All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Having trouble losing weight - need some things cleared up
      #260722 - 04/30/06 10:09 AM
DayGlowPink

Reged: 03/28/06

Hi! I need some help understanding some things about my BMR and losing weight.

I've been trying to lose weight, because I'm about 20lbs overweight (I'm 5'1", 22, and weigh 145). I started using Fitday.com three weeks ago and Heather's diet over a month ago. The first week I was using Fitday, I lost 5 pounds. Since then, I've plateaued. I used an online calculator to figure out how many calories I need to eat to maintain my weight(BMR). That came to 1477 calories. I read that to lose weight, I should eat my BMR-500. So, 977 calories. Pretty slim huh? However, on Fitday, it says I burn over 2000 everyday, the average being 2563. On days that I work, I burn about 3000. So, should I eat 977 calories a day or my average calories burned at Fitday - 500? If the latter, then could it be possible my body is in starvation mode? I eat somewhere between 1000 and 1200 calories a day, because I try to only eat when I'm hungry and until I feel satisfied. I take calcium tablets to fix my shortage and I try to meet all my required nutrients. Will my body ever come out of starvation mode?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Meghan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having trouble losing weight - need some things cleared up new
      #260744 - 04/30/06 03:21 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

K, I'm not a pro here, but I guess I can add my 2 cents.

If you walk a lot during the day, or work out, that should increase how many calories you need throughout the day. Maybe thats where FitDay got their number. I do know though, that typically in the beginning of a diet you lose a lot of water weight and then stop, so thats normal. If you eat 2500 calories a day on days you work, you probably won't lose any weight... I wouldn't trust how many calories it says you burn during the day though.

And maybe this will help, maybe not... but I've recently looked at CalorieKing.com (its free through work right now, so why not, right?) and the way they calculate how many calories you've eaten for the day is just the total of what you eat minus what you burn when you work out (doesn't take into account what you do during work). That number should equal the number that they calculated in the beginning for how many calories I should eat. They got that original number to be about 1300, and I sit at a desk all day. (My goal was also only to lose about 10lbs).

But I guess try to work out more than normal, or take a walk in the afternoon after lunch or something. That usually breaks up my day pretty well so I can focus for the second half of the day. Also try to not eat before sleeping. Thats one of my biggest pitfalls

Hope this helps at least somewhat... I think you're on the right track.
Good luck!

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#260934 - 05/02/06 06:03 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

977 sounds wayyy too little.
I lost weight with my fitdayBMR minus 500, but found that minus 750 I did better. Remember that the regular BMR doesn't take into account ANY exercise, its the no of calories you need to stay awake and for your body to function.

I usually aim for Fitday BMR plus exercise (remember to add the calories you burned for exercise) minus food eaten = 500-750, I usually try to eat no more than 1800 calories, but sometimes go as low as 1600. Can't answer the bits about the starvation mode etc...I know there are people on here who will come back with more scientific answers than this, but hope this much helps somewhat.

--------------------
S.

#261203 - 05/02/06 08:23 PM
DayGlowPink

Reged: 03/28/06

Thank you for clearing that part up for me

#261471 - 05/04/06 07:53 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Megan,

Post this question on CK's general forum, people there may be able to help you. I've also found that fitday's calorie expenditures tend to be a little generous.

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review