All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
jury duty
      #273890 - 07/13/06 01:26 PM
sejdrn80

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: New York

I am scheduled to start jury duty in a big city that I am not very familiar with in the next two weeks. STRESS!! Any suggestions from anyone who has ever been there? I have never served jury duty and don't know what I am in for. I am wondering about meals, and how to prepare.

--------------------
Do the best you can each day, don't worry about the rest!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: jury duty new
      #274788 - 07/19/06 12:27 PM
Langley99

Reged: 07/19/06

When I was tapped for jury duty, I initially sent the form in, then thought " oh wait.. what if i have an attack?" because I tend to not sleep well and need frequent caffeination, and caffeine is a trigger for my IBS, (coffee especially).. I'd hate to have to go in the middle of a trial because I'm locked in the box. That kind of stress PERPETUATES the problem with me (IBS-D, btw, first post on this board but you guys all seem pretty nice).

Anyhow, I went to my doctor who wrote a note for me which I mailed into the jury duty people (i'm in canada, so things might work differently where you are). I got a call a few days later saying I was excused. It was a great relief.

#274835 - 07/19/06 02:26 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

I've never had to jury duty but personally, I think I'd try to get excused via a doctor's note too. Even when my stomach is at its best it tends to make intermittent wild cat/gurgling noises and needs feeding every few hours. If you're pretty stable and think you can handle it maybe there's someone you can contact about special food arrangements. There must be someone in charge of these things for the jury? I'd also bring lots of safe snacks with me to munch on during breaks.

#274906 - 07/19/06 09:31 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I got called to serve in nyc this year and was a complete wreck about it. I had a doctors note with me explaining my condition and needs. I never had to show it as I got dismissed on the 1st day. Your chances of that happening in the summer are even better as the case load slows down a lot from what I've heard. I know that you can't get out of jury duty in nyc with a letter mailed in about ibs, but a judge may excuse you rather than have to deal with the potential constant interruptions as you take your potty breaks! Good luck.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#276340 - 07/30/06 05:26 PM
dmason

Reged: 07/30/06

I was called for jury duty in North Carolina a few months ago. I asked my doctor to write a letter and it was sent to the address on my duty form. I was excused.

#342707 - 03/01/09 11:17 AM
sejdrn80

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: New York

I went to jury duty, and the trial lasted 5 days (one day was my birthday too). I made out fine. I kept peppermint altoids in my pocket at all times. I ate oatmeal for breakfast and brought my own lunch with safe foods from Heathers list. I went to bed early each night and made sure I was well rested. The stress beforehand was much worse than the jury duty itself. Thank you for all of your support!!

--------------------
Do the best you can each day, don't worry about the rest!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review