All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help needed
      #278208 - 08/13/06 08:54 PM
concernedwife

Reged: 08/13/06

My husband has been living with IBS for over a year. We just discovered this website. His doctors ran all tests multiple times before coming up with IBS-D. He is at the point of not wanting to eat, extremely fatigue, low energy and very depressed. He has lost 30 pounds. We have tried several of the suggestions with some luck but it still is hit or miss. Any other suggestions? Looking for some normalacy in our lives.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help needed new
      #278234 - 08/14/06 08:29 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

I would approach the diet laid out on this website not as a collection of suggestions, but as one plan, to follow or not. It can take a long time (many months for some people) to really stabilize, but some results come much faster than that. If you want to explain what's working and what's not, you might find some suggestions here, but until you try the entire diet, completely, for a good bit of time, you can't really know what's working and what's not.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#278306 - 08/14/06 03:47 PM
concernedwife

Reged: 08/13/06

We are trying to follow the book as best as we can. We have done the supplements ( I don't know why the dr's didn't tell us about calcuim. ) We have eliminated trigger foods. Basically, my husband is eating bread, rice, pasta and chicken. We have tried other foods but they send him in a tailspin. Caffine and alcohol are also gone from his diet. He is now drinking peppermint tea. Our big question is how to deal with no energy and extreme fatigue. Our lives ( including our 5 year old ) revolves around this syndrome. Any help is appreciated.

#278325 - 08/14/06 08:12 PM
jaime g

The "Breaking the Cycle" diet, which is only SF, should only be used for three days at most. After that you have to start carefully incorporating protein, SF vegetables, and easy-to-handle IF. The protein and vitamin-rich fruits & vegetables should help with fatigue. His problems won't clear up immediately, but a few days of Breaking the Cycle should help him start to stabilize. A Soluble Fiber supplement is also crucial - since you have to gradually work your way up to a high dosage, it can take a while for that to help, but once it does it's invaluable.

--------------------
jaime

#278326 - 08/14/06 08:13 PM
jaime g

It also might help to repost your question (although maybe making it more specific, if you can) on the "IBS Diet" board. The fitness board doesn't get as much traffic.

--------------------
jaime

#278353 - 08/15/06 07:38 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Have you checked out the information on this site about hypnosis for IBS? Diet alone is often not enough to reach stability - hypnosis has been proven to help, as have anti-depressants. Stress and anxiety will cause attacks, so they need to be addressed.

--AC

#279050 - 08/19/06 04:18 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

has he had the colonoscopy etc before the doc said ibs-d?
this is super important as i just had a man who was sure, as was his doc it was ibs and at my urging his wife him get the colonoscopy and it was actually colon cancer, so if you haven't, please get all the tests done for chrohn's, colonoscopy and celiac disease. and yes, repost on the diet board, you will get waaaay more responses there.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review