View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hello & Mornings
      #331235 - 06/18/08 09:05 AM
CornFed

Reged: 06/17/08
Loc: Iowa

Howdy all,

I'm looking for some advice on how to handle mornings. They seem to be the worst part of things for me.

Bit of a background - I was formally diagnosed with IBS about four weeks ago. I've had it for about 7-8 years and knew I had it for about the past 1.5 years. It just took a long time to convince my doctors to get the tests done. So I've had the colonoscopy (went surprisingly well, thanks to advice I read on these forums), cat scan (barium sulfate is evil, evil I say!), blood tests, etc. I kept a food diary for almost a year. Luckily, pretty much everything I eat is either organic or locally grown. I also have a very active lifestyle between running, biking, rock climbing, yoga, etc. I have an occasionally stressful job (technology help desk manager for a private college), but for the most part my life is relaxing.

Mornings, however, elude me. I haven't been able to find a solid routine to stop the abdominal cramps or the multiple BMs on some days. Here's how a typical morning is setup:

Wake Up (6-8 hours sleep, typically 8)
Workout (3-6 mile run or a long walk)
2 Pieces Sourdough Bread w/Strawberry Jam
Bowl of Oat Bran Flakes w/Blueberries and Soy Milk (done about 2 hours after the toast) plus a Life Flora Probiotic capsule
Cup of Hot Chocolate (not a tea drinker or coffee, heat seems to help)

Afternoons are generally better. Normally I have a turkey sandwich and some veggies or leftovers from the night before. My wife is a vegetarian so meat is typically off the menu. Can anyone see something that jumps out and says "Hey, this will make your mornings better?" As a side note - I'm only up to Day 5 of 'IBS - The First Year', so if the answer is in there, just point me to the page and I'll keep reading:) Thanks much.

matt

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello & Mornings new
      #331246 - 06/18/08 12:39 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hello!
First of all strawberry jam makes me run.....quickly.
Chocolate is a nono until you are stable and then maybe not at all.bummer
Blueberries also make me run....quickly.
Not sure but Oat Bran Flakes might be if.
So far I think the soy milk and sourdough bread might be the only safe things.
My mornings are the worst too. I don't eat anything for breakfast.
Are your attacks after you eat or before?
I don't know if that will help but I hope you are feeling better soon.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#331251 - 06/18/08 01:15 PM
CornFed

Reged: 06/17/08
Loc: Iowa

Whoops, after re-reading my post, I see that I wasn't as clear as I could have been. Blame it on the morning pain:) Let me restate:

Mornings elude me because there are days/weeks that go by and I have zero problems whatsoever. The diet I listed causes me no issues and seems to work fine. Then, out of the blue, mornings will cause a problem again. I'm not sure what is causing it. Attacks are typically as soon as I wake up, mostly gut pain.

Blueberries - Small, organic, and dried. I just sprinkle them on for flavor.

Oat Bran Flakes - I believe they are from Arrowhead Mills. Box design changed but I think its them. Can't match it on the website.

Strawberry Jam - I might cut that out. I've had some doubts about it. Maybe it was the pectin or something, not positive.

Does this make it clearer?

#331278 - 06/19/08 09:39 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I was going to trash your whole morning routine - waiting too long to eat; sourdough bread often has whole wheat; oat bran sounds like pure IF; is there dairy in that cocoa - and I'd still be glad to do that if you want. Then I read your second post where you said the attacks happen as soon as you wake up. If that's literally true, then your problem is probably from the day before. That would also explain why most mornings you're fine but a few mornings you're not.

So when you have one of your bad mornings, think about the day before. If you're eating off-program one day it can spill over into the next.

As a preventive measure, consider eating something small and reasonably safe shortly before bed the night before. Applesauce with acacia; anti-depressant brownie; something like that.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 390 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3849

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review