All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and birth control pill
      #268639 - 06/10/06 12:29 PM
Selina

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Czech Republic (EU)

Hello, and sorry for putting this question in lifestyle board, but I really did not know which board would be the best :)
I've been taking birth control pills for 3 years (4 various kinds). During these 3 years I experienced some IBS-like symptoms - constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pains and cramps, but not to the extreme - it was not hell, just the limbo :) Some good days, some very bad days, mostly average days. My GIT never was in ideal shape, so I didn't blame the pill in the beginning; later I became suspicious and finally I decided to stop taking it to see the difference. After a 7 months long break I started again, and there it is, the symptoms are back. I'm ready to stop again, if necessary, but I would very like to get to the root of it.
The first symptom is nausea, belching and a strange taste in mouth; I solved this with cutting off white sugar. The second one, constipation, caused by progestin, that slows down peristalsis; solved with lactulose. The third one, premenstrual diarrheas, caused by the same thing that causes the menstrual cramps. It's all smooth muscles, after all.

And the last symptom is my question. Somewhat the pill is causing my liver to make much more gall, or the gall bladder to discharge more gall, and that causes a great discomfort - abdominal pain, cramps, burning, diarrhea or that lovely kind of mixed diarrhea and constipation. The color of you-know-what is of course gaily yellow. How do the hormones cause this? I want to find out. My doctor does not know. Blood tests didn't show anything. I have a friend with IBS and the same problem, but she's not taking BC pills, and the cause of her liver/bladder behavior is unknown, too.
Can anybody help? Direct me to other message board? (I'm from an european country with minor language and I don't know the english speaking health/women/contraception space too well) Sites, studies? Thanks for anything :)

(I came here first, because this site helped me very much some time ago, when I was trying to find out whether there's something wrong with my GIT or I'm just a psycho and making my problems up. Thanks also for that :) )

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and birth control pill new
      #268649 - 06/10/06 12:54 PM
jaq

Reged: 05/20/06
Loc: Bournemouth, England

Not positive but some tablets contain artificial sweeteners and they are really bad for most IBS sufferers. I even found them in one type of Immodium the other day. I mean, if they put it in a tablet that's supposed to cure D then I'm sure the must put it in other types of tablet. I'm very sensitive to sweeteners but have no problem with my pill. I'll just check....

My pill is Yasmin and contains

Drospirenone 3mg
Etinylestradiol 30mg

--------------------
Never EVER give up!

#268654 - 06/10/06 01:42 PM
Selina

I've read about that - sweeteners, lactose and so on - but I've eaten those before and had no problems. Even now I can eat wafers with artifical sweeteners, yoghurts, homeopathic lactose pills, without any problems. I was taking B vitamin and other pills during the no-BC break, and those pills contain almost the same ingredients (lactose, sugar, corn starch, stearate, wax, colors) - nothing went wrong.

#268812 - 06/11/06 12:00 PM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

I`m no expert but there have been posts on here before (do a search) I`m convinced that the pill does affect ibs but like most things its one of those personal things...some it makes it better, others it makes worse.

hope that helps, do a search for more info

hugs jo x

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

#269075 - 06/13/06 12:56 AM
Selina

Hello again, I'm still researching the possibilities, but it seems to me I found the answer - it seems to be candida. Hormonal pills can (and often do) support the growth of candida in the body, which results in various IBS-like symptoms (plus many more, like tiredness, lack of concentration, eczemas). I will try the anti-candida measures and if that doesn't help, goodbye, pill.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1663

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review