All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
hi! new here
      #247952 - 02/22/06 05:29 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

Hi everyone!! I ran across this board during a search. I was just diagnosed with IBS-D a week ago,but I've had symptoms of it since 2001.. I also have gerd and hypothyroidism.. I'm having the hardest time getting up energy to exercise! Does anyone have any suggestions on safe vitamins to take? Also what are some good foods for IBS-D that will contribute to weightloss? I'm not sure if I'm under the right topic but I hope so! thanks!

Chely

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hi! new here new
      #247962 - 02/22/06 06:29 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Chely, and welcome

Do a search for safe vitamins on the diet board - there are lots of good older threads on that.

For weight loss, there aren't really any foods you can eat that will make you lose weight. Weight loss is just about watching your portion sizes, cutting out junk food, and exercising. (And yep, this is the right board for any questions about weight loss! )

#247989 - 02/22/06 09:15 PM
chely24

Thanks for the response, i was looking through and i've never heard of most of the vitamins on there lol but i'll keep looking and see what i can find!! is it possible to lose weight with IBS and maintain it? I know alot of it has to do with my thyroid trouble..but I'm not sure if IBS can contribute to it. Also, are there certain breathing exercises or something to do when I get the really bad pain? Sorry for all the questions!

--------------------

#247996 - 02/22/06 11:18 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh sure, it's very possible to lose weight with IBS! Have you read Shell's story? (she's the moderator of this board, the story is in a sticky on the top of the list of posts) ...She's lost an incredible amount of weight, and she has IBS. Really, your thyroid will probably pose more of a difficulty than anything, and I'm afraid I can't be of much help there

If you're really having troubles with digesting vitamins, some people find that asking their doc to give them prenatal vitamins (whether they're pregnant or not) can be helpful - prenatal vitamins are made to be really gentle on the stomach. In general though, the one thing you want to watch for in vitamins is articifical sweeteners, which are an IBS trigger.

As for breathing exercises... hmmm I don't know of any specific ones, but I do find that deep, focussed breathing can really be key to getting me through the pain of an attack. This page on yoga breathing has some good articles and exercises that you might find helpful - in general, yoga and IBS go very well together.

HTH!

#248077 - 02/23/06 09:26 AM
chely24

Thats good to hear!! I just read Shell's story, how awesome!! it gives me hope!! now if I can just get energy to exercise I'll be ok! thanks for the yoga page, I will definitely check it out!

--------------------

#248079 - 02/23/06 09:28 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think you've already gotten great information. I can't think of anything else to add! I just wanted to welcome you to the IBS boards! Welcome!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2365

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review