum with hepa filter, those wipes that Kimm mentioned). One other thing I wanted to suggest was the pet filters you can get that are made by TruAir. It's a air filter that plugs into a standard outlet and you can choose what type of filter to put in (regular, cigarrette smoke, or pets). I have the pet one going in a few rooms in my place, and I find that it helps a little. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://mycigarettes.com/true_air_filters.asp

Good luck!
Kelly

#102875 - 08/31/04 01:38 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

congrats on the kitty, hope its not allergies, though you could always just take allergy meds.. good luck.. we are kitty-less after many years of my having multiple cats because of Bil's allergies, we found other homes for the younger cats years ago and snowy died of old age about a year later and we aren't going to have more pets (I'm allergic to dogs and he's allergic to cats and if its not cuddly- why have it!0

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#102880 - 08/31/04 02:07 PM
heather7476

Sorry to hear about the animals. I am going to have to take an allegery med because there is no way I am going to get ths cat and my DD apart. They are already buddies. I also loved watching tv and petting it last night very calming.

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 938 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1205

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review