All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Joined a new gym...any swimmers here?
      #260957 - 05/02/06 07:18 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

So I joined Lifetime Fitness yesterday. It's incredibly expensive, so much that I joined without my husband. I needed a place to workout where I'd have a lot of options, given that I'm 5 months pregnant now and have to be careful. My park district membership expired, and I had tired of their lack of equipment anyway.
So the new one has a nice big lap pool, so I figure swimming will be a really good exercise. I'm just wondering the best way to work up in distance. I did about 1/4 mile yesterday, with rests in between, and I was beat! I don't really do different strokes, I'm not that good, but I can get from A to B ok. Also wondering if I should use a kickboard, fins, etc.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Joined a new gym...any swimmers here? new
      #260993 - 05/02/06 08:32 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Not a professional swimmer here, but I wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!
Swimming is a spectacular exercise for pregnant women. It's easy on your joints that are being strained because of the extra unbalanced weight, and the buoyancy of the water takes that away.
I would say that whatever way you can get yourself around the pool, go for it. Flutterboards are great if you tire quickly. You can always do intervals. Float with the flutterboard, do some work with your arms, flip over onto your back and do some backstroke, WHATEVER!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 989

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review