All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
It's a really hard thing to explain, Julia new
      #242502 - 01/29/06 10:54 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's so hard to express my bod's reaction to sugars/carbs. I can handle beans/legumes in small quantities (with Beano! Lol!) Maybe it's because they're low g.i.? Who knows! I'm okay with a little soy (actually I love it!). But give me a bowl of oatmeal or pretzels or a baked potato...a slice of bread & it just bounces back! I know I'm wheat intolerant/allergic. The starches just choke my throat and explode out of my stomach. (I don't induce the vomiting that occurs)

Soluble fiber is awesome for IBS! I eat tons of it daily! (Actually alot of plant sources of SF are higher than a a bowl of rice without fiber, however many IBS'ers benefit from the amylopectins in it.)

It's a struggle to get over "issues" with types of foods or styles of eating. I totally agree about the "mentality" issue surrounding ED's. It's a need for CONTROL, for POWER!!!

At the moment, my biggest craving is for fats. I believe we crave, often, that which we lack/need, physically. So, now my challenge is to safely add a few drops of it. I need to get beyond the 10 or so grams/day that just naturally occur in the food. It's trying a quarter of avocado, or a tsp. of real fat source! It helps to absorb NUTRIENTS! So, today, I splurged on some "Wellness" dressings that have a little bit of plant fat. I, uh, use a lot (I permit myself to be indiscrete, to some degree about it!). It's about treating myself to hummus. (I have a nut allergy so that's a little lethal, but it's awesome that you felt okay about eating nutbutter with a spoon. I know that your body needs the zinc & the fats. I know our brains do).

One day at a time, right? You're very brave Julia. I applaud your courage.

Kate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks, Kate... new
      #242520 - 01/29/06 12:02 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

You are such a sweetheart.

It's hard to think of myself as brave sometimes, but when I really think about everything I've been through, and everything I'm dealing with, I guess I'm actually pretty proud of myself!

It must be so difficult to have both a nut allergy and a wheat allergy! Avocado is awesome...I eat it all the time. When I was first starting my recovery, my body really needed fats...I would literally wake up in the middle of the night craving peanut butter! But other sources like avocado and olive oil are wonderful as well.

Kate, you are also very brave and very strong. I respect and admire you so much...

--------------------
Julia

Re: Thanks, Kate... new
      #242535 - 01/29/06 12:57 PM
Wind

Weird anorectic dreams/cravings--those witching hour nudges. It's almost like a screaming infant inside.

I start dreaming of egg yolks, of real mayo, of Bacon & greens cooked in bacon drippings. Pretty gross, huh? When I was around the eighty pound mark I literally ate raw bacon. I literally drink cream when things start to dwindle and eat butter. So, I guess I dream of butter & cream & blue cheese & brie & goat cheese & whole eggs...cow fat, pork fat, cholesterol...

(side note: I actually shoplifted butter when I was severely anorectic.)

I think I just need a little "grease."

Kate.

Re: boozin new
      #242536 - 01/29/06 01:01 PM
Wind

I agree. Make sure you've got some food in you (SF) first. I always find vodka the "safest." White wine is pretty "safe" for me, too. Beer--never! Rum would initiate a really intensely beyond "blech" response. Drink lots of water, too after drinking. Water is very sobering. And the "soy" latte the next morning feels really really good!

Kate.

Re: water & booze new
      #242549 - 01/29/06 01:49 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

hydration is important - just make sure not to *chug* the water. i once was pretty tipsy, and feeling a little too drunk, decided to have a glass of water to keep myself okay. i drank it way too quickly, and got sick right after. make sure to hydrate, but just a word of caution as to how.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

white wine new
      #242866 - 01/30/06 04:44 PM
SueZQ

Reged: 01/30/06
Loc: Tennessee

Does white wine bother anybody? I love a couple of glasses of Pinot Grigio once in awhile, but with the cramping and IBS stuff that comes the next day, it is not worth it!

Sue

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6715

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review