All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question for Shell...
      #239483 - 01/18/06 12:18 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hey Shell, you are the gym expert so I'll ask you. What at the gym has been the best for weight loss?

I just joined a gym and there's the cardio and weight classes, cardio machines, free weights and weight machines.

Any advice on what works the best? I know you had a personal trainer too. I don't have one but your advice would be great! Oh ya, how many times a week do you go?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Shell's current workout.... new
      #239499 - 01/18/06 01:07 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Shell's current workout....

Mon: 1 hour with Personal Trainer, followed by 20-30 mins cardio (I preferrer the elliptical, easy on the knees and burns more calories then treadmill or bike)... try the "circuit" if they have one... a group of machines all lined up or in a circle that works all muscle groups.

Tues: Body Sculpting class at the gym (weight resistance & cardio combo class), followed by 20-30 mins cardio

Wed: Kickboxing class at the gym, followed by 20-30 mins cardio

Thurs: 1 hour with Personal Trainer, followed by 20-30 mins cardio

Fri: Yoga at the gym

Sat: Kickboxing class at the gym (9:30am), then I come back and take Hip Hop Dance class at the gym (1pm).... This might be a bit much for starters... I've also taken a Step class on Sat's

Sun: OFF unless it is a weekend for a 5K

Take advantage of the classes if they are free.... it is fun and the time flys by...you will have your workout done in no time...and you might even make some friends or find cardio workout buddies.

Hope that helps....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Question for Shell... new
      #239512 - 01/18/06 02:17 PM
Shell Marr

Tina: You can also email me (see profile) with a link to the gym you joined if you want and I can look at what they have to offer and advise from there.

--------------------

Not Shell but... new
      #239674 - 01/19/06 12:35 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

... thought I would poke my nose in anyway! Hee hee.

I have gone to see a personal trainer lately (and thanks to Christmas will be going again soon, hopefully Friday!) and asked her some of the same questions you asked so I thought I would share what she said.

The first thing is about frequency... She told me that to see good, and fairly quick results I should be in the gym 3 times a week. That is 3 times doing both cardio and strengthening exercises. She said that I should try to get in some activity on two other days -- either set cardio (running, walking, aerobics) or just trying to make sure I am more active throughout that day so I am getting my heart rate up.

She said that cardio is super important for losing weight, and also for a healthy heart! Jenny (Chinagrl) wrote a post a while ago with the number of minutes she was encouraged to do cardio over the week and she could break it down in different ways, as long as she got that number of minutes in. I will try and find the post for you and let you know what that number of minutes were.

A friend of mine who is on a national sports team (so works out like CRAZY) says that strengthening exercises are always better without the big machines than on them. All her trainers have her doing a lot of exercises with the Body Ball, free weights, and exercise bands. She has noticed MAJOR results since she started focusing on this way of training.

I agree 100% with what Shell said about the elliptical. It burns loads more calories than the other cardio machines at the gym, and it doesn't bother my knees like some of the other ones do.
AND about the circuit. The circuit is cool 'cause it's fast. The circuit at my gyms are all machines, but they have a whole wall of "success stories" of people who have been using it as part of "The Zone" (where they combine the circuit with the zone diet). Alternate between the machines and short periods of cardio until you do all the machines. Takes like half an hour, your whole body is done and you've done cardio too. I think that eventually you'd need a better program but I think it is a good way to start.

Aerobics classes are great, especially the ones that mix cardio and weights... the last one I did left my muscles in agony for like 3 days, but at least I know that meant it did what it was meant to, hee hee!

Hope this helps, good luck at the gym!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I'd second that! new
      #239748 - 01/19/06 07:49 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

strengthening exercises are always better without the big machines than on them. All her trainers have her doing a lot of exercises with the Body Ball, free weights, and exercise bands. She has noticed MAJOR results since she started focusing on this way of training.

I'd definitely second this! There are so many reasons that those machines will just slow you down. For one, you're totally isolating the muscle you're working on, which means that none of your other muscles have to work at all, whereas if you're doing free weights your other muscles (especially your core) has to work to stabilize you.

So if you're going to do weights, do yourself a favour - skip the machines and learn to use the free weights!

Re: I'd third that! new
      #239766 - 01/19/06 08:21 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

strengthening exercises are always better without the big machines than on them. All her trainers have her doing a lot of exercises with the Body Ball, free weights, and exercise bands. She has noticed MAJOR results since she started focusing on this way of training.

I'd definitely second this! There are so many reasons that those machines will just slow you down. For one, you're totally isolating the muscle you're working on, which means that none of your other muscles have to work at all, whereas if you're doing free weights your other muscles (especially your core) has to work to stabilize you.

So if you're going to do weights, do yourself a favour - skip the machines and learn to use the free weights!

Another reason why the classes are great!! And try to work in a Yoga class if you can too....

--------------------

Thanks Stephie! new
      #240336 - 01/20/06 03:59 PM
Sara-Sage

What a thorough response! Right now I am going 3X a week. But I do my cardio on the treadmill. Is that lazy? Is the elliptical the stair master?

Thanks!

Re: Thanks Stephie! new
      #240340 - 01/20/06 04:17 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Tina,

No problem!
3 times a week is great - 5 times a week is ideal, apparently and making sure you ALWAYS have one day of rest from cardio and weights.

Anywho, I don't think of going on the treadmill as lazy AT ALL!! In fact, I personally find the treadmill much harder than the elliptical.
The elliptical is not the stairmaster, but the machine looks sort of similar.
The stair master goes up and down and I find it really hard on my knees.
The elliptical goes sort of front and back and a little up and down... sort of like a combination of a ski machine and a stairmaster.
Try an image search in google to see what one looks like so you can spot it. Alternatively, if you just ask any of the people that work at the gym they can point you to the elliptical.

Good luck!!

Oh! And! I was also thinking, if you are wanting to try the different strengthening exercises I would see if you can book in at least 1 session with a trainer at the gym so they can show you some good ones. I have seen a trainer a couple of times and realised how INCORRECTLY I was doing a lot of the exercises and how much I could have injured myself.
Good instruction while you are getting started is def. important!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#240435 - 01/21/06 11:05 AM
Sara-Sage

What a GREAT idea... I will look into it.

Here's a link!

http://www.lucilleroberts.com/class-schedules.php?phone=718-279-2299&clubid=14

Re: Shell's current workout.... new
      #240436 - 01/21/06 11:06 AM
Sara-Sage

Wow, you're a MACHINE! I'm very impressed by your stamina!

The classes are free!

#240642 - 01/22/06 05:04 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

What a GREAT idea... I will look into it.

Here's a link!

http://www.lucilleroberts.com/class-schedules.php?phone=718-279-2299&clubid=14

GREAT classes.... if it were ME... I would take the 6:30pm Mon-Fri, Sat off, & Kickboxing Sun morning.... maybe also taking that Yoga class on Thurs.

It is easier for ME to take the classes at the same time each night...makes "planning" your life easier...

Let us know what you end up doing....

--------------------

#240643 - 01/22/06 05:05 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Wow, you're a MACHINE! I'm very impressed by your stamina!

The classes are free!

Thanks!!

WWWoohhhooo Free!! We like that!!

--------------------

#240746 - 01/23/06 08:26 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Shell. I agree that they offer some pretty cool classes.

I'll have to figure out a schedule. Right now I've been just going in the afternoons and doing cardio and weights. But I think I'd be more excited to go if it were for classes.

#240747 - 01/23/06 08:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Well, free as in they are part of the membership fee. They are not extra which some clubs charge.

#240782 - 01/23/06 10:38 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Well, free as in they are part of the membership fee. They are not extra which some clubs charge.

yes, like mine... included in the monthly fee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 396 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4911

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review